Lexington
✟20,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If after doing all of that you still remain convinced that Christ our True God intended for us to not call our biological or adoptive parents “Father” or “Dad” or “Daddy” or “Papa” but rather “Brother”
You are adding words to my post that I never said to make yourself look good I suppose. If you go back and read what I said without adding your words to it you will see I posted a verse Jesus Himself said not to call any man rabbi cause that means Master and and there is only one Master, even Christ. Jesus also said in the next verse Call no man Father cause there is only one Father (after one is saved). What I did was post what Jesus said to a large group of men, Dad, Daddy, or Papa those three names you added.

Upvote 0

Akjv

Feb 11, 2023
Lexington
✟20,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The father of a child has a special Scriptural responsibility to raise that child in the faith of Christ and in so doing becomes their Father-in-Christ as well as their biological or adoptive father. And it would violate the Fifth Commandment for a son to call his father “brother.” And furthermore you continue to miss the point our Lord was making in the Gospel according to Matthew, that we must not take pleasure in honorific titles such as father or teacher.

And indeed, in the same epistle of Corinthians Paul talks about those chosen by God for different ministries, including teacher.

Thus, as a Christian pastor, my prescription for you is this: before I discuss this matter with you any further I request and require you to read or reread Deuteronomy chapter 5, which contains the Decalogue, and the First Epistle of Paul to the Corinthians, and the Gospel of Luke and its sequel, Acts, both by St. Luke the Evangelist, which restates the verses you refer to in the Gospel of Matthew and contains some additional content I feel you need to read, and then I will discuss this with you if you commit to also reading Ecclesiastes and Proverbs. I also require that you affirm the Nicene Creed and pray the Lord’s Prayer, and the Jesus Prayer, the latter being “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on Me, a Sinner” and the prayer “Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal One, Have Mercy on Us.”

If after doing all of that you still remain convinced that Christ our True God intended for us to not call our biological or adoptive parents “Father” or “Dad” or “Daddy” or “Papa” but rather “Brother”, I will discuss the matter with you further and I might even be prepared to concede to your argument, but in the absence of you reading and praying those scriptures and prayers I have required as a condition for further discussion of this topic, I cannot discuss this with you as I believe you have misread and misinterpreted the Gospel of Matthew, and in discussing the matter with you in a public forum, I would be facilitating the propagation of a doctrinal error.

God bless you.
There a lot of people that think Jesus was only preaching the same thing the Jews were used to hearing their whole life. I believe Jesus was teaching and showing the Jews he was the fulfillment of the one to come,
then
In Matt 4:17
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Then later we read Matt 23: 1-9.
1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

It is my belief that Jesus was teaching the Kingdom of God in Matt 23:1-9 which is different than what this large group of Jews were used to hearing from the Jewish Leaders whom they called Rabbi. in Matt 23:1-7 Jesus is describing the Jewish leaders to there face and to the followers of those same leaders. Jesus is saying STOP calling These Jewish Leaders Rabbi or Father. This has nothing to do with being at home and speaking of ones biological father.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟484,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You are adding words to my post that I never said to make yourself look good I suppose. If you go back and read what I said without adding your words to it you will see I posted a verse Jesus Himself said not to call any man rabbi cause that means Master and and there is only one Master, even Christ. Jesus also said in the next verse Call no man Father cause there is only one Father (after one is saved). What I did was post what Jesus said to a large group of men, Dad, Daddy, or Papa those three names you added.

Forgive me, it was not my intention to put words in your mouth. The reason I assumed you included Dad, Daddy and Papa is that they are semantic equivalents, indeed Papa is even formally used in several Romance languages, derived from the Greek and Latin Papem.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟484,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
There a lot of people that think Jesus was only preaching the same thing the Jews were used to hearing their whole life. I believe Jesus was teaching and showing the Jews he was the fulfillment of the one to come

On this point we agree wholeheartedly.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,012,104.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
As long as the parents are ok with them saying mom and dad and even with them saying they have the permission to say that they got their name from their mom and dad instead of saying that they were named after their mother and father? Does the bible talk about various punishments that are to be given if one says mom and dad instead of mother and father?

What would common sense tell you?

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,737,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I was not looking for my common sense I was wanting other opinion of it. Not necessarily yours though
Wait…you aren’t the OP. He responded to the OP.

• Useful
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0