Roanoke
✟2,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To be honest, I don't know that much about prepping.

With prepping, I also wish I could have something in place, just in case my power went out.
Such as a Generac, generator.

Or what do most people prefer? Propane or a generator? What are possible benefits, or possible negatives about each?

I always try and buy at least some canned goods, as I know that compared to many other foods, they tend to usually last several years.

It just sucks, because now adays, it seems like the food packets for preppers, for long-term food supplies that last like 25 years, seem to cost a lot of money. Especially in today's economy, I wish I could find something cheaper that I could buy. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm a foodie, and I love taste, but in case of an emergency, I could care less about taste.

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've got some porridge oats to add to some tinned stews, to bulk them up a bit. I don't know about everyone else but God has not told me to be stock pilling food. My bible tells me "that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word which proceeds from the mouth of the Lord". It also says "let not your heart be troubled".

Are we to take our eyes of God and to instead put our eyes on our own thinking and understanding? Has trusting in God taught us that our own plans and ideas will protect us, when trusting in Him won't. Are we not to trust Him in good times and bad times also?

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not onto your own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5)

I was brought up by my parents to have some extra in reserve in my kitchen capboard for each winter, but certainly not silly amounts. My mother was a farmers daughter and farming families have always had a winter larder, so I have usually have a liitle bit extra incase we get snowed in. I live on the edge of Dartmoor and this is an area where we sometimes get snowed in, but heavy duty stocking up, I think not.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To be honest, I don't know that much about prepping.

With prepping, I also wish I could have something in place, just in case my power went out.
Such as a Generac, generator.

Or what do most people prefer? Propane or a generator? What are possible benefits, or possible negatives about each?

I always try and buy at least some canned goods, as I know that compared to many other foods, they tend to usually last several years.

It just sucks, because now adays, it seems like the food packets for preppers, for long-term food supplies that last like 25 years, seem to cost a lot of money. Especially in today's economy, I wish I could find something cheaper that I could buy. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm a foodie, and I love taste, but in case of an emergency, I could care less about taste.
You may use your car battery to charge your cell phone, if you have a newer car with a charge port. There are back up batteries that supply about 600 watts power for emergencies or camping. Home improvement stores sell them. I have a few flashlight batteries and some candles.

I bought beans, rice and lentils in bulk. I use Pop-Tarts for an emergency quick energy source. I usually have a few cans of fish. I do not think I have a thirty day food supply.

After Hurricane Charley in 2004, some people were without power for weeks. President Bush arrived to hand out emergency food packages to disaster victims. The hurricane toppled a fire station. There were tornadoes in the eye wall.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟573,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've got some porridge oats to add to some tinned stews, to bulk them up a bit. I don't know about everyone else but God has not told me to be stock pilling food. My bible tells me "that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word which proceeds from the mouth of the Lord". It also says "let not your heart be troubled".

Are we to take our eyes of God and to instead put our eyes on our own thinking and understanding? Has trusting in God taught us that our own plans and ideas will protect us, when trusting in Him won't. Are we not to trust Him in good times and bad times also?

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not onto your own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5)

I was brought up by my parents to have some extra in reserve in my kitchen capboard for each winter, but certainly not silly amounts. My mother was a farmers daughter and farming families have always had a winter larder, so I have usually have a liitle bit extra incase we get snowed in. I live on the edge of Dartmoor and this is an area where we sometimes get snowed in, but heavy duty stocking up, I think not.
You are spot on about trusting God and knowing that ultimately He is our provider and our sustainer.
Sometimes God tells us how to receive His provision. This is where many preppers are coming from. I believe God told us to start prepping over 10 years ago. Like Noah and Joesph, He warned us what was coming and told us what to do. Heb 11 says God told Noah what would happen, and as a result, he feared, and he feared because He believed what God said.

Hebrews 11:7
7. By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.

I am fully convinced that very hard economic hardship and social chaos are coming and that very soon. Like the Antioch Preppers in the book of Acts, we are preparing to help feed not only ourselves but others who are in need.
I receive many dreams and visions down through the years, warning us what is coming and encouraging us to prepare. The plan, as we see it, is to have enough supplies to last several years while you can achieve community and self-sufficiency. The idea is not "survivalist," it is self-sufficiency in God.
Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟573,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see you are from Roanoke Illinois. I went to USAF training in Rantoul, Chanute AFB. About 70 miles from Roanoke. The base is gone now, but it was roaring in 1972. :wave:

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some tinned foods can be quite good as they will keep without needing refrigeration. I don't keep very many tins of food, but the bonus is that you can eat tinned foods without cooking them if there is no electricity due to power cuts in really cold weather. I've got a couple of dozen tins of chunky beef stew in ring pull cans.

I have an electric tin opener, but it's not much use in a power cut, so the ring pull cans are ideal for such situations. Mixing in some porridge oats into the beef stew adds extra carbohydrate and protein. Warm clothes can be very helpful, if the power goes off in cold weather and historically being based in a rural town, we are more prone to power cuts than in the bigger towns and cities.

Upvote 0

RoanokeIllinois

God is real, and I am not him.
Sep 7, 2022
Roanoke
✟2,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

yes! Oats are a great Idea! I think that they're very cost effective! and a person can defiantly buy in bulk!

Do flavored oats last as long as regular ones? Or are their other things that last many years as well, that one can put into oats, such as brown sugar, or cinnamon, or other things?

Upvote 0

RoanokeIllinois

Sep 7, 2022
Roanoke
✟2,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You may use your car battery to charge your cell phone, if you have a newer car with a charge port. There are back up batteries that supply about 600 watts power for emergencies or camping. Home improvement stores sell them. I have a few flashlight batteries and some candles.

I bought beans, rice and lentils in bulk. I use Pop-Tarts for an emergency quick energy source. I usually have a few cans of fish. I do not think I have a thirty day food supply.

After Hurricane Charley in 2004, some people were without power for weeks. President Bush arrived to hand out emergency food packages to disaster victims. The hurricane toppled a fire station. There were tornadoes in the eye wall.

Beans are good! I love Steak N Shake's canned chilli and Beans. If you'd ever heard of them?

I try and buy like 36 or more of those at a time, if I have the money right then.

Upvote 0

RoanokeIllinois

Sep 7, 2022
Roanoke
✟2,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see you are from Roanoke Illinois. I went to USAF training in Rantoul, Chanute AFB. About 70 miles from Roanoke. The base is gone now, but it was roaring in 1972. :wave:

Is that near Champaign/Urbana? Thank you for your service!

Upvote 0

RoanokeIllinois

Sep 7, 2022
Roanoke
✟2,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some tinned foods can be quite good as they will keep without needing refrigeration. I don't keep very many tins of food, but the bonus is that you can eat tinned foods without cooking them if there is no electricity due to power cuts in really cold weather. I've got a couple of dozen tins of chunky beef stew in ring pull cans.

I have an electric tin opener, but it's not much use in a power cut, so the ring pull cans are ideal for such situations. Mixing in some porridge oats into the beef stew adds extra carbohydrate and protein. Warm clothes can be very helpful, if the power goes off in cold weather and historically being based in a rural town, we are more prone to power cuts than in the bigger towns and cities.

pre cooked tins of beef stew are always awesome! I have an old fashion can opener. The ring openers make things easier for sure.

anyone big into spam?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟573,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
pre cooked tins of beef stew are always awesome! I have an old fashion can opener. The ring openers make things easier for sure.

anyone big into spam?

Spam has always been an economically affordable tinned meat and good from the perspective of cost and it also has quite a long shelf life. Soldiers were eating spam during the second world war, which was left over from the earlier ear. I am pretty sure that they did not have best before dates on tinned foods in thoses days.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟573,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Spam has always been an economically affordable tinned meat and good from the perspective of cost and it also has quite a long shelf life. Soldiers were eating spam during the second world war, which was left over from the earlier ear. I am pretty sure that they did not have best before dates on tinned foods in thoses days.
Some stores have Spam at a high price of over 5 bucks a tin.
You can still get it at Sam's Club for about 2.75 a tin when you buy the 8 or 10 pack.
It may be one of the few sources of meat available in days to come.

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some stores have Spam at a high price of over 5 bucks a tin.
You can still get it at Sam's Club for about 2.75 a tin when you buy the 8 or 10 pack.
It may be one of the few sources of meat available in days to come.

This may not apply in other countries, by in the UK there are a range of prices for different brands of spam and corned beef. The cheaper brands contain more fat and marginally less lean meat. A little bit extra fat is not necessarly a bad thing in a survival situation, since one gram of fat provides twice as much energy as one gram of carbohydrate.

Those who have been taught about how to survive, by living of the land are taught that fat can be hard to come by in such situations and that an adequate level of fat consumption is necessary for survival in order not to deplete your own body fat. Without an adequate intake of fat you will eventually die as a direct result of losing your essential bodily fat reserves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟573,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This may not apply in other countries, by in the UK there are a range of prices for different brands of spam and corned beef. The cheaper brands contain more fat and marginally less lean meat. A little bit extra fat is not necessarly a bad thing in a survival situation, since one gram of fat provides twice as much energy as one gram of carbohydrate.

Those who have been taught about how to survive, by living of the land are taught that fat can be hard to come by in such situations and that an adequate level of fat consumption is necessary for survival in order not to deplete your own body fat. Without an adequate intake of fat you will eventually die as a direct result of losing your essential bodily fat reserves.
Very true. Folks who plan to "live off the land" will find this to be true. Some of the small game are very lean and fat will be hard to come by. Bio-fact: brain don't work real good without fat!
Today's trend toward ultra-lean bodies may be the wrong road to go. Might be smart to up that body fat to a non-dangerous lever.
Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nuts, seeds, and olive oil are good fats. I've canned butter and it lasted nicely. Little by little will at least get something done. There's a moderately priced hand-pump vacuum sealer you can get to suck air out of jars to help food last longer. I'm not counting on maintaining electricity if things go south, but electricity is a relatively new convenience to the human experience.

Upvote 0