Did Saul inquire of the Lord before he consulted a medium?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟92,540.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ESV, 1 Samuel 28:

4 The Philistines assembled and came and encamped at Shunem. And Saul gathered all Israel, and they encamped at Gilboa. 5 When Saul saw the army of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart trembled greatly. 6 And when Saul inquired of the LORD, the LORD did not answer him, either by dreams, or by Urim, or by prophets.
He inquired
וַיִּשְׁאַ֤ל (way·yiš·’al)
Conjunctive waw | Verb - Qal - Consecutive imperfect - third person masculine singular Strong's 7592: To inquire, to request, to demand

But then, NIV, 1 Chronicles 10:

13 Saul died because he was unfaithful to the Lord; he did not keep the word of the Lord and even consulted a medium for guidance, 14 and did not inquire of the Lord. So the Lord put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse.
Did Saul inquire of the Lord before he consulted a medium?

to inquire
דָרַ֥שׁ (ḏā·raš)
Verb - Qal - Perfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 1875: To tread, frequent, to follow, to seek, ask, to worship

English Standard Version:

He did not seek guidance from the LORD. Therefore the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David the son of Jesse.
Saul H7592-inquired of the LORD. God did not answer him because he did not H1875-seek-guidance from God to follow him. When Saul inquired, he did not do it with a repentant heart.

KevinT

May 26, 2021
Tennessee
✟13,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I read it that Saul inquired of the Lord. And because of Saul had been acting, the Lord did not respond. So then Saul went to the medium, and then on to his death.

1 Sam 23: " 3 The king said to her, “Don’t be afraid. What do you see?” The woman said, “I see a ghostly figure[a] coming up out of the earth.” ... 15 Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?

A more interesting question to me is whether or not it was Samuel who appeared and pronounced his doom? If it was Samuel, why did he come "up out of the earth." I think it was NOT Samuel, but instead a demon.

KT

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟92,540.00
Country
Canada
Faith