Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let Us Ask Of God

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. James 1:5.

It is the privilege of every believer first to talk with God in his closet, and then as God’s
mouthpiece to talk with others. In order that we may have something to impart, we must receive light and blessing. Men and women who commune with God, who have an abiding
Christ, who, because they cooperate with holy angels, are surrounded with holy influences, needed at this time. The cause needs those who have power to draw with Christ, power to express
the love of God in words of encouragement and sympathy.

As the believer bows in supplication before God, and in humility and contrition offers petition from unfeigned lips, he loses all thought of self. His mind is filled with the thought what he must have in order to build up a Christlike character. He prays, "Lord, if I am to a channel through which Thy love is to flow day by day and hour by hour, I claim by faith grace and power that Thou hast promised." He fastens his hold firmly on the promise, "If any you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, ... and it shall be given him."

How this dependence pleases the Master! How He delights to hear the steady, earnest
pleading! ... With wonderful and ennobling grace the Lord sanctifies the humble petitioner,
giving him power to perform the most difficult duties. All that is undertaken is done unto Lord, and this elevates and sanctifies the lowliest calling. It invests with new dignity every word,
every act, and links the humblest worker ... with the highest of the angels in the heavenly courts....

The sons and daughters of God have a great work to do in the world. They are to accept Word of God as the man of their counsel and to impart it to others. They are to diffuse light. who have received the engrafted word will be faithful in giving that word to others. They speak the words of Christ. In conversation and in deportment they will give evidence of a conversion to the principles of truth. Such believers will be a spectacle to the world, to angels,
and to men, and God will be glorified in them.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Nothing Too Small

The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.
Lamentations 3:25.

There are few who rightly appreciate or improve the precious privilege of prayer. We should
go to Jesus and tell Him all our needs. We may bring Him our little cares and perplexities as well
as our greater troubles. Whatever arises to disturb or distress us, we should take it to the Lord in
prayer.

We lose many precious blessings by failing to bring our needs and cares and sorrows to our
Saviour. He is the wonderful Counselor. He looks upon His church with intense interest and with
a heart full of tender sympathy. He enters into the depth of our necessities. But our ways are
not always His ways. He sees the result of every action, and He asks us to trust patiently in His
wisdom, not in the supposedly wise plans of our own making.

Do not cease to pray. If the answer tarry, wait for it. Lay all your plans at the feet of
the Redeemer. Let your importunate prayers ascend to God. If it be for His name’s glory, the
soothing words will be spoken, "Be it unto thee according to thy word."
We can never weary Christ by earnest supplications. We do not depend on God as we should.

Let us leave unsaid every word of complaint. Talk faith and courage while waiting for God....
Be afraid to doubt, lest this become a habit that will destroy faith. The dealing of the heavenly
Father may seem dark and mysterious and unexplainable; nevertheless we are to trust in Him.

Oh, how precious is Jesus to the soul who trusts in Him! But many are walking in darkness
because they bury their faith in the shadow of Satan.... Never for a moment should we allow
Satan to think that his power to distress and annoy is greater than the power of Christ to uphold
and strengthen....

Every sincere prayer that is offered is mingled with the efficacy of Christ’s blood. If the
answer is deferred, it is because God desires us to show a holy boldness in claiming the pledged
word of God. He is faithful who hath promised. He will never forsake the soul who is wholly
surrendered to Him.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Our Personal Intercessor

Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who
is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Romans 8:34.

The Lord Jesus is your personal intercessor.... Repeat over and over many times through the
day, “Jesus has died for me. He saw me in peril, exposed to destruction, and poured out His life
to save me. He does not behold the soul as a trembling suppliant prostrate at His feet without pity,
and He will not fail to raise me up.” He has become the advocate for man. He has lifted up those
who believe in Him and placed a treasurehouse of blessing at their demand. Men cannot bestow
one blessing upon their fellows, they cannot remove one stain of sin. It is only the merit and
righteousness of Christ that will avail anything, but this is placed to our account in rich fullness.

We may draw upon God every moment. As we turn to Him, He answers, “Here I am.”
Christ proclaims Himself our Intercessor. He would have us know that He has graciously
engaged to be our Substitute. He places His merit in the golden censer to offer up with the
prayers of His saints, so that the prayers of His dear children may be mingled with the fragrant
merit of Christ as they ascend to the Father in the cloud of incense.

The Father hears every prayer of His contrite children. The voice of supplication from the
earth unites with the voice of our Intercessor, who pleads in heaven, whose voice the Father
always hears. Let our prayers therefore continually ascend to God. Let them not come up in the
name of any human being, but in the name of Him who is our Substitute and Surety. Christ has
given us His name to use....

Jesus receives and welcomes you as His own friend. He loves you; He has pledged Himself
to open before you all the treasures of His grace for your appropriation. He says, “At that day ye
shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: for the Father
himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God”
(John 16:26, 27). He virtually says, Make use of My name, and it will be your passport to the
heart of My Father, and to all the riches of His grace.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Angels In The Home

For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall
bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone. Psalm 91:11, 12.

Angels of God are watching over us. Upon this earth there are thousands and tens of
thousands of heavenly messengers commissioned by the Father to prevent Satan from obtaining
any advantage over those who refuse to walk in the path of evil. And these angels who guard
God’s children on earth are in communication with the Father in heaven. “Take heed that ye
despise not one of these little ones,” Christ said; “for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels
do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven” (Matthew 18:10).
Scarcely any of us realize that angels are about us; and these precious angels, who minister to
those who shall be heirs of salvation, are saving from us many, many temptations and difficulties.

The whole family of heaven is interested in the families here below; and how thankful we should
be for this interest manifested for us day and night.
Words spoken in our homes which are impatient and unkind, angels hear; and do you want
to find in the books of heaven a record of the impatient and passionate words you have uttered in
your family? Impatience brings the enemy of God and man into your family and drives out the
angels of God. If you are abiding in Christ, and Christ in you, you cannot speak angry words.

Fathers and mothers, I beseech you for Christ’s sake, to be kind, tender, and patient in your
homes. Then light and sunshine will enter your homes, and you will feel that bright beams from
the Sun of Righteousness are indeed shining into your hearts.
It is the absence of the graces of God’s Spirit that leaves the home in a dark, unhappy
condition. Your home should be a blessed sanctuary where God can come in, and where His
holy angels can minister unto you. If impatience and unkindness are manifested one to another,
angels cannot be attracted to your home; but where love and peace abide, these heavenly ones
love to come and bring still more of the holy influence of the home above.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
ECR,

It's a good idea to give reference on the SOP quotes in the DD posts. Thanks.

I stated it at the beginning, they are all from the compilation 'Our Father Cares'. No other reference is given to their origin...

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Act Of Faith

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews
11:1.

Faith is not the ground of our salvation, but it is the great blessing—the eye that sees, the ear
that hears, the feet that run, the hand that grasps. It is the means, not the end. If Christ gave His
life to save sinners, why shall I not take that blessing? My faith grasps it, and thus my faith is the
substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. Thus resting and believing, I have
peace with God through the Lord Jesus Christ.

Faith, saving faith ... is the act of the soul by which the whole man is given over to the
guardianship and control of Jesus Christ. He abides in Christ and Christ abides in the soul by
faith as supreme. The believer commits his soul and body to God, and with assurance may say,
Christ is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day. All who will do
this will be saved unto life eternal. There will be an assurance that the soul is washed in the blood
of Christ and clothed with His righteousness and precious in the sight of Jesus.
Remember that the exercise of faith is the one means of preserving it. Should you sit always
in one position, without moving, your muscles would become strengthless and your limbs would
lose the power of motion. The same is true in regard to your religious experience. You must have
faith in the promises of God.... Faith will perfect itself in exercise and activity.

It is of the greatest importance to us that we surround the soul with the atmosphere of
faith. Every day we are deciding our own eternal destiny in harmony with the atmosphere
that surrounds the soul. We are individually accountable for the influence that we exert, and
consequences that we do not see will result from our words and actions. If God would have
saved Sodom for the sake of ten righteous persons, what would be the influence for good that
might go out as the result of the faithfulness of the people of God if every one who professed the
name of Christ were also clothed with His righteousness?

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
A Working Faith

And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that
which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith.

Philippians 3:9.

It is one thing to read and teach the Bible, and another thing to have by practice its life-giving,
sanctifying principles engrafted on the soul.... “By grace are ye saved through faith” (Ephesians
2:8). The mind should be educated to exercise faith rather than to cherish doubt, suspicion, and
jealousy. We are too prone to regard obstacles as impossibilities. To have faith in the promises
of God, to go forward by faith, pressing on without being governed by circumstances, is a lesson
hard to learn. Yet it is a positive necessity that every child of God should learn this lesson.
The grace of God through Christ is ever to be cherished, for it is given us as the only way of
approaching God....

The faith mentioned in God’s Word calls for a life in which faith in Christ is an active, living
principle. It is God’s will that faith in Christ shall be made perfect by works; He connects the
salvation and eternal life of those who believe, with these works, and through them provides for
the light of truth to go to all countries and peoples. This is the fruit of the workings of God’s
Spirit.

We show our faith in God by obeying His commands. Faith is always expressed in words and
actions. It produces practical results, for it is a vital element in the life. The life that is molded
by faith develops a determination to advance, to go forward, following in the footsteps of Christ.

We have been taken as rough stones out of the quarry of the world by the cleaver of truth and
placed in the workshop of God. He who has genuine faith in Christ as his personal Saviour will
find that the truth accomplishes a definite work for him. His faith is a working faith.... We cannot
create our faith, but we can be colaborers with Christ in promoting the growth and triumph of
faith.

The faith that works by love and purifies the soul produces the fruit of humility, patience,
forbearance, long-suffering, peace, joy, and willing obedience.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Our Example In Obedience

For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an
example, that ye should follow his steps: who did no sin, neither was guile found in his
mouth. 1 Peter 2:21, 22.

Before us is held out the wonderful possibility of being like Christ—obedient to all the
principles of the law of God. But of ourselves we are utterly powerless to attain to this condition.

All that is good in man comes to him through Christ. The holiness that God’s Word declares we
must have before we can be saved is the result of the working of divine grace as
we bow in submission to the discipline and restraining influence of the Spirit of truth.

Man’s obedience can be made perfect only by the incense of Christ’s righteousness, which
fills with divine fragrance every act of true obedience. The part of the Christian is to persevere
in overcoming every fault. Constantly he is to pray to the Saviour to heal the disorders of his
diseased soul. He has not the wisdom and strength without which he cannot overcome. They
belong to the Lord, and He bestows them on those who in humiliation and contrition seek Him
for help.

The work of transformation from unholiness to holiness is a continuous work. Day by
day God labors for man’s sanctification, and man is to cooperate with Him by putting forth
persevering efforts in the cultivation of right habits....

God will more than fulfill the highest expectations of those who put their trust in Him. He
desires us to remember that when we are humble and contrite, we stand where He can and will
manifest Himself to us. He is well pleased when we urge past mercies and blessings as a reason
why He should bestow on us higher and greater blessings. He is honored when we love Him and
bear testimony to the genuineness of our love by keeping His commandments. He is honored
when we set apart the seventh day as sacred and holy. To those who do this, the Sabbath is a
sign, ... God declares, “that I am the Lord that sanctify them” (Ezekiel 20:12). Sanctification
means habitual communion with God. There is nothing so great and powerful as God’s love for
those who are His children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Highest Culture

Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.
Proverbs 3:13.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the man who consents to be molded
and fashioned after the divine similitude is the noblest specimen of the work of God....

The experimental knowledge of true godliness, in daily consecration and service to God,
ensures the highest culture of the mind, soul, and body.... The impartation of divine power honors
our sincere striving after wisdom for the conscientious use of our highest faculties to honor God
and bless our fellow men. As these faculties are derived from God, and not self-created, they
should be appreciated as talents from God to be employed in His service.

The Heaven-entrusted faculties of the mind are to be treated as the higher powers, to rule the
kingdom of the body. The natural appetites and passions are to be brought under the control of the conscience and the spiritual affections....

The religion of Jesus Christ never degrades the receiver; it never makes him coarse or rough,
discourteous or self-important, passionate or hardhearted. On the contrary, it refines the taste,
sanctifies the judgment, purifies and ennobles the thoughts by bringing them into captivity to
Jesus Christ.

