Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, I didn't answer the question yet. Let me first give you something to disagree with.

Your question: How does that song agree with the results of the NC which is knowing God which Jesus says is life eternal.

The verses (2 Cor. 3:8-10) contain some of these relevant aspects to the new covenant.

1.) A question - How shall the ministry of the Spirit not be more in glory?

The rhetorical question is answered ie. "Of course the new covenant ministry is more glorious than the old covenant ministry."
The impartation of the Spirit and the ministers of this impartation carry out a more splendid and glorious ministry
than Moses or the law teachers ever had. The old covenant came in glory. The new covenant is MORE in glory.

To know God's life by having Him imparted into us is more glorious than to only work for a God obeying commands
yet no inwrd fellowship with Him. The former is to attempt to work for God without the divine life of God indwelling us.

2.) A comparison - For if there is glory with the ministry of condemnation, much more the ministry of righteousness abounds with glory.

The old covenant and its ministry was a "ministry of condemnation". That is condemning because of the LACK of righteousness on man's part. By comparison the new covenant endows man and imparts to man righteousness which he lacked.
For this reason also it is abounding perpetually forever in surpassing glory. It is eternal impartation of divine righteousness to man.
This is because it is the dispensing of the life of the righteous God Himself in Christ as the life giving Spirit into man.

"the last Adam became a life giving Spirit" (1 Cor. 15;45b)
Who has also made us sufficient as ministers of a new covenant, ministers not of the letter but of the Spirit;
for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. (2 Cor. 3:66)

3.)
The new covenant malking the first covenant unglorified- For also that which has been glorified in this respect has not been glorified on account of the surpassing glory.

Paul goes as far to say the glory of the new covenant has "not been glortified" on account that the glory of the new covenant so surpasses the glory of the old. The "ministry of the Spirit" a Divine Person is a ministry of His LIFE into man.

The latter ministry is of divine and righteous eternal life into man. The ministry of the Spirit is also the ministry of righteousness.
The former is the ministry of condemnation exposing the unrighteous shortage in man placing him ever under God's condemning judgment.

Now if you wish you can explain how my expounding of verses 8-11 "ignores" what you call the context of the chapter described in verses 1-3.

The first three verses of chapter 3 -

Are we beginning again to commend ourselves? Or do we need, as some do, letters of commendation to you or from you?

You are our letter, inscribed in our hearts, known and read by all men,

Since you are being manifested that you are a letter of Christ ministered by us, inscribed not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tablets of stone but in tablets of hearts of flesh.
You seem to have forgotten what the result of the NC is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You seem to have forgotten what the result of the NC is.
There are many important results of the new covenant.
If you want to talk about what you regard is your top favorite one go ahead.

In terms of comparing verses 1 - 3 with verses 8 - 10 there the result is God Himself in Christ as the Spirit
being inscribed or "written" into human beings.

A little background to chapter three:

Paul is being pressured by certain ones in the church in Corinth to speak of the genuine apostleship of the new covenant.
Some skeptical Corinthians in the church questions the credentials of Paul and his few co-workers.

Paul is incentivized to speak of these matters in this chapter -
1.) The function and competency of the new covenant ministry.
2.) The glory and superiority of the new covenant ministry.

Verses 1-3 are not easy to understand. In essence Paul is saying something like "We need no resume or written letter of
commendation either to you in Corinth or from you. Your very existence as a vibrant Christian community is proof of
the effectiveness of our work. "

But the mysterious part is that there are two copies of this living "letter of commendation" of their very existence.
One is the church in Corinth itself. And the other is that in the hearts of the apostles all men can see how utterly
one and in kinship the apostles are with the church in Corinth they serve.

Are we beginning again to commend ourselves? Or do we need, as some do, letters of commendation to you or from you?
You are our letter, inscribed in our hearts, known and read by all men, (vs. 1,2)

All men seeing the church in Corinth and seeing the serving workers of that church can view
their spiritual harmony, oneness, and kinsmenship. That is evidence enough of the function and competency of the
new covenant.

Then we see God is being inscribed into man. In the analogy of writing the ink is the Third Person of the Trinity, the Spirit.
The apostles are doing the writing into men and on men's hearts. What they are inscribing in the living God as the Spirit.

Since you are being manifested that you are a letter of Christ ministered by us, inscribed not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tablets of stone but in tablets of hearts of flesh. (v.3)

A letter of Christ is being written. The writers are the apostles of Christ. It is the life of Christ being inscribed on human hearts compared as ink staining paper. Here a word, there a word, here a sentence, there a sentence, here a paragraph, there a paragraph is being inscribed on their psychological hearts.

The "letter" being composed spells out, describes, communicates more and more that Jesus Christ lives in them.
This is similar to Paul telling the Galatian churches that he was like a mother in labor causing Christ to be formed in the believers in Galatia.

My children, with whom I travail again in birth until Christ is formed in you, (Gal. 4:19)

Both analogies are about Paul's God ordained work to minister the living Person of Jesus Christ into Christians.
Whether it is the writing of a letter or the child labor of a mother, Paul and his co-workers' mission is to
impart thier Christ whom they live by into individuals and churches.

In Second Corinthians there is the concept that there is an identical copy of this living letter of Christ
seen on the apostles themselves. So one letter is the church in Corinth and the copy is seen in the hearts
of the apostles themselves.

