Is anyone here of English blood like we are?

RabbiJames

Jan 21, 2006
San Salvador
✟84,019.00
Country
El Salvador
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My little sister (she's aged 33) had a DNA test done and my family and I are 99% English bloodline and 1% Scottish.

Is anyone else here of English blood?

:)
I am a descendant of John Benjamyn, who lived in Chalvington, Sussex, in 1480. His descendants came to Massachusetts in 1619. I am the 14th generation.

Upvote 0

QvQ

Aug 18, 2019
AZ
✟103,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My Maternal side is Rackham. That includes Jack Rackham and Arthur Rackham, both famous artists. Jack Rackham's flag is perhaps the most famous flag in history.
I am not certain how those are related but a genealogist told me all Rackham trace ancestry to a soldier who came to England with William, Duke of Normandy.
For what it is worth...

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Primarily, yes. I did a test and also have studied the history of our family back to the early 1400s, and based on familial name they were probably Norman before then. On one side they were almost exclusively English, but the other side has some German, Swiss and Scottish.
I didn't get my DNA but have mostly English and German ancestry with Scottish and a smidgen of other Europeans.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The familial name before it was changed in the 1400s was "St. Leger" and then was changed in the mid 1400s, likely due to the change in the monarchy to the house of Tudor. Ralph St Leger of Ulcombe in Kent was Sheriff of Kent in 1467-8 and was constable of Leeds Castle in Kent. You can see his grave site still in Kent.

That family side was pretty local to England. Eventually they moved into Ireland as part of the colonizers in the North. Then they made their way into Massachusetts in the early 1700s but rather quickly moved to Pennsylvania and then down to North Carolina. One was a Loyalist in the war for Independence and was in jail in NC for part of that time....another on the other side fought and died in 1777 at the Battle of Oriskany in New York for the Continental Army.

Pretty much after that people stayed put until they made it down here to FL when it became a Territory.
Very cool.
Screenshot_20231020-220629.png

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟763,237.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My surname is Irish from my father's side (no idea when his ancestors emigrated to Australia), but my mother's parents came from England after World War I sometime. I'm not even sure if she was born in England or here.

There might be a claim to fame in that her maiden name was Middleton, same as Kate, consort to the Prince of Wales, so I suppose we were related way back in ancient times. Rather ordinary name though - my mother thought it was derived from "middle of the town" and I haven't been interested enough to research it any further.

What is it they say? Seven degrees of separation?

Anyway who cares?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,018,484.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That's British.

We originated from a small island in the atlantic that sunk 1,000's of years ago! One of my ancestors dug down too deep looking for a marrow bone he had buried and unfortunately it was like making a hole in the bottom of a ship while out on the high seas!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟108,044.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
my surname Heyes comes out of Lancashire were my Father was born and is recorded as far back as 1066 and means "dweller at the hedge" or "hedged enclosure" and my family crest is a serpent ... and whoso breaketh an hedge, a serpent shall bite him.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟763,237.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We originated from a small island in the atlantic that sunk 1,000's of years ago! One of my ancestors dug down too deep looking for a marrow bone he had buried and unfortunately it was like making a hole in the bottom of a ship while out on the high seas!!!
I wondered what happened to Atlantis! And all this time I thought it was due to an earthquake and a tidal wave!

You gotta watch these Brits! The Grand Canyon was created when a Scotsman dropped a penny down a rabbit hole in Arizona!

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, maternal side, confirmed by British Navy records etc for the Mayflower.

Paternal side, full Cherokee who fought in the Civil War on the Confederate side.
My husband had 12 Mayflower lines. I had only one. :(

Reactions: YorkieGal
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟996,290.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
You are actually of Welsh origin assuming you are a 'Pembroke' or 'Cardigan' breed.

Some say you were once war horses for fairies.

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,018,484.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You are actually of Welsh origin assuming you are a 'Pembroke' or 'Cardigan' breed.

Some say you were once war horses for fairies.

OB

Welsh, yes....extremely long ancestry.

My ancestors swam to Wales when their island sank! They liked it so much in Wales that they decided to stay!

As for war horses for fairies thats going a bit to far! It was for red backed Squirrels!

Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟760,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Half Arabic ancestry on my father’s side and American colonist ancestry ( 1630s Connecticut) on my mother’s side. Anglo ancestor was an indentured servant, last name Bennett ( also Welsh, Scots-Irish in the mix).

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Half Arabic ancestry on my father’s side and American colonist ancestry ( 1630s Connecticut) on my mother’s side. Anglo ancestor was an indentured servant, last name Bennett ( also Welsh, Scots-Irish in the mix).
A large portion of my early New England ancestors were from Connecticut. My Salem, Massachusetts, ancestor had 2 elderly sisters who were hung during the witch trials. :(

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟760,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A large portion of my early New England ancestors were from Connecticut. My Salem, Massachusetts, ancestor had 2 elderly sisters who were hung during the witch trials. :(
A large group of Connecticut colonists migrated to what is now Northeastern Pennsylvania ( & contested between Ct & Pa until 1784). I believe all of the New England colonists and the regional Native Americans were locked in a tragic war for survival in King Philip’s War. It is too bad what happened to your female ancestors (may they rest in peace) in Salem.

Upvote 0