Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Under the FTC’s new rule, existing noncompetes for the vast majority of workers will no longer be enforceable after the rule’s effective date. Existing noncompetes for senior executives - who represent less than 0.75% of workers - can remain in force under the FTC’s final rule, but employers are banned from entering into or attempting to enforce any new noncompetes, even if they involve senior executives. Employers will be required to provide notice to workers other than senior executives who are bound by an existing noncompete that they will not be enforcing any noncompetes against them.​
In the final rule, the Commission has determined that it is an unfair method of competition, and therefore a violation of Section 5 of the FTC Act, for employers to enter into noncompetes with workers and to enforce certain noncompetes.​

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟147,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Under the FTC’s new rule, existing noncompetes for the vast majority of workers will no longer be enforceable after the rule’s effective date. Existing noncompetes for senior executives - who represent less than 0.75% of workers - can remain in force under the FTC’s final rule, but employers are banned from entering into or attempting to enforce any new noncompetes, even if they involve senior executives. Employers will be required to provide notice to workers other than senior executives who are bound by an existing noncompete that they will not be enforcing any noncompetes against them.​
In the final rule, the Commission has determined that it is an unfair method of competition, and therefore a violation of Section 5 of the FTC Act, for employers to enter into noncompetes with workers and to enforce certain noncompetes.​
A win for “labor”?
Surely this will not stand!

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟246,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My very first professional job out of college required me to sign a non-compete agreement. I never understood how they would or could enforce such a thing, but I was young so I signed and actually abided by it. My next job was in a completely different field for 2 years before returning to my degree field.

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟71,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In the final rule, the Commission has determined that it is an unfair method of competition, and therefore a violation of Section 5 of the FTC Act, for employers to enter into noncompetes with workers and to enforce certain noncompetes.
Non-compete agreements protect proprietary information that an employee gains as a result of employment at the company. Non-disclosure agreements often accompany non-competes but are more difficult to enforce.

Nevertheless, the non-competes are still contracts requiring a quid pro quo. In particular, non-competes that I have signed in the past obligated my employer to continue to compensate me for the duration of my non-compete term. I thought that quite fair.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Non-compete agreements protect proprietary information that an employee gains as a result of employment at the company.

No, they don't, unless they somehow prevent the employee from using that information once the non-compete expires.

What they could, potentially, in-theory, do is provide the employer with some kind of stability by reducing turnover and/or protect their "investment" in an employee that they developed (not unlike how you have to stick around for a while in order to not have to pay back tuition reimbursement).

Nevertheless, the non-competes are still contracts requiring a quid pro quo. In particular, non-competes that I have signed in the past obligated my employer to continue to compensate me for the duration of my non-compete term. I thought that quite fair.
Unfortunately, that is often not the case.

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟71,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No, they don't, unless they somehow prevent the employee from using that information once the non-compete expires.
Silly ... just silly. All contracts are void at expiration.
What they could, potentially, in-theory, do is provide the employer with some kind of stability by reducing turnover and/or protect their "investment" in an employee that they developed (not unlike how you have to stick around for a while in order to not have to pay back tuition reimbursement).
More silliness.
Unfortunately, that is often not the case.
Nope. Suggest you update yourself on contract law. You are misinformed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Silly ... just silly. All contracts are void at expiration.

What I meant is that a non-compete wouldn't protect proprietary information. At best, the non-compete would delay its being exploited.

Nope. Suggest you update yourself on contract law. You are misinformed.
Misinformed on what? That a lot of non-competes don't provide for compensation during the covered period?

Upvote 0

o_mlly

May 20, 2021
Private
✟71,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What I meant is that a non-compete wouldn't protect proprietary information.
Nope. The contract does just that.
At best, the non-compete would delay its being exploited.
? That's exactly what the non-compete contract does.
Misinformed on what? That a lot of non-competes don't provide for compensation during the covered period?
Did you do any research at all? Absent an employment contract, a non-compete contract requires that the company provides sufficient economic consideration to the employee who enters into the agreement.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟305,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Non-compete agreements protect proprietary information that an employee gains as a result of employment at the company. Non-disclosure agreements often accompany non-competes but are more difficult to enforce.

Thus Spake the FTC:

The Commission found that employers have several alternatives to noncompetes that still enable firms to protect their investments without having to enforce a noncompete.

Trade secret laws and non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) both provide employers with well-established means to protect proprietary and other sensitive information. Researchers estimate that over 95% of workers with a noncompete already have an NDA.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟349,559.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

Did you do any research at all? Absent an employment contract, a non-compete contract requires that the company provides sufficient economic consideration to the employee who enters into the agreement.
Absent an employment contract. In many cases, the consideration is simply not terminating the employee if he signs.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Delaying is protecting?
According to whom? (prior to this FTC rule)

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
American contract law.
Even assuming you're correct, that doesn't mean that the mere threat of litigation hasn't been sufficient in many cases to obstruct employee movement and have the intended chilling effect.

Upvote 0