This is a result of the new covenant ministry.
And this inscribing of the Spirit into men is taken up again in verses 8-10.

It is the ministry of the Spirit not of law of Moses. It is a ministry of righeousness rather than of condemnation.
It is a ministry subsisting perpetually in greater glory than that which accompanied the old covenant.
It is a ministry of the life of God into man rather than only information in letter form about commandments.
It is a unfading glory which begins inwardly and one day be manifested even physically. In other words
it will consume the whole person and swallow us up with eternal life and the glorious expression of Christ living in man.

These further matters are seen further along in Second Corinthians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There are many important results of the new covenant.
If you want to talk about what you regard is your top favorite one go ahead.

In terms of comparing verses 1 - 3 with verses 8 - 10 there the result is God Himself in Christ as the Spirit
being inscribed or "written" into human beings.

A little background to chapter three:

Paul is being pressured by certain ones in the church in Corinth to speak of the genuine apostleship of the new covenant.
Some skeptical Corinthians in the church questions the credentials of Paul and his few co-workers.

Paul is incentivized to speak of these matters in this chapter -
1.) The function and competency of the new covenant ministry.
2.) The glory and superiority of the new covenant ministry.

Verses 1-3 are not easy to understand. In essence Paul is saying something like "We need no resume or written letter of
commendation either to you in Corinth or from you. Your very existence as a vibrant Christian community is proof of
the effectiveness of our work. "

But the mysterious part is that there are two copies of this living "letter of commendation" of their very existence.
One is the church in Corinth itself. And the other is that in the hearts of the apostles all men can see how utterly
one and in kinship the apostles are with the church in Corinth they serve.

You are our letter, inscribed in our hearts, known and read by all men, (vs. 1,2)

All men seeing the church in Corinth and seeing the serving workers of that church can view
their spiritual harmony, oneness, and kinsmenship. That is evidence enough of the function and competency of the
new covenant.

Then we see God is being inscribed into man. In the analogy of writing the ink is the Third Person of the Trinity, the Spirit.
The apostles are doing the writing into men and on men's hearts. What they are inscribing in the living God as the Spirit.

Since you are being manifested that you are a letter of Christ ministered by us, inscribed not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tablets of stone but in tablets of hearts of flesh. (v.3)

A letter of Christ is being written. The writers are the apostles of Christ. It is the life of Christ being inscribed on human hearts compared as ink staining paper. Here a word, there a word, here a sentence, there a sentence, here a paragraph, there a paragraph is being inscribed on their psychological hearts.

The "letter" being composed spells out, describes, communicates more and more that Jesus Christ lives in them.
This is similar to Paul telling the Galatian churches that he was like a mother in labor causing Christ to be formed in the believers in Galatia.

My children, with whom I travail again in birth until Christ is formed in you, (Gal. 4:19)

Both analogies are about Paul's God ordained work to minister the living Person of Jesus Christ into Christians.
Whether it is the writing of a letter or the child labor of a mother, Paul and his co-workers' mission is to
impart thier Christ whom the live by into individuals and churches.

In Second Corinthians there is the concept that there is an identical copy of this living letter of Christ
seen on the apostles themselves. So one letter is the church in Corinth and the copy is seen in the hearts
of the apostles themselves.

This is a result of the new covenant ministry.
And this inscribing of the Spirit into men is taken up again in verses 8-10.

It is the ministry of the Spirit not of law of Moses. It is a ministry of righeousness rather than of condemnation.
It is a ministry subsisting perpetually in greater glory than that which accompanied the old covenant.
It is a ministry of the life of God into man rather than only information in letter form about commandments.
It is a unfading glory which begins inwardly and one day be manifested even physically. In other words
it will consume the whole person and swallow us up with eternal life and the glorious expression of Christ living in man.

These further matters are seen further along in Second Corinthians.
The result of the NC that counts is knowing God for that is eternal life. John 17: 3

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The result of the NC that counts is knowing God for that is eternal life. John 17: 3
Absolutely knowing the Triune God is a result of the new covenant.
And if we read on that momentous prayer of Christ "knowing God" includes these outcomes as a result -

That they all may be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us; that the world may believe that You have sent Me.

And the glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, even as We are one;

I in them, and You in Me, that they may be perfected into one, that the world may know that You have sent Me and have loved them even as You have loved Me. (John 17:21-23)

The answer to this mighty petition of the Son of God that we know God is seen in the last two
chapters of the Bible in the New Jerusalem, the eternal dwelling place of God in His sons - a Bride to match
Christ as His Wife.

This is our destiny and destination as partakers of the new covenant.
John 17 closing with -

Father, concerning that which You have given Me, I desire that they also may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory, which You have given Me, for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.

Righteous Father, though the world has not known You, yet I have known You, and these have known that You have sent Me.
And I have made Your name known to them and will yet make it known, that the love with which You have loved Me may be in them, and I in them. (vs. 24-26)

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Absolutely knowing the Triune God is a result of the new covenant.
And if we read on that momentous prayer of Christ "knowing God" includes these outcomes as a result -

That they all may be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us; that the world may believe that You have sent Me.

