Is it sinful to extract teeth and/or do root canal?

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Ann Arbor
✟29,755.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see it sinful for two reasons:

1) It is a permanent change to the body. So it is sinful for the same reason as tatoo is sinful

2) There is actually a notion of alive tooth and dead tooth. Those procedures actually start out with alive tooth and end up with dead tooth. So they violate the commandment "don't kill".

But what is your opinion on this?

The reason I am asking this is because a dentist wants to extract a wisdom tooth and possibly do root canal on the tooth next to it. And I have reservations doing this due to the above.

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
My opinion: I think you're looking too much into this. If it's possible to keep your tooth, that's great, but if it's going to cause significant issues then remove it. Root canals are done on dead teeth; so the tooth is already a lost cause; you are just maintaining the tooth via a root canal.

I'm pretty sure God gave us wisdom teeth because there was an expectation we'd lose some teeth and the wisdom teeth were replacements--sort of like how our baby teeth fall out, only the back molars, being harder to clean, would likely get more cavities. Which is exactly what happened in my case. Lol. So I have a wisdom tooth in place of one of my molars.

But if the other teeth are fine, then removing the wisdom tooth will save the other teeth. It's more of a sacrifice for the survival of other molars.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟123,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
How does that affect the spirit of God within you ? Nothing about your earth suit is spiritual and has eternal life.

Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

If you are so intent on the commandment “thou shalt not kill” (which is OT) ….technically you are not doing the killing… the dentist is.

Upvote 0

Roman57

May 26, 2005
Ann Arbor
✟29,755.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How does that affect the spirit of God within you ? Nothing about your earth suit is spiritual and has eternal life.

But then how come it is sinful to take microchip implant? Isn't it the same concept: just like taking microchip implant alters your body, removing your wisdom tooth alters your body.

If you are so intent on the commandment “thou shalt not kill” (which is OT) ….technically you are not doing the killing… the dentist is.

But asking someone else to do the killing is sin too.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
But then how come it is sinful to take microchip implant? Isn't it the same concept: just like taking microchip implant alters your body, removing your wisdom tooth alters your body.

But asking someone else to do the killing is sin too.
What's the motive?

If you want to look at the spirit of the law, then what is the motive for root canals or wisdom teeth removal; if it's to save your teeth from getting impacted by other teeth; if it's to try and keep a tooth in your head for as long as possible before it crumbles to dust, these are innocent motives. Your motive isn't to actually kill, with premeditated desire and hatred burning in your soul, it is to preserve.

Even the man-slayer, who killed accidentally, was permitted to live in a refuge city. If you feel sensitive about the situation, I think you should view it more in line with man-slaughter than murder, but, I also think this is incorrect. :-/ It's just a tooth extraction. By time your 80, you're probably going to be missing a lot more teeth. Teeth aren't what I'd call permanent--much to my own personal dismay lol.

Also as far as the microchip is concerned; I, me, me personally: I think it's a non-issue. I mean it's creepy and I wouldn't do it, but I don't believe this is the mark of the beast, nor do I think it's some grave sin that will lead someone to burn in hell. The Mark of the Beast is a spiritual issue.

Don't look at the physical but at the spiritual.

If this is particularly bothersome to you, pray about it.

Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟289,698.00
Faith
Christian
I've recently had my two rear (broken) molars removed because my impacted wisdom teeth were growing into their sockets and were fracturing the molars off like shear nuts. There's NO way another living mortal was ever going to guilt trip me into even contemplating NOT having the broken teeth removed. God had spoken.

Your mouth will feel brand new once everything has healed up - your dental woes will be over. But if you don't have the work done, then you'll remember this post in a year from now when the toothache keeps you awake all night, brings you to tears and stops you from even being able to swallow water comfortably without feeling like a nail is being hammered through your tooth. And this is NOT a guilt trip, this is a promise.

See your dentist.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟123,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

1) It is a permanent change to the body. So it is sinful for the same reason as tatoo is sinful

2) There is actually a notion of alive tooth and dead tooth. Those procedures actually start out with alive tooth and end up with dead tooth. So they violate the commandment "don't kill".

The reason I am asking this is because a dentist wants to extract a wisdom tooth and possibly do root canal on the tooth next to it. And I have reservations doing this due to the above.

I seriously find it hard to even relate to your view of thinking. Very rarely do I ever think about sin and it I do blow it I just thank God for forgiveness and move on. But there are many people out there who are sin conscious…. as opposed to Son conscious …and judging by your post I think you could find sin in almost anything.

So…. have you ever taken an antibiotic or an aspirin …they both kill ….one kills bacteria the other kills pain…in fact your immune system fights and kills various cells and bacteria…..how far do you want to go down the rabbit hole with this. I was stabbed in the eye …it was not completely dead but the infection from the knife would have spread to the other eye causing total blindness…. should I not have had it removed because “thou shall not kill”….

If you are looking for someone to confirm your thinking (which almost borders on the absurd) you might be in for a wait.

You don’t need an answer from God to get a root canal …my dad was a dentist and I can tell you what the possibilities might be. An untreated root canal can lead to abscesses ….the bacteria will spread to others areas of the mouth and it can be life-threatening ....with heart attack, stroke, or sepsis ….oh! ….did I mention the pain ….(somebody else already did) it’s so intense you will want to violate that commandment you spoke of, against anybody around you.

Please focus on what has been done for you though Christ Jesus ….quit looking for sin …become Son conscious, walk in that resurrection perfection and the weakness of the flesh will vanish.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Where did this thought come from? Well we live in a fallen world where "death" evil and decay age hits everything. They dentist know that if wisdom teeth are not taken out when your young can cause so many more worse problems when your older. If they know those wisdom teeth will not effect anything else the will leave them. But .. this has nothing what so ever do to with sin or TATOO. Its do harm/killing.. what about all that skin alive that dies and falls off day in day out or our hair that is alive and we oops pulled some out.. the enemy is just playing with you.

OT ...ohh.. what we do today with TATOO's is not even close to what they did back then. Its like XMAS trees. Now they would do things to something cut down (Not like a XMAS TREE) and decorate it and then WORSHIP IT! Yeah.. who does this?

Now in my life if I had these thoughts I would pray and ask my Father.. ask Christ. I would ask my pastor of that Church I went to WORD CHRUCH means a Church that believes all the word gives healing LUKE 11 13.. holy Spirit all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums