Nov 9, 2013
✟247,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
From a Catholic perspective, Calvinism is considered to be a form of Protestantism and therefore a departure from Catholic teachings. However, the Catholic Church does not officially label Calvinism as a heresy. The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that "the word 'heresy' is used in a specific sense to denote the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith" (CCC 2089).
As alluded to above, the Catholic Church anathematizes doctrines, not sects. So Calvinistic doctrines are heretical, and this makes Calvinism heretical. I gave a source which identifies specific doctrines and specific condemnations of those doctrines above. You should really read that.

And again, individuals who hold to heretical doctrines are material or formal heretics. For example, double predestination is a heresy; Calvinism teaches double predestination; therefore Calvinism is heretical. But individual "Calvinists" may well differ from Calvin or the relevant confessions with respect to double predestination, in which case they would obviously not hold the heresies in question. So we can say that not everyone who uses the term "Calvinist" to describe themselves necessarily holds heretical beliefs.

Nevertheless, it is mistaken and misleading to claim that Calvinism is not a heresy. Calvinism is a heresy, just like Pelagianism, or Baianism, or Jansenism, or Monothelitism, or Modalism, or Tri-theism, etc.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟130,259.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As alluded to above, the Catholic Church anathematizes doctrines, not sects. So Calvinistic doctrines are heretical, and this makes Calvinism heretical. I gave a source which identifies specific doctrines and specific condemnations of those doctrines above. You should really read that.

And again, individuals who hold to heretical doctrines are material or formal heretics. For example, double predestination is a heresy; Calvinism teaches double predestination; therefore Calvinism is heretical. But individual "Calvinists" may well differ from Calvin or the relevant confessions with respect to double predestination, in which case they would obviously not hold the heresies in question. So we can say that not everyone who uses the term "Calvinist" to describe themselves necessarily holds heretical beliefs.

Nevertheless, it is mistaken and misleading to claim that Calvinism is not a heresy. Calvinism is a heresy, just like Pelagianism, or Baianism, or Jansenism, or Monothelitism, or Modalism, or Tri-theism, etc.
Clearly "Calvinism" can be used of the denominations that follow John Calvin's teaching as well as a designation for a system of theology. I've use it in the first sense.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟247,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Clearly "Calvinism" can be used of the denominations that follow John Calvin's teaching as well as a designation for a system of theology. I've use it in the first sense.
John Calvin's teaching is even more heretical than systematic Calvinism is. :doh: Systematic Calvinists tend to reject some of his most heretical teachings, such as the claim that God is the author of evil.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟130,259.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
John Calvin's teaching is even more heretical than systematic Calvinism is. :doh: Systematic Calvinists tend to reject some of his most heretical teachings, such as the claim that God is the author of evil.
Let us prayer to God in thanks for the abandonment of such errors.

• Agree
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Calvinism is a branch of Protestant Christianity that originated in the 16th century, named after John Calvin, and is characterized by
Thanks. . .

So then, to this issue of heresy:

its emphasis on the sovereignty of God,

But is the sovereignty of God not presented in Scripture in Da 4:35, Ac 2:23, Ac 4:28, Ac 13:48, Lk 22:22, Ro 8:29-30, Ro 9:14-29, Ro 11:25-34, Eph 1:4-12, 2Th 2:13, 1Pe 1:2 and in at least another 15 Scriptures?

the importance of grace and predestination. It teaches that God predestines some individuals to salvation and others to damnation, and that this decision is made before a person is born and cannot be changed.

Is salvation by grace (through faith) and not by works not likewise presented in Scripture (Eph 2:8-9)?
Is predestination not also presented in Scripture in Ro 8:29-30, Eph 1:5, Eph 1:11?
And is his decision to choose "from the beginning" (2 Th 2:13) to salvation from God's damnation (Ro 5:18) not presented in Scripture in Eph 1:4, 2 Th 2:13, 1 Pe 1:2 as well?
And is that salvation cannot be changed not presented as well in 2 Co 1:22, 2 Co 5:5, Eph 1:13-14, Ro 8:23?

It also teaches that the only way to be saved is through faith in Jesus Christ, and that good works have no role in salvation.

Is that not precisely what Scripture presents in Eph 2:8-9; i.e, salvation by faith only, apart from (not by) faith's necessary works which sanctify; i.e., lead to righteousness (Ro 6:16, 19), but do not save (i.e., remit sin, removing God's condemnation, Ro 5:18) which is only by grace?