And the glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, even as We are one;

I in them, and You in Me, that they may be perfected into one, that the world may know that You have sent Me and have loved them even as You have loved Me. (John 17:21-23)

The answer to this mighty petition of the Son of God that we know God is seen in the last two
chapters of the Bible in the New Jerusalem, the eternal dwelling place of God in His sons - a Bride to match
Christ as His Wife.

This is our destiny and destination as partakers of the new covenant.
John 17 closing with -

Father, concerning that which You have given Me, I desire that they also may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory, which You have given Me, for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.

Righteous Father, though the world has not known You, yet I have known You, and these have known that You have sent Me.
And I have made Your name known to them and will yet make it known, that the love with which You have loved Me may be in them, and I in them. (vs. 24-26)
Just remember that knowing God comes from having the 10 commandments written in our hearts. All 10, not 9.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just remember that knowing God comes from having the 10 commandments written in our hearts. All 10, not 9.
Do you believe that King Hezekiah wrote the ten commandments onto the hearts of the Israelites ?

What is the difference between what Hezekiah did in turning the nation back to the law of Moses
and what the Son of God does? Are they indentical ministries to you? I mean Hezekiah reminded the
people of the ten commandments and Jesus for you does about the same thing? Right?

Or take Ezra who taught the returned remnant of Jews to give their utmost attention to the Law.
What is the difference between the ministries of Hezekiah or Ezra with that of Jesus Christ?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you believe that King Hezekiah wrote the ten commandments onto the hearts of the Israelites ?

What is the difference between what Hezekiah did in turning the nation back to the law of Moses
and what the Son of God does? Are they indentical ministries to you? I mean Hezekiah reminded the
people of the ten commandments and Jesus for you does about the same thing? Right?

Or take Ezra who taught the returned remnant of Jews to give their utmost attention to the Law.
What is the difference between the ministries of Hezekiah or Ezra with that of Jesus Christ?
Other than Jesus being our Savior, nothing. Hezekiah and Ezra both taught obedience to and trust in God. The same things Jesus taught.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Other than Jesus being our Savior, nothing. Hezekiah and Ezra both taught obedience to and trust in God. The same things Jesus taught.
How do you mean "Jesus being our Savior?"

Do you mean Jesus has done something beyond what Hezekiah or Ezra had done?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How do you mean "Jesus being our Savior?"

Do you mean Jesus has done something beyond what Hezekiah or Ezra had done?
Neither Hezekiah nor Ezra had God for their Father. I would have thought that needed no explanation. And neither Hezekiah nor Ezra taught the Jews to keep the Mosaic law. They taught the people to obey God by keeping the Sabbath.

2Kings 18: 1 NOW it came to pass in the third year of Hoshea son of Elah king of Israel, that Hezekiah the son of Ahaz king of Judah began to reign.
2 Twenty and five years old was he when he began to reign; and he reigned twenty and nine years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name also was Abi, the daughter of Zachariah.
3 And he did that which was right in the sight of the Lord, according to all that David his father did.

Ezra 9: 3 And when I heard this thing, I rent my garment and my mantle, and plucked off the hair of my head and of my beard, and sat down astonied.
4 Then were assembled unto me every one that trembled at the words of the God of Israel, because of the transgression of those that had been carried away; and I sat astonied until the evening sacrifice.
5 ¶ And at the evening sacrifice I arose up from my heaviness; and having rent my garment and my mantle, I fell upon my knees, and spread out my hands unto the Lord my God,
6 And said, O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift up my face to thee, my God: for our iniquities are increased over our head, and our trespass is grown up unto the heavens.
7 Since the days of our fathers have we been in a great trespass unto this day; and for our iniquities have we, our kings, and our priests, been delivered into the hand of the kings of the lands, to the sword, to captivity, and to a spoil, and to confusion of face, as it is this day.
8 And now for a little space grace hath been shewed from the Lord our God, to leave us a remnant to escape, and to give us a nail in his holy place, that our God may lighten our eyes, and give us a little reviving in our bondage.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gary are these sentences you wrote contradictory or is there a typo?

Hezekiah and Ezra both taught obedience to and trust in God. The same things Jesus taught.

And neither Hezekiah nor Ezra taught the Jews to keep the Mosaic law.

They taught the people to obey God by keeping the Sabbath.

I thought both of these men revived the attention to the neglected law from Moses.

Ie. Second Kings 18:6 - And he [Hezekiah] clung to Jehovah; he did not turn away from following after Him but kept His commandments, which Jehovah commanded Moses.

Ie. Nehemiah 8:8 - And they read in the book, in the law of God, interpreting and giving the sense, so that they understood the reading.

Under the leadership of these men at two different times they led Israel back to obeying the law of Moses.

I know neither was the Son of God. What I am trying to get from you is would you say that the writing of the law
of God on their hearts was equally done through Hezekiah's revival, Ezra's revival, and Jesus's revival?

Would you put them all on the same level of having accomplished this writing of the law on the hearts of men?

Yes concerning His person Jesus had God as His Father.
But I am asking more about the work of Jesus now.

Concerning the work of Jesus rather than His Person - is His work to revive attention to the law identical with the
same work as Hezekiah or Ezra?

Now I suspect that you may tell me that through Jesus we can receive forgiveness.
I ask is your concept of the work of the Savior Jesus only to secure forgiveness so that we can get back busy again
obeying such things as the holy diet, circumcision, and Sabbath keeping ordinances?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Gary are these sentences you wrote contradictory or is there a typo?

I thought both of these men revived the attention to the neglected law from Moses.

Ie. Second Kings 18:6 - And he [Hezekiah] clung to Jehovah; he did not turn away from following after Him but kept His commandments, which Jehovah commanded Moses.

Ie. Nehemiah 8:8 - And they read in the book, in the law of God, interpreting and giving the sense, so that they understood the reading.

Under the leadership of these men at two different times they led Israel back to obeying the law of Moses.

I know neither was the Son of God. What I am trying to get from you is would you say that the writing of the law
of God on their hearts was equally done through Hezekiah's revival, Ezra's revival, and Jesus's revival?

Would you put them all on the same level of having accomplished this writing of the law on the hearts of men?

Yes concerning His person Jesus had God as His Father.
But I am asking more about the work of Jesus now.

Concerning the work of Jesus rather than His Person - is His work to revive attention to the law identical with the
same work as Hezekiah or Ezra?

Now I suspect that you may tell me that through Jesus we can receive forgiveness.
I ask is your concept of the work of the Savior Jesus only to secure forgiveness so that we can get back busy again
obeying such things as the holy diet, circumcision, and Sabbath keeping ordinances?
You quote verses saying that both men kept the law of God and then try to switch it around to ordinances which Paul says were handwriting nailed to the cross.

Colossians 2: 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

You can't nail stone to wood. The handwriting was the Mosaic law given by God to Moses and written on parchment to show their temporary nature such as the sacrificial laws pointing to the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross which came to a natural end at His death. Also the law of blessing and cursing found in Deuteronomy in which blessings were promised for obedience and cursings for disobedience which were stored in the side of the ark, not under the mercy seat with the law of God. His mercy covered the breaking of His moral law, the10 commandments.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You quote verses saying that both men kept the law of God and then try to switch it around to ordinances which Paul says were handwriting nailed to the cross.
I quote verses to show a revival of law keeping was done by these two OT figures.

As for switching something around? I am not sure what you mean yet about me "switching" something around.
It seems a oft repeated theme from some brothers that ALL Jesus did as a Savior was provide an forgiveness.
Now of course eternal redemption supplies forgiveness of all offenses His salvation includes much more with that.

My comparison of Jesus with Ezra and Hezekiah are meant to derive from you what the work of Christ
accomplishes besides this forgiveness. The New Testament teaches a fuller salvation of Christ living in man
furnishesing the forgiven with the power of divine life unto righteousness.

There is "much more" beyond jusrtification to being saved in the whole realm of His indwelling life.
For if we, being enemies, were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more we will be saved in His life, having been reconciled, (Rom. 5:10)

As this Person is planted within us and allowed to grow, spread, saturate, and fill our soul we await subjectively "the gift of righteousness."
much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ. (v.17b)

To reign in life through this indwelling grace is the anticpated work of the Savior.
I notice some seem to limit "Savior" only to forgiveness such that we may resume the vain effort of
law keeping through our own inept striving.

To me that makes the Son of God's work just the same as a law keeping revival led by godly
men of the OT like Hezekiah the king or Ezra the scribe.

Colossians 2: 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
That is the utterance of God's apostle and one of the oracles of God. It does not say Christ did away with the morality of
the law of God. It says certain commandments in ordinances were done away by Him on the cross to create in Himself
one new man.

Three major commandments in ordinances as an example were three pillars of Judaism -
Circumcision - nailed to the cross and done away.
Holy diet - nailed to the cross and done away.
Sabbath keeping - nailed to the cross and done away.

These three ordinances were three impenetral requiresments which kept the enmity between Jews and Gentles.

But "the righteous requirement" of the morality (not ritual ordinance) of the law is fulfilled when we learn
to walk by the indwelling Spirit of Christ resting from our own religious strivings.

That the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the spirit. (Rom. 8:4)

You can't nail stone to wood.
The word of God says Christ did so. Where is your faith that He did?
We can be crucified with Christ. No?
We can be buried with Christ.
We can be raised with Christ.
We cab be seated with Christ.

We should stand on faith and equally believe "Lord Jesus, Praise You that You nailed to your cross the commandments in ordinances.
Halelujah! Lord Jesus I believe that You have created in Yourself one new man, making peace, breaking down the middle

wall of partition caused by the written commandments in ordinances. What a Savior You are Lord Jesus, our life, our peace."

I don't want to fight against His work saying Colossians 2:14 is impossible.
That is too natural minded. That is too carnal minded and immature.

The handwriting was the Mosaic law given by God to Moses and written on parchment to show their temporary nature such as the sacrificial laws pointing to the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross which came to a natural end at His death.
That is another commandment in ordinances terminated in Christ's work on the cross - the need for the blood
of animal sacrifices.

But you should not restrict this terminating work to blood sacrifices.
Colossians explains other ordinances have become nullified in Christ as well.

Let no one therefore judge you in eating and in drinking or in respect of a feast or of a new moon or of the Sabbath,
Which are a shadow of the things to come, but the body is of Christ.

