• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Dimentia Stinks

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟395,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dimentia with sunsetting with your spouse stinks, only in the early stages right now so general health is good, but knowing what is going on in reality at night and watching it slip from them is heartbreaking. I really am not looking foward to the later stages.

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
They say that medication does help some people, to some extent. Both of my grandmothers had it real bad for their last few years of life, so I do feel for you. God bless.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟876,699.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I took care of my mom through 10 years of Alzheimer's, experiencing it worsen. Takes a lot of patience and understanding and prayer. God be with you.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟395,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One thing I'm thankful is that for the most part, during the morning / afternoon hours She's fairly normal, minor memory issues, but nothing major.

Working on getting her on a Cardio program (Doctors recommendation) To improve blood flow in the brain to slow this thing down and prayerfully prevent further degradation.

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟876,699.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One thing I'm thankful is that for the most part, during the morning / afternoon hours She's fairly normal, minor memory issues, but nothing major.
It was the same with mom. First half of the day was usually better.
Working on getting her on a Cardio program (Doctors recommendation) To improve blood flow in the brain to slow this thing down and prayerfully prevent further degradation.
That's good. I did a lot of research back in the day. You might be doing that, too. The science shows that physical exercise, and just activity of any kind is really, really important. Very good for general mood also.

Upvote 0

Tania11

Jan 30, 2020
la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I feel for you. What I regret with my grandma, I didn't treasure every moment and appreciate the time I had with her. I was just worried about her and was all gloomy trying to find the cure. Enjoy the time you have and make the best of it. I'm sorry. Make sure you take time for yourself too.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,308.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Got more testing done yesterday, looking more & more like Alzheimer's disease.
Given the condition, around stage 3/4 (symptoms from both categories)
:heart: I'm so sorry. Praying for your precious wife, and you too (((hug)))

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟395,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Still stinks.
Last night she's crying as I won't take her home. (We're at home)
Anxiety triggers the fear response, so it's fight or flight, and "Home" is a safe place. Mornings are normally good though. Last week had a rough one though, woke up about 2am, stark fear in her eyes as she's looking at me, didn't recognise who I was. Few hours of talking calmed her down.
Some times I feel so broken that I can't take this burdon off her, so have to hold up the strong front for her.
Two totally different people when the anxity triggers the worst.

And Is I learn more, I fear what is to come as this monstrosity progresses.
I dodn't want to loose her, but this slow slipping away sucks.

• Prayers
Reactions: rhawk
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dimentia with sunsetting with your spouse stinks, only in the early stages right now so general health is good, but knowing what is going on in reality at night and watching it slip from them is heartbreaking. I really am not looking foward to the later stages.
It is better not to speak about the problem but speak God’s promises over your life.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

rhawk

I'm a CAT-HOLIC, proud cat parent & Catholic.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2015
Montana
✟420,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
pgp_protector,
I am so sorry for what you are going through. I cannot say I know it from the side of a spouse, but my grandmother died of alzhiemer's, my father from dimentia and my mother has one of them (she is in a nursing home) and it is heart wrenching to loose them this way. If you need a shoulder to cry on to talk to or complain, I am here.

Sincerely,
David

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are a few therapies, which they could try out, that help improve cognitive function. I'm sure their psychiatrist can suggest what's best suited for them. You could even do things like playing their favourite music, movies & watching some family videos, including going through some photo albums together, reading & having a go at puzzles, to stimulate brain activity. You could even, engage with them, in their favourite hobbies such as gardening, cooking & the like.

Making the best out of your marriage is important, like spending time together & being there always. Some people with dementia, even in its advanced stage/s, will not forget everyone, especially where their loved ones are concerned. Many, never seem to forget their loved ones thankfully..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟395,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I miss my wife, the woman in front of me is slowly vanishing. Daily delusions, and now weekly accusations of me having a girlfriend. 1/2 the time she'll be upset that the other people left without saying goodbuy, or ask me where (insert my name) is. She still smiles at tjmes and I try to keep her happy, but thats no easy task.

I will care for her tell mg dying breath, but I HATE this condition. It's so flustrating when she starts looping and can't be redirected, and I know it's only going to get worse.

I so need a drink, but can't even have one as I have to always be ready for whats next.

I don't want to know whats next. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums