Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟460,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just sayin', being on that remote island in Alaska for five years can do things to a man.

I hope no one tries to carjack him there in Chicago. There must be at least one car in Chicago that no one will try to steal and this might be it.

I think this is the type of car we are all supposed to be driving within five years if you listen to Biden and some of the European lefties. I hope it has a heater in it. Could be difficult finding snow tires for it too but he seems to be moving to a plan.

What’s that lean, green, pedal-powered machine on Chicago streets? And who’s inside it?​

It’s a velomobile, and the man behind the wheel is Greek Orthodox monk Father Ephraim, who moved to the Northwest Side after five years at a religious commune in remote Alaska. And who wouldn’t want to navigate Chicago streets in a vehicle not much taller than a fire hydrant?​

By Stefano Esposito

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟107,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just sayin', being on that remote island in Alaska for five years can do things to a man.

I hope no one tries to carjack him there in Chicago. There must be at least one car in Chicago that no one will try to steal and this might be it.

I think this is the type of car we are all supposed to be driving within five years if you listen to Biden and some of the European lefties. I hope it has a heater in it. Could be difficult finding snow tires for it too but he seems to be moving to a plan.

What’s that lean, green, pedal-powered machine on Chicago streets? And who’s inside it?​

It’s a velomobile, and the man behind the wheel is Greek Orthodox monk Father Ephraim, who moved to the Northwest Side after five years at a religious commune in remote Alaska. And who wouldn’t want to navigate Chicago streets in a vehicle not much taller than a fire hydrant?​

By Stefano Esposito

Aww, the car is so small and adorable, and would work well for a compact city where everything is close together, such as in a small and warm European or Californian town. You didn't have to bring politics into this one man (I highlighted the politics part in red).

Here is a summary of the article about this priest's cute little car:

The article by Stefano Esposito, published on April 5, 2024, introduces Father Ephraim, a Greek Orthodox monk who traded the peace and quiet of a remote Alaskan island for the bustling city of Chicago. While in Alaska, Father Ephraim lived with a community of nuns and relied on a kayak for transportation due to the absence of running water and insufficient electricity.

Now, in Chicago, Father Ephraim has chosen an unconventional mode of transportation: a velomobile, which is a pedal-powered vehicle from Eastern Europe that resembles a giant green-and-yellow popsicle on wheels. The velomobile, which costs around $13,000, is not a common sight in Chicago, as until recently, they had to be imported from Romania. A dealership has since opened in Minnesota, potentially lowering the cost for future buyers.

Father Ephraim shares his enthusiasm for the velomobile, detailing its benefits like empowerment and independence. He has encountered various reactions from people in Chicago, with some mistaking it for a drone or a motorized vehicle that requires a license plate. The police have also stopped him to ensure he's not driving a motorized vehicle.

Father Ephraim is now a priest at Saints Athanasios and John Greek Orthodox Church in Old Irving Park, and he uses his velomobile for running errands and visiting parishioners at home. His congregants have generally accepted his unorthodox mode of transportation, with some expressing curiosity or amusement.

Father Ephraim shares memories of his experiences in Alaska, including paddling to Kodiak Island and interacting with whales. He chose the velomobile as a means of transportation that would suit Chicago's winters, having survived an unusually mild one thus far.

Although the velomobile is not for everyone and requires staying vigilant due to its low profile, Father Ephraim has ridden it as far as Wisconsin and back (2.5 hr journey, one way). He believes that the unique vehicle represents a small part of who he is and embraces the possibility of standing out from the crowd.

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟460,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Aww, the car is so small and adorable, and would work well for a compact city where everything is close together, such as in a small and warm European or Californian town. You didn't have to bring politics into this one man (I highlighted the politics part in red).

Here is a summary of the article about this priest's cute little car:

The article by Stefano Esposito, published on April 5, 2024, introduces Father Ephraim, a Greek Orthodox monk who traded the peace and quiet of a remote Alaskan island for the bustling city of Chicago. While in Alaska, Father Ephraim lived with a community of nuns and relied on a kayak for transportation due to the absence of running water and insufficient electricity.

Now, in Chicago, Father Ephraim has chosen an unconventional mode of transportation: a velomobile, which is a pedal-powered vehicle from Eastern Europe that resembles a giant green-and-yellow popsicle on wheels. The velomobile, which costs around $13,000, is not a common sight in Chicago, as until recently, they had to be imported from Romania. A dealership has since opened in Minnesota, potentially lowering the cost for future buyers.

Father Ephraim shares his enthusiasm for the velomobile, detailing its benefits like empowerment and independence. He has encountered various reactions from people in Chicago, with some mistaking it for a drone or a motorized vehicle that requires a license plate. The police have also stopped him to ensure he's not driving a motorized vehicle.

Father Ephraim is now a priest at Saints Athanasios and John Greek Orthodox Church in Old Irving Park, and he uses his velomobile for running errands and visiting parishioners at home. His congregants have generally accepted his unorthodox mode of transportation, with some expressing curiosity or amusement.

Father Ephraim shares memories of his experiences in Alaska, including paddling to Kodiak Island and interacting with whales. He chose the velomobile as a means of transportation that would suit Chicago's winters, having survived an unusually mild one thus far.

Although the velomobile is not for everyone and requires staying vigilant due to its low profile, Father Ephraim has ridden it as far as Wisconsin and back (2.5 hr journey, one way). He believes that the unique vehicle represents a small part of who he is and embraces the possibility of standing out from the crowd.
Sounds like this "car" could work out for you.

And you could make a few extra dollars using it to drive for Uber.

:)

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟107,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like this "car" could work out for you.

And you could make a few extra dollars using it to drive for Uber.

Nah, I do not drive, nor live in the EU or California. Also, Uber is evil (warning, both Fox article and CNN article touch on the subject of rape) in my opinion. I am just saying that politics does not have to be dragged into everything nowadays.

By the way, your comment sounds kinda bitter. I do not like that. America is gung-ho on cars, when there are other solutions such as public transit. We can blame manufacturers for American car dependency. And I am not Orthodox, so I will step out of this thread. God bless, and take care.

Last edited:
Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
✟460,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nah, I do not drive, nor live in the EU or California. Also, Uber is evil (warning, both Fox article and CNN article touch on the subject of rape) in my opinion. I am just saying that politics does not have to be dragged into everything nowadays.

By the way, your comment sounds kinda bitter. I do not like that. America is gung-ho on cars, when there are other solutions such as public transit. We can blame manufacturers for American car dependency. And I am not Orthodox, so I will step out of this thread. God bless, and take care.

Have a nice day, Mate, and be well.

And if you get one of those cars, see if you can get a roof rack for it so that you can put your kayak or canoe on the top.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟107,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have a nice day, Mate, and be well.

And if you get one of those cars, see if you can get a roof rack for it so that you can put your kayak or canoe on the top.

Thank you brother, and good one man. For those that canoe or kayak, a regular full sized car, or a rental car would work best. Subaru vehicles are perfect for hauling canoes, while being fuel efficient compared to larger SUVs. :)

Reactions: Nick1000
Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We should pray for his safety. Besides the fact that Chicago is the murder capital of the USA, drivers are notoriously self-centered, inattentive, and generally reckless.

I'll say this: the man got cajones to be driving dat thing.!!!

Upvote 0

Wildflower3

Sep 24, 2019
Suburbs
✟10,600.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I somewhat know Fr. Ephraim! He confessed me once at a monastery in Wisconsin. He's very affable and after I noticed it was him in the article I was not the least bit surprised he would be using something like that. I pray he stays safe in Chicago. I love how he's using this submarine on wheels to cheer up the city, Chicago needs it bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟760,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I pray for more peace and levity for us all and that the good priest spread the faith in spirit and truth ( in fast motion) in his interesting vehicle to the likes of yakitty sax by Boots Randolph.

• Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums