Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I see a potential danger with devotionals becoming the pursuit of emotional sensation. I think the natural emotional reaction to contemplation of God, his holiness, his love for us, or the sacrifice of Jesus to be sufficient..
Thanks for your response :)

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟94,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is your favorite devotionals?
My Utmost for His Highest (Chambers), and Morning and Evening (Spurgeon) are 2 of best IMO. I also get "the Word of the day" by Fr. Basil in my email, which is also good. Bible Portal has many to choose from.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
My Utmost for His Highest (Chambers), and Morning and Evening (Spurgeon) are 2 of best IMO. I also get "the Word of the day" by Fr. Basil in my email, which is also good. Bible Portal has many to choose from.
Thanks for the recommendation! I will look into it :)

Blessings

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟484,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I really like the Akathists used in Eastern Orthodoxy. They follow the format of an old Kontakion, an ancient style of long form hymn. The melody used in Russian, Ukrainian and Bulgarian churches, which I think dates from the 18th century, is hypnotically beautiful.

• Winner
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟248,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I really like the Akathists used in Eastern Orthodoxy. They follow the format of an old Kontakion, an ancient style of long form hymn. The melody used in Russian, Ukrainian and Bulgarian churches, which I think dates from the 18th century, is hypnotically beautiful.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely be looking into these as part of my prayer routine. :)

(side note: I am looking at praying the Akathists to St. Varus for those who reposed outside the faith. "St. Varus, pray for those in the great beyond" (St. Cleopatra is another saint to ask for intercession for those who died outside the faith))

Blessings

Upvote 0