Let no one defraud you by judging you unworthy of your prize, in self-chosen lowliness and the worship of the angels, dwelling on the things which he has seen, vainly puffed up by his mind set on the flesh, (Col. 2:16-18)

You see more than just the sacrificial offerings are mentioned. Also mentioned are new moon, Sabbath, the eating and drinking certain holy dietary ordinances.

They were shadows pointing to the body of the shadows as a reality - the Person and work of the Son of God.
We are to be rooted in His life and walk in His life.

No one can judge us proclaiming we are second hand Christians because we do not do Sabbaths, new moon feasts, or legally adhere
to the holy diet. These ordinances in the handwriting of the law were nailed to the cross by Christ when He gave Himself on Calvary.

You can't nail stone to wood.
Christ CAN do what we CANNOT do. And I believe the New Testament.

Wiping out the handwriting in ordinances, which was against us, which was contrary to us; and He has taken it out of the way, nailing it to the cross. (Col. 2:14)

Angel worship - terminated
Asceticism - terminated.

In there place we hold to the living Person who is the Head supplying divine life for the growing of His Body with the growth of God.
From this prize of an indwelling living Savior we should not be defrauded or robbed of enjoyment.

Let no one defraud you by judging you unworthy of your prize, in self-chosen lowliness and the worship of the angels, dwelling on the things which he has seen, vainly puffed up by his mind set on the flesh,

And not holding the Head, out from whom all the Body, being richly supplied and knit together by means of the joints and sinews, grows with the growth of God.

If you died with Christ from the elements of the world, why, as living in the world, do you subject yourselves to ordinances: (Col. 2:18-20)

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I quote verses to show a revival of law keeping was done by these two OT figures.

As for switching something around? I am not sure what you mean yet about me "switching" something around.
It seems a oft repeated theme from some brothers that ALL Jesus did as a Savior was provide an forgiveness.
Now of course eternal redemption supplies forgiveness of all offenses His salvation includes much more with that.

My comparison of Jesus with Ezra and Hezekiah are meant to derive from you what the work of Christ
accomplishes besides this forgiveness. The New Testament teaches a fuller salvation of Christ living in man
furnishesing the forgiven with the power of divine life unto righteousness.

There is "much more" beyond jusrtification to being saved in the whole realm of His indwelling life.
For if we, being enemies, were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more we will be saved in His life, having been reconciled, (Rom. 5:10)

As this Person is planted within us and allowed to grow, spread, saturate, and fill our soul we await subjectively "the gift of righteousness."
much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ. (v.17b)

To reign in life through this indwelling grace is the anticpated work of the Savior.
I notice some seem to limit "Savior" only to forgiveness such that we may resume the vain effort of
law keeping through our own inept striving.

To me that makes the Son of God's work just the same as a law keeping revival led by godly
men of the OT like Hezekiah the king or Ezra the scribe.

That is the utterance of God's apostle and one of the oracles of God. It does not say Christ did away with the morality of
the law of God. It says certain commandments in ordinances were done away by Him on the cross to create in Himself
one new man.

Three major commandments in ordinances as an example were three pillars of Judaism -
Circumcision - nailed to the cross and done away.
Holy diet - nailed to the cross and done away.
Sabbath keeping - nailed to the cross and done away.

These three ordinances were three impenetral requiresments which kept the enmity between Jews and Gentles.

But "the righteous requirement" of the morality (not ritual ordinance) of the law is fulfilled when we learn
to walk by the indwelling Spirit of Christ resting from our own religious strivings.

That the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the spirit. (Rom. 8:4)

The word of God says Christ did so. Where is your faith that He did?
We can be crucified with Christ. No?
We can be buried with Christ.
We can be raised with Christ.
We cab be seated with Christ.

We should stand on faith and equally believe "Lord Jesus, Praise You that You nailed to your cross the commandments in ordinances.
Halelujah! Lord Jesus I believe that You have created in Yourself one new man, making peace, breaking down the middle

wall of partition caused by the written commandments in ordinances. What a Savior You are Lord Jesus, our life, our peace."

I don't want to fight against His work saying Colossians 2:14 is impossible.
That is too natural minded. That is too carnal minded and immature.

That is another commandment in ordinances terminated in Christ's work on the cross - the need for the blood
of animal sacrifices.

But you should not restrict this terminating work to blood sacrifices.
Colossians explains other ordinances have become nullified in Christ as well.

Let no one therefore judge you in eating and in drinking or in respect of a feast or of a new moon or of the Sabbath,
Which are a shadow of the things to come, but the body is of Christ.

Let no one defraud you by judging you unworthy of your prize, in self-chosen lowliness and the worship of the angels, dwelling on the things which he has seen, vainly puffed up by his mind set on the flesh, (Col. 2:16-18)

You see more than just the sacrificial offerings are mentioned. Also mentioned are new moon, Sabbath, the eating and drinking certain holy dietary ordinances.

They were shadows pointing to the body of the shadows as a reality - the Person and work of the Son of God.
We are to be rooted in His life and walk in His life.

No one can judge us proclaiming we are second hand Christians because we do not do Sabbaths, new moon feasts, or legally adhere
to the holy diet. These ordinances in the handwriting of the law were nailed to the cross by Christ when He gave Himself on Calvary.

