WI
✟108,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Both the Eastern Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Church would consider themselves the one true church and they can't both be right.

There are also so many protestant denominations.

My question is this - how do we discern the truth?
The question of which church is the one true church is a matter of faith and belief, and it is a complex issue with deep historical and theological roots. Remember, fellow Christian, that each denomination believes that they hold the truth based on interpretation of scripture, tradition, and doctrine. I made a numbered list to help you, with 7 items, cos 7 is a holy number in the Bible. :)

As for how to discern the truth, there is no definitive answer, cos it depends on one's personal faith journey and relationship with God. Here are my suggestions that may help guide your exploration of different Christian traditions:

1. Study the Bible: The Bible is the foundational text for Christianity, and it can provide valuable insight into the beliefs and practices of different Christian denominations. Read the Bible carefully and prayerfully, seeking to understand its teachings in their historical and cultural contexts.
2. Learn about church history: Understanding the historical development of Christianity and the various schisms that have occurred throughout history can help provide context for the current state of Christian denominations.
3. Engage in dialogue with others: Engaging in respectful and open-minded dialogue with people from different Christian traditions can help broaden your understanding of the faith and deepen your own beliefs.
4. Pray for discernment: Ask God to guide you in your search for truth and to help you discern which Christian tradition aligns best with your faith journey.
5. Consider seeking out the guidance of a spiritual mentor or counselor: A spiritual guide (such as a pastor, or lay minister) can provide valuable insight and perspective, helping you navigate the complexities of Christian theology and practice.
6. Attend worship services and engage in community: Experiencing the worship practices and community life of different Christian traditions can provide valuable insights into their beliefs and practices, as well as helping you connect with others on a deeper level.
7. Reflect on your personal experiences of God: Ultimately, the truth of which Christian tradition is right for you may depend on your personal experiences of God and how they align with the teachings and practices of different denominations.

Please remember that no single Christian tradition holds a monopoly on truth, and there is value in learning from and engaging with people of diverse faith backgrounds. Finally, the journey to discern the truth is a lifelong one, and it requires you to be humble, open-minded, and have a deep commitment to seeking God's will.

Reactions: picnic_00
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟327,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Both the Eastern Orthodox and the Roman Catholic Church would consider themselves the one true church and they can't both be right.

That is a journey I began about 30 years ago. Along the way I determined that the One True Church is the Apostolic Churches. They still exist in the form of the Orthodox Churches and the Roman Church. I once read a quote from someone who said, "If you read the bible you will become a Baptist". I can honestly reply now that if you read the bible and understand it you will become Orthodox.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟913,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The one true Church is not a denomination it is the Body of Christ. There may be just one or many in any given group of Christians within all these groups. So no need to fret, just love one another as we are command. Be blessed

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

In Psalms 119:142, the Mosaic Law is truth, and in John 14:6, Jesus is the embodiment of truth, so who teaches to embody truth by following his example of obedience to the Mosaic Law and who teaches against doing that?

Upvote 0

picnic_00

Mar 22, 2024
Huntingdon
✟3,281.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The one true Church is not a denomination it is the Body of Christ. There may be just one or many in any given group of Christians within all these groups. So no need to fret, just love one another as we are command. Be blessed
I very much agree with this, and that references to the church in the Bible are to the body of believers rather than an institution.

Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟25,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

We can discern the truth in a few ways. It is best, though, to start with a source that all churches and denominations agree on: the Gospel according to Matthew.

Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” And they said, “Some say John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. “I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it. (Matthew 16:13-18)
According to Jesus, the gates of Hades will not overpower the Church. So, anyone who teaches that they did overpower the Church, even if only temporarily, cannot be right. This means that we can rule out any denomination that claims a discontinuous history of the Church, where the true faith was lost and then rediscovered, the "restorationist" denominations.

I would further argue that this criterion effectively rules out most non-restorationist Protestant denominations too; as Martin Luther wrote against the Anabaptists, infant baptism was the universal practice for a thousand years before the Protestant Reformation. If infant baptism were not really baptism at all, then for over a thousand years there were no true baptisms, and therefore no Church. The same criticism applies to any denomination that teaches something contrary to what was universally accepted in the past: the divinity of Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost, baptismal regeneration, Christ being truly present in the Eucharist, the necessity of having bishops with apostolic succession, the unity of the Church, and so on. Can any Protestant denomination claim that last item? I would say no, not in the way that the Nicene Fathers meant it when they composed the Creed, saying "one holy, catholic and apostolic Church."