Salvation has two parts:
forgiveness of sin - by faith only, not by works
sanctification - by obedience (works) in the Holy Spirit

I'm not seeing here where the heresy is in "Calvinism."

So my answer to the OP is "no."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟130,259.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Is that not precisely what Scripture presents in Eph 2:8-9; i.e, salvation by faith only, apart from (not by) faith's necessary works which sanctify; i.e., lead to righteousness (Ro 6:16, 19), but do not save (i.e., remit sin, removing God's condemnation, Ro 5:18) which is only by grace?
The statement you provided is a reference to Ephesians 2:8-9 and Romans 5:18, which states that salvation is by grace through faith. However, the Catholic Church teaches that faith alone is not sufficient for salvation. James 2:24 states "You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone." This idea is also reflected in other biblical passages such as Matthew 25:31-46, in which Jesus teaches that those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick, and visit the imprisoned will be saved, while those who do not will be condemned.

The Catholic Church also teaches that faith and works are intimately connected, and that good works are an essential part of the Christian life. The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that "works are the evidence of faith" and "good works are the fruits of faith".

In addition, the Catholic Church teaches that grace is not only the forgiveness of sins but also the sharing of the divine life and the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Grace is not only a state of being, it is also an active force that God gives us to act, to think, to love, to speak, to suffer, to give, to forgive and to live. The Catechism states that "Grace is first and foremost the gift of the Spirit who justifies and sanctifies us" and "it is grace that justifies us".

In summary, according to the Catholic Church, salvation is not only by faith alone, but also by grace that comes with faith and works, which are necessary for justification, sanctification and the sharing of the divine life.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The statement you provided is a reference to Ephesians 2:8-9 and Romans 5:18, which states that salvation is by grace through faith. However, the Catholic Church teaches that faith alone is not sufficient for salvation. James 2:24 states "You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone."

James is not talking about the same thing Paul is.
James is talking about proof of faith, while Paul is talking about the effect of faith.

This idea is also reflected in other biblical passages such as Matthew 25:31-46, in which Jesus teaches that those who feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick, and visit the imprisoned will be saved, while those who do not will be condemned.

In the context of the whole NT, true faith has works, but it is not the works which forgive sin (i.e., salvation from God's wrath--Ro 5:9 and condemnation--Ro 5:18) it is only the faith which forgives (remits) sin (salvation). The obedience of works sanctifies (Ro 6:16, 19), it does not save from condemnation.

The Catholic Church also teaches that faith and works are intimately connected, and that good works are an essential part of the Christian life. The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that "works are the evidence of faith" and "good works are the fruits of faith".

Which is not "good works save" (remit sin) like faith, which the NT teaches regarding faith only.

In addition, the Catholic Church teaches that grace is not only the forgiveness of sins but also the sharing of the divine life and the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

The NT issue regarding salvation is faith vs. works, the definition of grace is not the issue

Grace is not only a state of being, it is also an active force that God gives us to act, to think, to love, to speak, to suffer, to give, to forgive and to live. The Catechism states that "Grace is first and foremost the gift of the Spirit who justifies and sanctifies us" and "it is grace that justifies us".

In summary, according to the Catholic Church, salvation is not only by faith alone, but also by grace that comes with faith and works, which are necessary for justification, sanctification and the sharing of the divine life.

In the NT, justification (sentence of acquittal of guilt and declaration of righteousness by the Judge) is not by works of law keeping, but by faith alone (Ro 3:28, Ro 3:21-22, Gal 2:16, Gal 3:11).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Catholic Church does not consider Calvinism, a theology developed by John Calvin in the 16th century, to be heretical. However, it does disagree with certain aspects of Calvinist theology, particularly the belief in double predestination, the doctrine that God predestines some individuals to eternal salvation and others to eternal damnation. The Catholic Church teaches that God desires the salvation of all humanity, and that every person has the free will to accept or reject God's grace.

The Catholic Church also disagree with the beliefs of the "Limited atonement" which is the belief that Jesus died only for the elect. The Catholic Church teaches that Jesus died for all humanity, and that his sacrifice on the cross is sufficient for the salvation of all people.

In summary, while the Catholic Church does not consider Calvinism to be heretical, it disagrees with certain aspects of Calvinist theology, particularly the belief in double predestination and limited atonement.

Sure, it originated as one way of reading things in Augustine. If I were a Roman Catholic, I would agree it's not heretical while also not-agreeing that it's the Roman Catholic conception of Augustinianism. But that's if it were me.

Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The [Roman] Catholic Church ... [disagrees] with ... the belief ... that God predestines some individuals ... to eternal damnation.

Full disclosure: I am a Calvinist (in the Dutch Reformed tradition).

Are you prepared or willing to defend the Roman Catholic position on this matter?

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟490,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Orthodoxy doesn't count Calvin/Calvinism among the heretics either. Then again, Orthodoxy doesn't make that claim of anyone outside of the Church. For us, it's heterodox.
That said, if we are addressing 5 point "TULIP" Calvinism, all five points are contrary to Orthodoxy, some points more egregious than others.
Just as a historical footnote the Synod of Dositheus in the late 17th century, which is a local council and not ecumenical, did declare John Calvin an”heresiarch”, despite him not having been a member of the church. The occasion for the synod was the consecration of the Church of the Nativity in Jerusalem but the subject that prompted the bishops to have a synod were letters espousing certain Calvinist ideas allegedly written by the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople Cyril Lukaris, who was later martyred by Sultan Murad IV.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟490,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
The Catholic Church does not consider Calvinism, a theology developed by John Calvin in the 16th century, to be heretical. However, it does disagree with certain aspects of Calvinist theology, particularly the belief in double predestination, the doctrine that God predestines some individuals to eternal salvation and others to eternal damnation. The Catholic Church teaches that God desires the salvation of all humanity, and that every person has the free will to accept or reject God's grace.

The Catholic Church also disagree with the beliefs of the "Limited atonement" which is the belief that Jesus died only for the elect. The Catholic Church teaches that Jesus died for all humanity, and that his sacrifice on the cross is sufficient for the salvation of all people.

In summary, while the Catholic Church does not consider Calvinism to be heretical, it disagrees with certain aspects of Calvinist theology, particularly the belief in double predestination and limited atonement.
I agree with the CF.com Statement of Faith concerning the definition of Christianity, so I would not call Calvinism a heresy. Indeed I don’t think the Scriptures alone can either prove or disprove it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟926,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
since you're not john calvin his situation is irrelevant to the discussion.
So persecuting John Calvin for his calvinist beliefs -- a man who was in fact a baptized Catholic before coming up with Calvinism.. says nothing about the Catholic view f Calvinism??? Seriously?.

Your title says 'is CalvinISM a heresy" -- do you think that John Calvin believed in it? Was he persecuted for his beliefs?

Was it an error to persecute Calvin for his beliefs?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟490,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
So persecuting John Calvin for his calvinist beliefs -- a man who was in fact a baptized Catholic before coming up with Calvinism.. says nothing about the Catholic view f Calvinism??? Seriously?.

Your title says 'is CalvinISM a heresy" -- do you think that John Calvin believed in it? Was he persecuted for his beliefs?

Was it an error to persecute Calvin for his beliefs?
Well John Calvin became the theocratic leader of Geneva, so he was not the victim of persecution in the sense of St. Jan Hus or St. Jerome of Prague, who were burned at the stake for heresy (because they tried to reintroduce some aspects of Eastern Orthodox and Byzantine Catholic worship into the Czech church which was forcibly converted to Latin Rite after the Austrians conquered Czechia and Slovakia).

Indeed John Calvin actually was responsible for the execution of Michael Servetus (who was apparently a heretic in that he allegedly preached Sabellianism, but Calvin was equally opposed to Servetus objecting to infant baptism, as Servetus was a credobaptist) when Servetus came to Geneva fleeing the Inquisition in France, and the City Council had Servetus burned at the stake, which Calvin objected to, as he thought Servetus only deserved to be beheaded.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟490,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Full disclosure: I am a Calvinist (in the Dutch Reformed tradition).

Are prepared or willing to defend the Roman Catholic position on this matter?
I think there is a need for reconciliation between Calvinists and non-Calvinists, as there are saints in both sides of the divide.

I think the reconciliation lies in a mutual acknowledgement of God’s omniscience and His infinite love.

Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,992.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think the reconciliation lies in a mutual acknowledgement of God’s omniscience and His infinite love.

Reconciliation would require something more substantive than that. All of us already acknowledge God’s omniscience and infinite love—and yet here we are.

I think meaningful progress toward reconciliation could be made if we took the time to have prayerful, focused, open, honest, patient, and good faith discussions about our disagreements, because I think we'd end up learning that we probably don't disagree as much as we think. Such a discussion is what I was hoping to prompt. It might not happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟490,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Reconciliation would require something more substantive than that. All of us already acknowledge God’s omniscience and infinite love—and yet here we are.

