Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟527,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you're underestimating what women could or were supposed to do, even in those days. The Torah expected women in such cases to scream or resist (if in the vicinity of others). Her resistance could have made David very angry or worse, but God would have expected her to cop his anger rather than sin against God and her husband. Joseph went to jail for two years for his righteous refusal.

Mosaic Law required trials and hearings indeed, but the judge ultimately was the king himself (e.g. Solomon's case with the two prostitutes). That creates some context for a time where there was war, treason, political intrigues, coup d'etats - he had the authority to intervene directly himself in these cases; they could be matters of life or death for the monarchy.

David fought many wars - yet God calls him a man after God's heart (1 Samuel 13:14), a prophet, a man with compassion even (e.g. the story about Mephibosheth (2 Samuel 9), sparing Saul's life twice (1 Samuel 24 and 26)). Israelites and Jews after him would speak with high esteem and affectionately about him - even in Jesus' day - they wouldn't use the 'tyrant' qualification which is negative by definition.
Also, David thanks God for making him a stouthearted man

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟527,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bathsheba was doing her post-menstrual ceremonial ablutions in the public mikvah. That's why the writer could know she was immediately post-menstrual. She would have been fully clothed as she went into the water, and she would not have been the only woman doing so.
I don't know what source you are using...not one I accept...it is additional to the Holy Scriptures.
But, I don't present my post to be either true or false.

Upvote 0