Christ CAN do what we CANNOT do. And I believe the New Testament.

Wiping out the handwriting in ordinances, which was against us, which was contrary to us; and He has taken it out of the way, nailing it to the cross. (Col. 2:14)

Angel worship - terminated
Asceticism - terminated.

In there place we hold to the living Person who is the Head supplying divine life for the growing of His Body with the growth of God.
From this prize of an indwelling living Savior we should not be defrauded or robbed of enjoyment.

Let no one defraud you by judging you unworthy of your prize, in self-chosen lowliness and the worship of the angels, dwelling on the things which he has seen, vainly puffed up by his mind set on the flesh,

And not holding the Head, out from whom all the Body, being richly supplied and knit together by means of the joints and sinews, grows with the growth of God.

If you died with Christ from the elements of the world, why, as living in the world, do you subject yourselves to ordinances: (Col. 2:18-20)
The 10 commandments are not ordinances. Never does the Bible call them that. You keep on reading ordinances into commandments. My mind is not Set on the flesh. The works of the flesh are the violation of the 10.

Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I am focusing on the fruit of the Spirit which violates no law. That includes the 10 commandments.

Galatians 5: 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Your basic premise is that sin is more powerful than God. It isn't. It's the product of a finite being therefore an infinite God is infinitely more powerful than sin. He can and does overcome it.

I went from a drug addict and alcoholic despised by my entire family to drug and alcohol free for the last 3 decades. I was so psychologically addicted to pot I would walk down the street and just smell the odor of pot smoke on someone's breath or clothing and I would get all the physical symptoms of being stoned.

The rejection by my entire family was harder to get over but I'm past it. I'm able to make close friend now and rather quickly. There are miracles that happen from knowing God. And I live with full assurance of salvation and a clear conscience.. That is what God wants to do for each of us, but it's impossible for Him to do for those who don't believe it is possible to overcome sin and it's scars.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The 10 commandments are not ordinances. Never does the Bible call them that. You keep on reading ordinances into commandments. My mind is not Set on the flesh. The works of the flesh are the violation of the 10.
I am reading exactly these words "the handwriting in ordinances," Now we have to seek light and understanding that THAT is
what the Holy Spirit inspired Paul to write. It is not my fault. Come on Gary. You're reading the same thing.

We can get more light when we compare Colossians 2:14 with another similar passage in Ephesians 2:15.

Abolishing in His flesh the law of the commandments in ordinances,
that He might create the two in Himself into one new man, so making peace, (Eph. 2:15)

Christ obliterated something on His cross. What does it mean - the law of the commandments in ordinances?
What would it mean - the handwriting in ordinances?

The two must refer to the same matter. I do not read this and think "Oh boy! Now I can be immoral. Oh boy!
Now I can be a fornicator or an idolator or practice witchcraft because
the commandments in ordinances have been
nailed to the cross."

It would be an insult to my Christian intelligence to presume I take
Colossians 2:14 and Ephesians 2:15 as license
to live in the flesh. The same New Testament tells me -

We must seek to understand by experience and not use one part of the word of God to suppress another part of the word.

These "commandments in ordinances" whatever they are a "middle wall" dividing people whom God desires to make one new humanity.
These "commandments in ordinances" disallow the peace which Christ seeks to bring all the saved.
For He Himself is our peace, He who has made both one and has broken down the middle wall of partition, the enmity, (Eph. 2:14)

These "commandments in ordinances" He did not preserve but abolished.
Abolishing in His flesh the law of the commandments in ordinances, (Eph. 2:15a)

This handwriting in ordinances was not FOR us but AGAINST us believers. It was contrary to us.
Wiping out the handwriting in ordinances, which was against us, which was contrary to us; (Col.2:14a)

This handwriting in ordinances Christ did not preserve for us but wiped it out.
Wiping out the handwriting in ordinances,

In its place we have been both forgiven and also made alive with new divine life.
He made alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our offenses; (Col. 2:13)

His blood has also cleansed our conscience from "dead works" that we may serve "the living God."
How much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God? (Heb. 9:14)

Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Praise the Lord. Did I at any time teach something contrary to this? I did not.
We must grow or the reward of entering into the one thousand year millennial kingdom of God we may miss.

In fact this freedom in the Spirit is not to be used as an occasion to continue living in the sinful flesh - the fallen man which by faith
we believe was crucified with Christ - and buried with Him.

For you were called for freedom, brothers; only do not turn this freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, (Gal. 5:13a)

But for freedom Christ has set us free.

I am focusing on the fruit of the Spirit which violates no law. That includes the 10 commandments.
I am glad you want to emphasize the Spirit and the fruits of walking by Him.
I rejoice that you bring this up.

Galatians 5: 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Amen.
I have a song on that too I'd like to share with readers.

Your basic premise is that sin is more powerful than God.
No that is not my premise. Sin is more powerful than the religious man.
Man seeking to keep God's law ends in condemnation from God and in self condemnation too.

Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from the body of this death?
Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh, the law of sin. (Rom. 7:24,25)

So the more powerful one who can free us is the processed Triune God reaching the ultimate expression
as Jesus Christ as the indwelling the Spirit of life indwelling our spirit.

