Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am looking at purchasing a study Bible (Oxford Annotated or Reformation Study Bible) and am having troubles finding information about the longevity of imitation leather. I have pretty much always used genuine leather Bibles, but the lower cost of imitation leather is making it hard! Either Bible I go with will not be used as a "daily driver." I plan on using either one of these as supplemental Bibles for when I am at home studying. So they will be "babied." Does anyone use an imitation leather Bible? Any complaints? My dad always uses them and I notice he gets a lot of tears where the front cover meets the binding (where the book is always folded when opened). Is this common?

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Bonded leather are fairly inexpensive and they hold up pretty good, but they will eventually crack and tear also. I suppose all of them do with enough use. I have a nice leather one to use on occasion, then buy the less expensive cover for everyday use and replace it as necessary.

Upvote 0

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
I wouldn't worry about the cover half as much as the binding itself. No glue. Sewn signatures.
I agree. Sewn bindings are a must. I do have an exception, however. I have Goodspeed's translation of the New Testament that is hardback and glued. It was printed by the University of Chicago in 1951 and it is still holding together! Quite amazing, really.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am looking at purchasing a study Bible (Oxford Annotated or Reformation Study Bible) and am having troubles finding information about the longevity of imitation leather. I have pretty much always used genuine leather Bibles, but the lower cost of imitation leather is making it hard! Either Bible I go with will not be used as a "daily driver." I plan on using either one of these as supplemental Bibles for when I am at home studying. So they will be "babied." Does anyone use an imitation leather Bible? Any complaints? My dad always uses them and I notice he gets a lot of tears where the front cover meets the binding (where the book is always folded when opened). Is this common?

I have had several Bibles. Some were real leather. Some were "bonded leather" and some were "imitation leather." Think of the thousands of Naugas that had to be slaughtered for their Nauga hydes

In my opinion, real leather is the best. It holds up better. "Bonded" leather means that a very thin layer of shredded leather has been glued up, dyed, and embossed to resemble leather. It is okay, but I don't recommend them for daily use. One "imitation" Bible I bought barely made it home before I had to take it back and get something better. I, personally would always recommend the real leather Bibles.

One hint: While in the store, open a Bible you might want to use, and pick it up by one page. If the clerk tells you to stop, don't buy the Bible, and maybe pick another store. If the page even slightly tears or separates in any way, put it back and try another. I bought a dictionary that way, and it lasted forever. It, also, was real leather. The Dictionary salesman told me to do it, and it worked!

Reactions: tstor
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seems you get what you pay for. With the imitation leather I have found that about the time my Bible is nice and worn in it's also about worn out. I buy only leather and have for quite some time.

M-Bob

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0