Eurovision 2023: Ukraine’s President Zelensky Banned From Addressing Contest Audience

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟106,407.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Eurovision 2023: Ukraine’s President Zelensky Banned From Addressing Contest Audience

Ukraine was unable to host the 67th Eurovision Song Contest due to the war taking place inside the country. Now President Zelensky has been banned by event owners from addressing the huge audience at the event.

The Times reports that the Ukrainian president had asked to make an appearance during the Grand Final on Saturday May 13th, but his request has been rejected.

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟106,407.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Reason:

The paper reports that Zelensky had been expected to press for international support for his country in the face of Russia’s ongoing invasion, but that the European Broadcasting Union (EBU) has always insisted that no political statements be made during the performances – something enforced by the EBU’s ‘Reference Group’ – and this extends to speeches beyond the music.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟106,407.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
More:

“The request by Mr Zelensky to address the audience at the Eurovision Song Contest, whilst made with laudable intentions, regrettably cannot be granted by the European Broadcasting Union management as it would be against the rules of the event,” the statement continued.

If he had been allowed to address the contest, the Ukrainian leader would probably have continued his pattern of using speeches at high-profile international events to draw attention to Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine – and Eurovision would have been a poignant stage on which to do so, given that this year’s contest is being staged in the United Kingdom because Ukraine, the winner of last year’s contest and the rightful host nation, is unable to host it due to the Russian invasion.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟499,816.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Seems like this whole story is just a canard.

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟499,816.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And - who has won?
Doesn't matter, as long as germany stays last.

ESC isn't and never has been about the music, at least when it comes to the voting. It's purely a political spectacle, with countries voting for their "allies" and ignoring those that they don't like. And of course, germany is almost always on the second list.

(Not that I'm impressed by the current german song or their performance, mind you)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟499,816.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟156,747.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever watched the ESC?
No, just some fragments here or there. Its mostly a freak show or below average pop music, to me. Even contestants from my own country are not something I would be willing to listen to (and I have never heard of them before).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟499,816.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
No, just some fragments here or there. Its mostly a freak show or below average pop music, to me. Even contestants from my own country are not something I would be willing to listen to (and I have never heard of them before).
Can't say I ever heard of the german contestants of this year either. Nor do I expect to hear from them ever again.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟156,747.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can't say I ever heard of the german contestants of this year either. Nor do I expect to hear from them ever again.
Well, I gave few seconds to the German song and I must admit that it was even worse than the pan-slavic feminism of the Czech song.

Congrats.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟499,816.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Well, I gave few seconds to the German song and I must admit that it was even worse than the pan-slavic feminism of the Czech song.

Congrats.
I'm sorry about those seconds.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟106,407.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you - it was terrible!

The song title alone was terrible!

Upvote 0