Now, there are some interesting edge cases. One would be the "Landmark Baptists," who claim that the various supposedly heretical sects throughout history were actually preserving the characteristic Baptist doctrines from the time of the Apostles, and in this way there is a continuous history of the Church. But even if we grant that (and we shouldn't), there is still the problem of these sects having held beliefs that the Baptists would see as heretical today, from Gnosticism to extremely high sacramentalism. If I remember correctly, the original promoters of Landmarkism argued that these beliefs were falsely attributed to these groups by the Catholic Church, but there is simply no evidence that this is the case, and if you can make up facts about history with no evidence, there is no chance for rational discussion.

Similarly, many Protestants will claim that there were always some local churches or individual believers who held the true faith, even when the institutional Church accepted errors. But again, there is no evidence for these secret sola-scriptura-believing Protestants; it's just an assertion with no evidence. And again, if that's allowed, then no productive discussion can be had.

To put it bluntly, I think this rules out all of Protestantism. There's much more that could be said about the differences between the apostolic churches, and if anyone's interested in hearing my thoughts I'd be happy to continue, but this post is already very long, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Upvote 0

picnic_00

Mar 22, 2024
Huntingdon
✟3,281.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Similarly, many Protestants will claim that there were always some local churches or individual believers who held the true faith, even when the institutional Church accepted errors. But again, there is no evidence for these secret sola-scriptura-believing Protestants; it's just an assertion with no evidence. And again, if that's allowed, then no productive discussion can be had.

To put it bluntly, I think this rules out all of Protestantism. There's much more that could be said about the differences between the apostolic churches, and if anyone's interested in hearing my thoughts I'd be happy to continue, but this post is already very long, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Would you say someone in a protestant church is believing in a false gospel or can the gospel truth be found there?

There are going to be different answers to the original based on our soteriological understanding.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the differences between the apostolic churches.

Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟25,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would you say someone in a protestant church is believing in a false gospel or can the gospel truth be found there?
I would say that while they are not entirely without truth, strictly speaking, they have at least one error in their version of the Gospel in that they teach against the institutional, unified Church. Despite that, there are certainly many Protestants living saintly lives the best way they know how.
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the differences between the apostolic churches.
Sure, although there's so much that could be said that I'll have to start at a very broad level and drill down from there. To begin with, these churches are all much closer in doctrine among themselves than they are with Protestantism, so the distinctions less clear. The Church of the East and the Oriental Orthodox disagree with each other and with the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches on christology, how Jesus Christ can be both a man and God and be the same person. Here is how they differ:
  • CotE: 2 natures, 2 hypostases, 1 person
  • OO: 1 incarnate nature, 1 hypostasis, 1 person
  • RC/EO: 2 natures, 1 hypostasis, 1 person
Between RC and EO, there is a disagreement over the place of the Holy Spirit, whether he proceeds from the Father or from the Father and the Son. There are many more differences too, and that particular schism was not nearly as clear-cut as the earlier schisms.

From my research, I'm inclined to believe that one cannot profess two hypostases without implying two persons, and that the "one incarnate nature" formula of the Oriental Orthodox to express the union of the divine and human natures is very close to the RC/EO position but cannot explain how incompatible properties (e.g. immortality and mortality) can exist together in the same nature.

I'm still trying to decide between Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism myself. The disagreements here are on the place of the Holy Spirit, the primacy of the Pope, the attitude toward the liturgy, and a variety of other subjects, but I would say those three are the biggest differences.

The original question in this thread was how to discern truth, and I've covered two ways, scriptural and rational. There is a third way, too: experiential. The importance of this method has been stressed to me by RC, EO, and OO priests I've met with. To explain it briefly, our religion doesn't reside in a disembodied, intellectual, abstract realm where we can study it externally like we would physics or math. We are ourselves body and soul with an existence sustained by the grace of God; our experience and our faith are a kind of "coupled system" where the one affects the other and vice versa simultaneously. So it's not enough just to read books, you have to actually go to church and pray and live the Christian life to have understanding, which I will be the first to say I do not do well but certainly try.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums