Not open for further replies.

hraedisc

Veteran
Nov 6, 2002
Visit site
✟16,583.00
Faith
SDA
Is hearing the Bible necessary for salvation?
Romans 10:14
Romans 10:17

Is confessing with your mouth necessary for salvation?
Romans 10:10

Is seeking for glory and honour and immortality necessary for salvation?
Romans 2:6-8

Is knowing God necessary for salvation?
John 17:3

Is obeying God necessary for salvation?
Hebrews 5:8-10

See Mark 16:16

Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. Rom. 6:4.

Upvote 0

Beoga

Sola Scriptura
Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
✟19,681.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
duster1az said:
A "real baptism" by the Spirit is neccessary for salvation, but a ritual baptism with water is not. (Mark 16:15-16)

In Christ,
Tracey

stupid me,never thought of it that way before or heard it explained. that is good.your right, ritual baptism with water is not needed for salvation, if it is, works is needed for salvation.

Upvote 0

TransformedByGrace

Sep 22, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Visit site
✟4,587.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, you change your font by going to UserCP at the top of the screen, and choosing profile options.
If you want to know about the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, search that at the top of the screen, there are entire threads dedicated to this subject. It's somewhat hard to wome up in one answer. Read your Bible about the subject, don't just rely on what other people say.
God Bless!

Upvote 0

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
nebuchadnezzar said:
What is baptism of the Holy spirit then?
Read Acts 2, Acts 10, Acts 19. These will give you an idea of what the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is.
then read 1 Cor. 12. to get an idea of SOME of the gifts available to you after Baptism
Macca :holy: :angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
nebuchadnezzar said:
Is baptism necessary for salvation?
Pleas give scriptural backing. ;)
The theif on the cross with Jesus was promised Paradise with out Baptism, so no, Baptism isn't essential for salvation. But on thr other hand when Jesus was Baptised, He said it was required of Him to fulfill all righteousness, so it is strongly recommended.
Macca :holy: :pray:

Upvote 0

nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar
Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
✟217.00
Faith
Christian
Ok well, I was just trying to strike up conversation first. Here is what I found in the bible about baptism and it's necessity for salvation.

Baptism Necessary for salvation

Matthew 28

19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[1] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
A direct command from Jesus.
Romans 6
3Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
5If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. 6For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with,[1] that we should no longer be slaves to sin-- 7because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.
8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.
11In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.
If we are not baptized we cannot live a new life in heaven.
Galatians 3
27for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
Baptism is the way that we are united with Christ
Hebrews 6

1Therefore let us leave the elementary teachings about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death,[1] and of faith in God, 2instruction about baptisms, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.
Baptism is an elementary doctrine in Christianity

1 Peter 3:21 the Bible says:
"And corresponding to that, baptism now saves you (not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience) through the resurrection of Jesus Christ"
Therefore getting baptized is one step to salvation and of being saved. It does not say that it is an outward sign of inward grace.
Acts 22:16
"And now why do you delay? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name"
Therefore baptism washes away your sins
Acts 2:38
"And Peter said to them, "Repent, and let each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins"
Baptism is for the forgiveness of sins
Mark 16:16
"He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned."
Faith & baptism are equally essential. Because of your faith you are obedient!
James 2:24
"You see that a man is justified by works, and not by faith alone."
We are not justified before God by faith alone.
Colossians 2:12-13
"having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. And when you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our sins"
Raised up (born again) through baptism
Matthew 3:7
"But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, "You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?"
We are baptized to flee God's wrath on judgment day

Acts 16:25
"But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them"
What is the time?
12AM Midnight!

Acts 16:33
"And he took them that very hour of the night and washed their wounds, and immediately he was baptized, he and all his household."

This passage supports the concept of:
Baptism is urgent, don't delay...even at midnight.

As we can see that baptism is a physical act symbolic of what is said in Rom 6.

Upvote 0

duster1az

Jun 25, 2003
Southwest
Visit site
✟421.00
Faith
Christian
nebuchadnezzar said:
What is baptism of the Holy spirit then?
The baptism of the Spirit is the placing of the believer into the Body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:13). It isn't a second work of grace bestowed on those "worthy of gifts" as some believe, but is an act of God on behalf of the believer at the moment of salvation.

In Christ,
Tracey

Upvote 0

Under_His_Shadow

HowwellIre-Member
Feb 15, 2004
So.Ca.
✟1,223.00
Faith
Christian
duster1az said:
The baptism of the Spirit is the placing of the believer into the Body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:13). It isn't a second work of grace bestowed on those "worthy of gifts" as some believe, but is an act of God on behalf of the believer at the moment of salvation.

In Christ,
Tracey

Greetings in Christ, Tracey!

While I totally agree with your statement that none of us are worthy or deserving of receiving anything from God, including spiritual gifts, there are several "baptisms" mentioned in the Bible, and I believe the one you refer to in the above quote should more properly be called the baptism of believers by the Holy Spirit, into Christ's Body.

Although we seem to have drifted somewhat away from the original (water baptism necessary?) query that started this thread, since questions re' other baptisms have been asked, as my response I will repeat a few thoughts that I posted on this subject a while back at another forum:

I believe that Scripture teaches that at salvation it is the Holy Spirit who baptizes us into the Body of Christ (Christ's "spiritual" body, which consists of everyone who has received Him as their Savior and Lord) [1 Cor. 12:27; Eph. 1:22-23]. At salvation we receive a "drink" of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 12:13; Rev. 21:6, 22:17) as He takes up residence in our human spirit, and we have a "well" of spiritual, living water inside us (Jn. 4:13).

Being baptized "into" or "with" the Holy Spirit is a different procedure wherein Jesus, Who Himself is the Baptizer with the Holy Spirit (Mat. 3:11; Lk. 3:16) immerses/baptizes us (who, after we are saved, ask Him to) into the Holy Spirit, and various rivers/gifts/blessings of the Holy Spirit then begin to flow out of our spirit (Jn. 7:38).

At salvation, the Holy Spirit baptizes us into Christ's Body; at water baptism, an elder or pastor baptizes us into water; when we are baptized in the Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ baptizes us into the Holy Spirit.

Salvation occurs when the Holy Spirit is placed into us; water baptism occurs when we are placed into the water; baptism with/into the Holy Spirit occurs when we are placed into the Holy Spirit. These are three distinct types of baptism mentioned in the Bible!

Someone has said that at salvation, we are like an empty glass into which the water of the Holy Spirit is poured, and the baptism in the Holy Spirit, is like taking that glass full of water (us, now alive in Christ) and immersing it completely in the ocean (of the Holy Spirit).

God bless you!
U.H.S.
†

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

duster1az

Jun 25, 2003
Southwest
Visit site
✟421.00
Faith
Christian

Being baptized "into" or "with" the Holy Spirit is a different procedure wherein Jesus, Who Himself is the Baptizer with the Holy Spirit (Mat. 3:11; Lk. 3:16) immerses/baptizes us (who, after we are saved, ask Him to) into the Holy Spirit, and various rivers/gifts/blessings of the Holy Spirit then begin to flow out of our spirit (Jn. 7:38).
Not wishing to change the original consideration of this thread I'll say nothing more than I don't agree with your interpretation. If you feel strongly enough about this subject to begin a new thread I'd be willing to post my objections there.

In Christ,
Tracey

Upvote 0

Under_His_Shadow

HowwellIre-Member
Feb 15, 2004
So.Ca.
✟1,223.00
Faith
Christian
duster1az said:

Not wishing to change the original consideration of this thread I'll say nothing more than I don't agree with your interpretation. If you feel strongly enough about this subject to begin a new thread I'd be willing to post my objections there.

In Christ,
Tracey

Thank you for your offer Tracey. I certainly believe what I wrote, and agree with you (as I previously mentioned) that this current thread is primarily concerned with water baptism.

However, to be candid, since I have already shared a moderate amount of scripture relating to / supporting my view (and you have shared none), I feel no compulsion to re-iterate what I've already said in a new thread. I'm not seeking arguments or debates, just sharing and responding to what I read as I go along, but will make the same offer to you, i.e., if you feel the need to start a new thread to give your viewpoint, and are interested in hearing more from me regarding any questions you may for me on that subject, please let me know, and I will gladly respond as best I can.
Thanks again,
U.H.S.
†

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.