Do you notice people with great talent use it so they don't "need" God so much?

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We all admire people of exceptional abilities. But don't those very abilities and the huge draw the public places on those people because of their unusual abilities, often pull them away from God? If you're so very busy where is the time to read your Bible, ponder its meanings and meditate on your conclusions? Could high levels of talent actually be somewhat of a curse? It is odd that the smartest people around us are so difficult to reach spiritually. You'd think they of all people would see the logic of drawing closer to the Lord. Yet they are often the most difficult to reach. They usually have lots of money, have the unquestioning admiration of those around them, and little time for themselves. No matter how lavish the vacation you can't buy more time to enjoy it if your career places such demands on that time. And without the time allotted to it there wouldn't be that career.

Its very humbling when you consider all the ways Satan pulls us away from Jesus and most often in very subtle, seemingly innocuous, harmless ways. We indeed have a skilled and treacherous adversary, bent on our utter destruction. Perhaps we should treat him more seriously.

Last edited:

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟912,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We all admire people of exceptional abilities. But don't those very abilities and the huge draw the public places on those people because of their unusual abilities, pull them away from God? If you're so very busy where is the time to read your Bible, ponder its meanings and meditate on your conclusions? Could high levels of talent actually be somewhat of a curse? It is odd that the smartest people around us are so difficult to reach spiritually. You'd think they of all people would see the logic of drawing closer to the Lord. Yet they are often the most difficult to reach. They usually have lots of money, have the unquestioning admiration of those around them, and little time for themselves. No matter how lavish the vacation you can't buy more time to enjoy it if your career places such demands on that time. And without the time allotted to it there wouldn't be that career.

Its very humbling when you consider all the ways Satan pulls us away from Jesus and most often in very subtle, seemingly innocuous, harmless ways. We indeed have a skilled and treacherous adversary, bent on our utter destruction. Perhaps we should treat him more seriously.
Not so sure about that. There are many who give Jesus Christ of Nazareth all the credit for their success. So one shoe does not fit all.
Blessings.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not so sure about that. There are many who give Jesus Christ of Nazareth all the credit for their success. So one shoe does not fit all.
Blessings.
I hope my post didn't give the impression that I felt that all very talented people are beyond hope! Its just something I've noticed with the vast majority. Human nature doesn't want to "need" anyone. We're supposed to be self sufficient, solving our own problems well, taking care of our dependents responsibly, serving our community with care. That's the ideal of course. In reality everyone out there has pressing needs and needs lots of help.

I edited my post and added "often" before "pull them away from God" to clarify.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The two places most receptive to the gospel are hospitals and prisons. One place less receptive would be a country club. since WWII IQ has been rewarded with higher salaries. When things are comfortable, people are often less interested in the gospel.

Mat 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Upvote 0