Did some people from the Northern Kingdom of Israel return to the promised land after the Babylonian captivity?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟91,749.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In 722 BC, 2 Kings 17:

6 In the ninth year of Hoshea, the king of Assyria captured Samaria and deported the Israelites to Assyria. He settled them in Halah, in Gozan on the Habor River and in the towns of the Medes.
Hoshea was the last king of the Northern Kingdom. People of the Northern Kingdom were exiled to the Assyria/Median Empire.

24 Then the king of Assyria brought people from Babylon, Cuthah, Avva, Hamath, and Sepharvaim and settled them in the towns of Samaria to replace the Israelites. They took possession of Samaria and lived in its towns.
The Northern Kingdom of Israel, i.e., Samaria, was conquered by the Assyrians in 722 BC. The people of the Northern Kingdom were deported and dispersed throughout the Assyrian/Median Empire. This was the Assyrian Captivity.

The Babylonian captivity came more than a century later. In 586 BC, Jerusalem fell to the Babylonians under King Nebuchadnezzar. 2 Kings 25:

11 Then Nebuzaradan captain of the guard carried into exile the people who remained in the city, along with the deserters who had defected to the king of Babylon and the rest of the population. 12 But the captain of the guard left behind some of the poorest of the land to tend the vineyards and fields.
Jerusalem fell. Some of the people of the Southern Kingdom were exiled to Babylonia.

In 537 BC, 2 Chronicles 36:

22 Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom and also put it in writing: 23“Thus says Cyrus king of Persia, ‘The LORD, the God of heaven, has given me all the kingdoms of the earth, and he has charged me to build him a house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Whoever is among you of all his people, may the LORD his God be with him. Let him go up.’”
Cyrus was a Babylonian king, not an Assyrian king. He primarily addressed the people of the Southern Kingdom of Judah. However, descendants of the exiled Northern Kingdom could conceivably claim to be the LORD's people and return to their fathers' land.

Ezekiel prophesied to the exiles in 37:

21 you are to tell them that this is what the Lord GOD says: ‘I will take the Israelites out of the nations to which they have gone, and I will gather them from all around and bring them into their own land. 22I will make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel, and one king will rule over all of them. Then they will no longer be two nations and will never again be divided into two kingdoms.
It was fulfilled in (BSB) Ezra 2:

70 So the priests, the Levites, the singers, the gatekeepers, and the temple servants, along with some of the people, settled in their own towns; and the rest of the Israelites settled in their towns.
The returned exiles were mostly from the Southern Kingdom of Judah, and some were from the Northern Kingdom of Israel.

Reactions: Mark Quayle

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟10,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In 722 BC, 2 Kings 17:

Hoshea was the last king of the Northern Kingdom. People of the Northern Kingdom were exiled to the Assyria/Median Empire.

The Northern Kingdom of Israel, i.e., Samaria, was conquered by the Assyrians in 722 BC. The people of the Northern Kingdom were deported and dispersed throughout the Assyrian/Median Empire. This was the Assyrian Captivity.

The Babylonian captivity came more than a century later. In 586 BC, Jerusalem fell to the Babylonians under King Nebuchadnezzar. 2 Kings 25:

Jerusalem fell. Some of the people of the Southern Kingdom were exiled to Babylonia.

In 537 BC, 2 Chronicles 36:

Cyrus was a Babylonian king, not an Assyrian king. He primarily addressed the people of the Southern Kingdom of Judah. However, descendants of the exiled Northern Kingdom could conceivably claim to be the LORD's people and return to their fathers' land.

Ezekiel prophesied to the exiles in 37:

It was fulfilled in (BSB) Ezra 2:

The returned exiles were mostly from the Southern Kingdom of Judah, and some were from the Northern Kingdom of Israel.
Would you say that God may have insinuated the title of harlot towards Israel, more than a few noticeable times within scripture?

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟91,749.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would you say that God may have insinuated the title of harlot towards Israel, more than a few noticeable times within scripture?
Yes.

Hosea 4:15
Though you play the harlot, O Israel, let not Judah become guilty. Enter not into Gilgal, nor go up to Beth-aven, and swear not, “As the LORD lives.”

• Winner
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟10,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hosea has a very interesting last chapter.... that follows the desolation of Israel for a very long period of time.

Upvote 0