There is now then no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus.
For the law of the Spirit of life has freed me in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and of death. (Rom. 8:1,2)

The processed Triune God as Christ in us is the more powerful one who alone can overcome the sin nature. Right?
And this empowering grace Paul said we should allow His complete work in us. He did not nullify the grace of God.

I am crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness is through law, then Christ has died for nothing. (Gal. 2:20,21)

It isn't. It's the product of a finite being therefore an infinite God is infinitely more powerful than sin. He can and does overcome it.
Your saying that I teach that sin is more poweful than God is a complete error. Please correct the error.
You cannot build an argument on this misunderstanding.

Romans 6, 7 and 8 are the main chapters in the basi book on the more powerfulness of the Triune God.
And His desire to dispense His divine life in Jesus Christ into our being.

Included in this consummate Spirit of life is the terminating power of His death. In this Spirit is also
the killing power to put to death the practices of the sin filled body. We must learn to apply the Spirit to
terminate by HIS POWER all the negative things in us and even our SELF centered old man.

So then, brothers, we are debtors not to the flesh to live according to the flesh;
For if you live according to the flesh, you must die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the practices of the body, you will live. (Rom. 8:12,13)

As we should not be ignorant that we have been crucified and buried with Christ -
Or are you ignorant that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? (Rom. 6:3)

So also by the same faith we must stand upon the facts that the handwriting of ordinances which was against us Christ
has wiped away and nailed to His cross in His death. And He abolished in His flesh the law of commandments in ordinanes.

that He might create the two in Himself into one new man, so making peace, (Eph. 2:15)

I went from a drug addict and alcoholic despised by my entire family to drug and alcohol free for the last 3 decades. I was so psychologically addicted to pot I would walk down the street and just smell the odor of pot smoke on someone's breath or clothing and I would get all the physical symptoms of being stoned.
Thankyou for sharing your testimony. This is wonderful that you found deliverance and victory in Jesus Christ.
The rejection by my entire family was harder to get over but I'm past it. I'm able to make close friend now and rather quickly. There are miracles that happen from knowing God. And I live with full assurance of salvation and a clear conscience.. That is what God wants to do for each of us, but it's impossible for Him to do for those who don't believe it is possible to overcome sin and it's scars.

This is good news to all. Christ in us is the Victor who has overcome the world. By His life we too can overcome.

These things I have spoken to you that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have affliction, but take courage; I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)

I will share with you some of the triumphs Christ has wrought in me soon in turn.
He has helped me overcome the sinful things and also the things of self for transformation and building up in His Body.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am reading exactly these words "the handwriting in ordinances," Now we have to seek light and understanding that THAT is
what the Holy Spirit inspired Paul to write. It is not my fault. Come on Gary. You're reading the same thing.

We can get more light when we compare Colossians 2:14 with another similar passage in Ephesians 2:15.

Christ obliterated something on His cross. What does it mean - the law of the commandments in ordinances?

The two must refer to the same matter. I do not read this and think "Oh boy! Now I can be immoral. Oh boy!
Now I can be a fornicator or an idolator or practice witchcraft because the commandments in ordinances have been
nailed to the cross."

It would be an insult to my Christian intelligence to presume I take Colossians 2:14 and Ephesians 2:15 as license

We must seek to understand by experience and not use one part of the word of God to suppress another part of the word.

These "commandments in ordinances" whatever they are a "middle wall" dividing people whom God desires to make one new humanity.
These "commandments in ordinances" disallow the peace which Christ seeks to bring all the saved.
For He Himself is our peace, He who has made both one and has broken down the middle wall of partition, the enmity, (Eph. 2:14)

This handwriting in ordinances was not FOR us but AGAINST us believers. It was contrary to us.
Wiping out the handwriting in ordinances, which was against us, which was contrary to us; (Col.2:14a)

In its place we have been both forgiven and also made alive with new divine life.
He made alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our offenses; (Col. 2:13)

His blood has also cleansed our conscience from "dead works" that we may serve "the living God."
How much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God? (Heb. 9:14)

We must grow or the reward of entering into the one thousand year millennial kingdom of God we may miss.

In fact this freedom in the Spirit is not to be used as an occasion to continue living in the sinful flesh - the fallen man which by faith

For you were called for freedom, brothers; only do not turn this freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, (Gal. 5:13a)

Amen.

Man seeking to keep God's law ends in condemnation from God and in self condemnation too.

So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh, the law of sin. (Rom. 7:24,25)

So the more powerful one who can free us is the processed Triune God reaching the ultimate expression

For the law of the Spirit of life has freed me in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and of death. (Rom. 8:1,2)

The processed Triune God as Christ in us is the more powerful one who alone can overcome the sin nature. Right?
And this empowering grace Paul said we should allow His complete work in us. He did not nullify the grace of God.

I am crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness is through law, then Christ has died for nothing. (Gal. 2:20,21)

Your saying that I teach that sin is more poweful than God is a complete error. Please correct the error.

Romans 6, 7 and 8 are the main chapters in the basi book on the more powerfulness of the Triune God.

Included in this consummate Spirit of life is the terminating power of His death. In this Spirit is also
the killing power to put to death the practices of the sin filled body. We must learn to apply the Spirit to
terminate by HIS POWER all the negative things in us and even our SELF centered old man.