I think meaningful progress toward reconciliation could be made if we took the time to have prayerful, focused, open, honest, patient, and good faith discussions about our disagreements, because I think we'd end up learning that we probably don't disagree as much as we think. Such a discussion is what I was hoping to prompt. It might not happen.

If you want to have that discussion, I am open to it, for I have been a Calvinist and now consider myself a Patristic-Orthodox non-Calvinist, not specifically an Arminian because the Remonstrant Church was a specific thing at a specific point in history, and unfortunately now it has turned into an extremely left wing church.

I want to say before disagreeing with any Calvinist doctrine my love for various Calvinist churches. I myself have been closely connected with the Congregational tradition, which is generally Calvinist. I also have a particular love for the Dutch Reformed tradition and was very sad that the Crystal Cathedral, which I visited on a few occasions, had to be sold, however, I thought the Roman Catholic Diocese was extremely respectful in their purchase of it, which enabled the continuation of the parish founded by Rev. Schuller of memory eternal. I regard him as one of the four great American televangelists, who used the medium of television to spread Christianity, the others being Mr. Rogers, a Presbyterian minister who was specially ordained to use television to minister to young children, Dr. James Kennedy, who insisted on traditional Christian morality, who I had the pleasure of seeing preach in person once at Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church (I saw Rev. Schuller a few times), and finally Archbishop Fulton Sheen, who was a great Roman Catholic preacher and bishop.

Unfortunately until recently the Eastern and Oriental and Assyrian churches have been too obscure to have much cultural impact, but I think the increased awareness of them will help Christian unity, because we have in these three traditions, closely related, three families of Christians historically subject to horrible persecution, by Communists in the case of the Eastern Orthodox and Armenians, and Muslims in the case of all of them, and also fascists in the case of the Ethiopian and Eritrean Oriental Orthodox people and several Eastern Orthodox people.

Now, I think, as I said earlier, the technical solution to the Calvinist-non Calvinist impasse is recognition that God being omniscient does know who will repent and accept salvation and who will refuse it, but we still have effective free will, because the deterministic nature of reality is only deterministic from the perspective of God. Thus we must have faith that Christ will save us.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟926,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well John Calvin became the theocratic leader of Geneva, so he was not the victim of persecution
Apparently Calvin did not share your optimism about his situation as he fled from persecution in 1534.

"In 1534, because of official persecution, Calvin fled to the Swiss cantons that were tolerant of Protestants. In 1536, he published Institutes of the Christian Religion, which outlined his beliefs on the Protestant faith and on how a Protestant community should be governed."

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟926,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I think there is a need for reconciliation between Calvinists and non-Calvinists, as there are saints in both sides of the divide.

There is are a great many common points of belief
1. Bible as the Word of God, infallible, without error.
2. Sola Scriptura testing of all doctrine, tradition, practice
3. Saved by grace through faith - Eph 2:8-10, created unto good works
4. The One God Deut 6:4 in Three Persons Matt 28:19 view of the Godhead
5. The Love of God who "is Love"
6. The miracles recorded in the Bible as historic fact.
7. The virgin birth.
8. The command to evangelize all the world
9. The bodily resurrection of Christ.
10. God as all knowing, all loving, all powerful, just and true, Righteous and Holy

I think meaningful progress toward reconciliation could be made if we took the time to have prayerful, focused, open, honest, patient, and good faith discussions about our disagreements, because I think we'd end up learning that we probably don't disagree as much as we think.

Good point. Getting to the "salient point of differences" rather than side issues is key.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟263,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do believe that Calvinism is a human made doctrine due to missing the big picture of what the Bible is trying to say. It's full of holes, but I don't consider that heretic though, as heresy to me means twisting the biblical meaning such that those who believe the doctrine won't be able to be saved. If Calvinsim is heretic, Calvinists won't be saved, which I disagree.

Reactions: BobRyan
maxamir
maxamir
the core of Calvinism is that salvation is of and belongs to the Lord and not to man (Jon 2:9, Psa 3:8).

Any theology that denies this is heresy.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟926,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I do believe that Calvinism is a human made doctrine due to missing the big picture of what the Bible is trying to say. It's full of holes, but I don't consider that heretic though, as heresy to me means twisting the biblical meaning such that those who believe the doctrine won't be able to be saved. If Calvinsim is heretic, Calvinists won't be saved, which I disagree.
Agreed. Being in error on some point is not the same thing as being lost.

Judas and Peter were in error on some of the same points. Judas was not willing to reconsider until it was too late.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.