• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is it ok not to work

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟926,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have to wonder whether people with schizophrenia could consider a career in creative writing or poetry as a viable means of income. After all, your brain is already manufacturing voices and people that aren't there, so maybe you should just write the tale of their adventures and sell it.

I think somebody in college with me had a similar idea in one of their stories, only theirs was a schizo main character and the story was told through their eyes, forcing the reader to work out what was real

I mean with me personally I don't have trouble distinguishing reality unless I'm in an episode and like my psychiatrist says by the time you realize you're in an episode it's too late. You're likely either manic already or psychotic or both.

We probably could write books I think that'd be the only thing a manic person could do. I wanted to go to school to be a theologian and make progression in the theological field (I love theology) but my mental illness has made my studies very difficult and I can't afford to go to school being on SSI. But what I like to do when I'm in an episode is play video games and fix computers. I find both really relaxing and they cost virtually nothing compared to other hobbies.

Aside from being a theologian I would pick software developer or computer repair. But, my mental illness makes it difficult to interact with people which, you have to do if you're making software or even more required, working on other people's computers. So mostly I just upgrade/fix my own when I'm normal. It's relaxing and it passes the time.

But yeah, I'd never get a masters of divinity or higher. Too much money involved and I'm way too unpredictable. My meds help keep me out of the hospital but they don't do everything unfortunately.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟207,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I mean with me personally I don't have trouble distinguishing reality unless I'm in an episode and like my psychiatrist says by the time you realize you're in an episode it's too late. You're likely either manic already or psychotic or both.

We probably could write books I think that'd be the only thing a manic person could do. I wanted to go to school to be a theologian and make progression in the theological field (I love theology) but my mental illness has made my studies very difficult and I can't afford to go to school being on SSI. But what I like to do when I'm in an episode is play video games and fix computers. I find both really relaxing and they cost virtually nothing compared to other hobbies.

Aside from being a theologian I would pick software developer or computer repair. But, my mental illness makes it difficult to interact with people which, you have to do if you're making software or even more required, working on other people's computers. So mostly I just upgrade/fix my own when I'm normal. It's relaxing and it passes the time.

But yeah, I'd never get a masters of divinity or higher. Too much money involved and I'm way too unpredictable. My meds help keep me out of the hospital but they don't do everything unfortunately.
I'm sorry to hear this. Perhaps you could consider some books on theology, if your mind is stable enough to read. Maybe start with How To Read the Bible Like A Seminary Professor. I would recommend Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar by William D. Mounce, both the textbook and workbook. You may be able to make some theological progress even without the benefit of college instruction. I would try, because God may be able to use what progress you are able to make.

Of course, there is the problem that you don't know what you're reading is actually real, but yeah. As they used to tell me in public school "anything is better than a zero". Even if you can't make it all the way to a "impossible" dream, making any sort of progress increases the chances and may help you feel better.

Upvote 0