Do non-denominational churches really exist?

Kale100

Jun 12, 2023
New England
✟12,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Every church has its own policies on Communion, baptism, marriages, pastors, etc. How is it possible to have a non-denominational church when many denominations have opposing church practices?
How interested in the topic are you? This could make for an interesting puzzle of sorts. I imagine on topics such as communion, the congregation would have to be in the mindset of accepting other's beliefs on the issue without imposing their own. Pastors, hmmm, does the bible mandate a church having a pastor? If not then I'd presume the non-denominational approach would be no pastor.
If you are bored we could make an itemized list of things and see what an archetypal/extreme non-denominational church looks like, might be fun.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟424,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s a refining process to have some of these churches. And it’s a catch all for cults.

calvary chapel is a big church not like the denominations, seeking all the best of Christianity - emphasis on the word.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟913,689.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every church has its own policies on Communion, baptism, marriages, pastors, etc. How is it possible to have a non-denominational church when many denominations have opposing church practices?
I agree. It is a misnomer. Only the "invisible "Church enjoys freedom from being called a denomination.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Above & Beyond

Jun 26, 2023
Austin, Texas
✟9,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s a refining process to have some of these churches. And it’s a catch all for cults.

calvary chapel is a big church not like the denominations, seeking all the best of Christianity - emphasis on the word.

This is funny... "...seeking all the best of Christianity - emphasis on the word...".

Christianity has neither any "...best...", nor any "...emphasis on the word...".

Just a simple grammar check tells us that "...Christian-ity..." is a contrive of those who claim to be "...Christian...".

And for sure, Calvary Chapel is just another denomination.

Amen.

Upvote 0

Above & Beyond

Jun 26, 2023
Austin, Texas
✟9,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Christ Jesus exists, then there is only one denominational church that exists... And the denomination of this church is Jesus.

That's it... Simply, Jesus.

You want to be a part of the one true church... Be a part of Jesus, as a member of His one Body, of which He alone is the Head.

It's really not rocket science... Even a bunch of ancient, many uneducated, people were able to grasp it... And their response was to simply say that they were followers of the Way... This Way being... The Person of the Lord, Himself, who was dwelling in them, if they were born-again of God.

The one true church... Really, the only church that the Lord is building... Is the dwelling place of God in spirit (Eph. 2:22).

And it's when a believer sees this reality, and lives according to it, that this believer has entered into the reality of the one church of God.

Amen.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Philidephia and Smyrna of revelation chapter 2 and 3 are the only two churches Jesus found no fault. Jesus was disappointed with the other 5 churches. First Corinthians chapter 3, Paul teaches us about apostates who broke away from the foundation of christ and formed Denominations. These apostates are hirelings. I'm not knocking churches down. But there's few churches that teach sound doctrine. Instead of observing Passover, its pagan Easter. Get the picture. Many denominations teach false doctrine. Like the rapture theory. It's a lie. John chapter 10, Jesus teaches about the hirelings. Money is their main factor. I documented this. Amos chapter 8, Were in time of famine, its hearing God's Truth.

Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟74,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The church we've started attending is non-denominational, but in all honesty it's a Baptist church in everything but name.
That's a common criticism of non-denominational churches: that they are just Baptists in denial. From my person experience, Non-denominational churches are somewhat more likely to be charismatic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a common criticism of non-denominational churches: that they are just Baptists in denial. From my person experience, Non-denominational churches are somewhat more likely to be charismatic.
I have found this to be true as well. In the case of this particular church, it started as a split from a nearby Southern Baptist church. They continue to hold to Baptist teaching, with the exception of congregational polity.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I have found this to be true as well. In the case of this particular church, it started as a split from a nearby Southern Baptist church. They continue to hold to Baptist teaching, with the exception of congregational polity.

Don't Baptists also have congregational polity in general? Or do you mean the non-denominational churches are "independent"?

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't Baptists also have congregational polity in general? Or do you mean the non-denominational churches are "independent"?
The Southern Baptists are kind of split on this one, with many of the newer ones being elder-led rather than congregationally governed as they traditionally were.
In the case of the church I'm referencing, they're independent.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums