Queensland
✟6,636.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anybody know how the early Catholic Church (say 500AD and earlier) compares with the modern Catholic Church and with the Protestant reformation?

For example the prayers to the saints, papal infallibility, infant baptism, purgatory, priests forgiving sins, Mary being sinless etc-were these part of the early church?

Were the reformers actually returning the church to how it originated or would the modern church be unrecognisable to the early church?

Reactions: Pioneer3mm

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does anybody know how the early Catholic Church (say 500AD and earlier) compares with the modern Catholic Church and with the Protestant reformation?

For example the prayers to the saints, papal infallibility, infant baptism, purgatory, priests forgiving sins, Mary being sinless etc-were these part of the early church?

Were the reformers actually returning the church to how it originated or would the modern church be unrecognisable to the early church?
The early church was still sorting itself out. Who was Jesus? God? man? what writings belong in the bible. So many controversies. I think it is reasonable to consider the Holy Spirt at work guiding that development... even up to and beyond the reformation in both the Catholic and protestant churches.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟327,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The answers to your questions are no and no. You've named a hodgepodge of traditions that are universal to Christianity. Prayers to the Saints, infant baptism, and priests forgiving sins have always been parts of Christianity. One of them to note is priests forgiving sins. Jesus said to his Apostles:

Jhn 20:23 “If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

That was an authority Christ himself gave to his Apostles and that authority has been handed down to their successors. There are other traditions of the Roman Church that were not part of the early Church. So that is the first no. The second no is the idea that the Reformers were returning the Church to its earliest form. They may have thought they were doing that but ended up -instead of reforming the Church- reforming Christianity itself into something that would be unrecognizable to the earliest Christians. Even moreso are the thousands of Protestant splinter groups that cropped up over time, each claiming to hold the truth apart from any of the others.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,108,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

241656_73a4b943f6c592cdf71a88c50d5eb4d8.jpg

Please read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread.

This thread was originally posted in The Kitchen Sink. No topics regarding Theology are allowed there.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

concretecamper

I stand with Candice.
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟276,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Yes to all.

Here is a great resource where you can rad about the Church Fathers. You will find that all the topics you raised are not recent beliefs. All date before 500 AD.

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟25,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Another good resource that will address all of the practices and beliefs OP asked about: Church Fathers

Generally the most helpful way to use that website is to find quotations for a given topic and look up the documents referenced on New Advent or CCEL or a similar website to read the context.

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟7,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

No, it would not be recognizable.

Again, Jesus did not abandon the novus ordo church. But mere humans and anti-Christ ones. at that, changed things at Vatican II. Some say that it was the interpreters of Vatican II documents who instigated all the confusion and misery, and I cannot say I've read all V2 documents. However, I have been Catholic all my life, devout in the last couple decades. And no one can tell me that the changes-- however they all came about after V2.. were good. I have suffered an awful lot because of the changes-- a story that would take all day to write about and even then it wouldn't be the whole story. In any case, I hate how they gave up incense during Mass (most Masses), how it changed that the priest no longer faced the altar (God), but started facing the people (kind of like a rock concert! [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]) and I could go on all day.. the greeting of others in the middle of the Mass! Please.. Come on! We're with humans all week long and we can't keep our focus on God for one hour on Sunday?! Or as Jesus said in the Garden before His agony: Could you not watch with me one hour?

I HATE the V2 changes (not just annoyed)! But that isn't half the story of how I personally suffered. There's this one story I have that I don't even want to talk about, not even to.. well, if I could find someone who has also been Catholic for a long time, who has also gone through the same things, then I would talk about it to that person. --

Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟7,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
The early church was still sorting itself out. Who was Jesus? God? man? what writings belong in the bible. So many controversies. I think it is reasonable to consider the Holy Spirt at work guiding that development... even up to and beyond the reformation in both the Catholic and protestant churches.
Exactly. Jesus said "I will BUILD My Church and the gates of Hell will not prevail against it"

In other words, the Church was not whole and entirely complete when He walked the earth, but was something that would develop over the centuries

• Agree
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,247,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No, it would not be recognizable.

Again, Jesus did not abandon the novus ordo church. But mere humans and anti-Christ ones. at that, changed things at Vatican II. Some say that it was the interpreters of Vatican II documents who instigated all the confusion and misery, and I cannot say I've read all V2 documents. However, I have been Catholic all my life, devout in the last couple decades. And no one can tell me that the changes-- however they all came about after V2.. were good. I have suffered an awful lot because of the changes-- a story that would take all day to write about and even then it wouldn't be the whole story. In any case, I hate how they gave up incense during Mass (most Masses), how it changed that the priest no longer faced the altar (God), but started facing the people (kind of like a rock concert! [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]) and I could go on all day.. the greeting of others in the middle of the Mass! Please.. Come on! We're with humans all week long and we can't keep our focus on God for one hour on Sunday?! Or as Jesus said in the Garden before His agony: Could you not watch with me one hour?

I HATE the V2 changes (not just annoyed)! But that isn't half the story of how I personally suffered. There's this one story I have that I don't even want to talk about, not even to.. well, if I could find someone who has also been Catholic for a long time, who has also gone through the same things, then I would talk about it to that person. --
You might like Janet Smith's idea to have a healing event for those wounded by the abandonment of tradition.

It sure looks interesting even though it is only hypothetical at this time.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟484,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You might like Janet Smith's idea to have a healing event for those wounded by the abandonment of tradition.

It sure looks interesting even though it is only hypothetical at this time.

I think a protest in St. Peter’s Square to demand the resignation of all liberal bishops whose policies disagree with those of Pope St. Pius X, Pope St. John Paul II and Pope St. Benedict XVI, and all clergy appointed by them or who ordained them, would be more productive and could get even better attendance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟484,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

God bless you! I have experienced similar trauma which is why I wound up becoming Orthodox, although I was not Catholic, but I have always loved the traditional Latin mass, and I would have joined the RCC were it not for the unexpected resignation of Pope Benedict XVI.

Upvote 0

DJWhalen

When God steps in, miracles happen.
Feb 13, 2024
Indianapolis
✟15,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican
Yes to all.

Here is a great resource where you can rad about the Church Fathers. You will find that all the topics you raised are not recent beliefs. All date before 500 AD.

Thank you!

Upvote 0