So then, brothers, we are debtors not to the flesh to live according to the flesh;
For if you live according to the flesh, you must die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the practices of the body, you will live. (Rom. 8:12,13)

As we should not be ignorant that we have been crucified and buried with Christ -
Or are you ignorant that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? (Rom. 6:3)

So also by the same faith we must stand upon the facts that the handwriting of ordinances which was against us Christ
has wiped away and nailed to His cross in His death. And He abolished in His flesh the law of commandments in ordinanes.

Thankyou for sharing your testimony. This is wonderful that you found deliverance and victory in Jesus Christ.

This is good news to all. Christ in us is the Victor who has overcome the world. By His life we too can overcome.
These things I have spoken to you that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have affliction, but take courage; I have overcome the world. (John 16:33)

I will share with you some of the triumphs Christ has wrought in me soon in turn.
He has helped me overcome the sinful things and also the things of self for transformation and building up in His Body.
Why is it an insult to your intelligence to tell you exactly the same thing you tell me?

I never said I can keep God's law through my own power. I quoted Galatians 5: 21, 22 which tells us the the fruit of the Spirit in the life breaks no law. That includes the 10 commandments. Therefore I am relying on God's power to keep His law. The God who spoke our world into existence is capable of recreating us back into His image through the power of His word. But it depends on whether we believe in His creative power. I believe in it you do not. That's why God can do that in me, and you deny it is possible. It's simply unbelief on your part. It all comes from how you read scripture.

Spiritual things are spiritually discerned so only the HS can reveal the truth to us. That is Jesus' promise to us. John 16: 13 Our intelligence cannot do this. Anyone who trusts their smarts is on the wrong track to find spiritual truth..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟487,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Now I can be a fornicator or an idolator or practice witchcraft because the commandments in ordinances have been
nailed to the cross."

It would be an insult to my Christian intelligence to presume I take Colossians 2:14 and Ephesians 2:15 as license

Amen.

Can you explain how something that was "handwritten" by man is the same as "finger written" by God. Do you think Moses handwriting on paper is the same as God writing with His own finger.

Can you explain how something that is "holy" and "blessed" by God becomes the definition of "contrary" and "against" Did you know God can only reverse His blessing Num 23:20. not man, so one would need a thus saith the Lord to reverse something He blessed and sanctified. It would be just as clear as how He wrote and spoke it. We do not serve a God of confusion.

God wrote and spoke these Words the Ten Commandments and what He called His Commandments
Exodus 20:6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

God never referred to His Ten Commandments as His ordinances.

The ordinances are found in the law of Moses-Neh 9:13 Num 29:18 handwritten in a book set outside the ark of the covenant as a witness against Deut 31:24-26 i.e. contrary and against Col 2:14KJV for not obeying what was inside the ark of the covenant- God's holy, perfect and eternal law written by the finger of God as there is no greater authority than He. Exo 32:16 Exo 31:18 Deut 4:13 Exo 34:28 Deut 5:22

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is it an insult to your intelligence to tell you exactly the same thing you tell me?
Please QUOTE my post telling you anything like SIN is more powerful than God.
And if you cannot produce the quotation with a reasonable explanation that that is what I communicated, it would
be proper for you to retract the charge.

In your next post to me I expect to see either -
1.) A quotation of my writing declaring SIN is more powerful than God.
or
2.)
An admission of your mistake that I so taught such a thing.

Before comtinuing let's see if we can get this cleared up first.
Thanks.

I never said I can keep God's law through my own power. I quoted Galatians 5: 21, 22 which tells us the the fruit of the Spirit in the life breaks no law. That includes the 10 commandments. Therefore I am relying on God's power to keep His law. The God who spoke our world into existence is capable of recreating us back into His image through the power of His word. But it depends on whether we believe in His creative power. I believe in it you do not. That's why God can do that in me, and you deny it is possible. It's simply unbelief on your part. It all comes from how you read scripture.

Spiritual things are spiritually discerned so only the HS can reveal the truth to us. That is Jesus' promise to us. John 16: 13 Our intelligence cannot do this. Anyone who trusts their smarts is on the wrong track to find spiritual truth..
Before I respond to these two paragraph I want to clear up the erroneous charge that I
taught you God is less powerful than the power of the sin nature.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Please QUOTE my post telling you anything like SIN is more powerful than God.
And if you cannot produce the quotation with a reasonable explanation that that is what I communicated, it would
be proper for you to retract the charge.

In your next post to me I expect to see either -
1.) A quotation of my writing declaring SIN is more powerful than God.
or
2.)
An admission of your mistake that I so taught such a thing.

Before comtinuing let's see if we can get this cleared up first.
Thanks.

Before I respond to these two paragraph I want to clear up the erroneous charge that I
taught you God is less powerful than the power of the sin nature.
You say no one can keep God's commandments even through the power of the HS.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟66,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
aYou say no one can keep God's commandments even through the power of the HS.
Where did I write that?
I quoted the Apostle Paul that -

That the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us,
who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the spirit. (Rom. 4:4)

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Where did I write that?
I quoted the Apostle Paul that -

That the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us,
who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the spirit. (Rom. 4:4)
Because you don't believe the righteousness actually enables us to obey. You believe it happens externally to the individual.

Upvote 0