God’s ideal for His children is higher than the highest human thought can reach. The living
God has given in His holy law a transcript of His character. The greatest Teacher the world has
ever known is Jesus Christ. And what is the standard He has given for all who believe in Him
to reach? “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect” (Matthew
5:48). As God is perfect in His high sphere of action, so man may be perfect in his human sphere.
The ideal of Christian character is Christlikeness. There is opened before us a path of continual
advancement. We have an object to reach, a standard to gain which includes everything good and
pure and noble and elevated. There should be continual striving and constant progress onward
and upward toward perfection of character.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Christ In All Our Thoughts

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there
be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23, 24.

Few realize that it is a duty to exercise control over the thoughts and imaginations. It is
difficult to keep the undisciplined mind fixed upon profitable subjects. But if the thoughts are
not properly employed, religion cannot flourish in the soul. The mind must be preoccupied with
sacred and eternal things, or it will cherish trifling and superficial thoughts. Both the intellectual
and the moral powers must be disciplined, and they will . . improve by exercise.

In order to understand this matter aright, we must remember that our hearts are naturally
depraved, and we are unable of ourselves to pursue a right course. It is only by the grace of God,
combined with the most earnest effort on our part, that we can gain the victory. The intellect, as
well as the heart, must be consecrated to the service of God. He has claims upon all there is of
us.

Few believe that humanity has sunk so low as it has or that it is so thoroughly bad, so
desperately opposed to God, as it is.... When the mind is not under the direct influence of the
Spirit of God, Satan can mold it as he chooses. All the rational powers which he controls he will carnalize.
He is directly opposed to God in his tastes, views, preferences, likes and dislikes, choice of things and pursuits;
there is no relish for what God loves or approves, but a delight in those things which He
despises....

If Christ is abiding in the heart, He will be in all our thoughts. Our deepest thoughts will be
of Him, His love, His purity. He will fill all the chambers of the mind. Our affections will center
about Jesus. All our hopes and expectations will be associated with Him. To live the life we now
live by faith in the Son of God, looking forward to and loving His appearing, will be the soul’s
highest joy. He will be the crown of our rejoicing.

Those who have trained the mind to delight in spiritual exercises are the ones who can be
translated and not be overwhelmed with the purity and transcendent glory of heaven.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Gold Of Christian Character

A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than
silver and gold. Proverbs 22:1.

Men may aspire to renown. They may desire to possess a great name. With some the
possession of houses and lands and plenty of money, that which will make them great according
to the measure of the world, is the height of their ambition. They desire to reach the place where
they can look down with a sense of superiority upon those who are poor. All such are building
on the sand, and their house will fall suddenly. Superiority of position is not true greatness. That
which does not increase the value of the soul is of no real value in itself. That which alone is
worth obtaining is greatness of soul in the sight of Heaven. The true and exalted nature of your
work you may never know. The value of your own being you can only measure by the value of
that Life given to save all who will receive it.

Every man will have some estimate of his own worth when he becomes a laborer together
with Christ, doing the work that Christ did, filling the world with Christ’s righteousness, bearing
a commission from the Most High.... The commission given to the disciples is given to all who
are connected with Christ. They are to make any and every sacrifice for the joy of seeing souls
saved who are perishing out of Christ....

The highest honor that can be conferred upon human beings, be they young or old, rich or
poor, is to be permitted to lift up the oppressed, to comfort the feeble-minded. The world is full
of suffering. Go, and preach the gospel to the poor; heal the sick. This is the work to be connected with the gospel message.

“The poor have the gospel preached to them” (Matthew 11:5). Colaborers with God are to fill
the space they occupy in the world with the love of Jesus.... The love of Christ in the heart is
expressed in the actions. If love for Christ is dull the love for those for whom Christ died will
degenerate....

True riches are genuine faith and genuine love. These make the character complete in Christ.
If there were more faith, simple, trusting faith in Jesus, there would be love, pure love, which is
the gold of Christian character.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Kind And Courteous Words

The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak
a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine
ear to hear as the learned. Isaiah 50:4.

What Christ was in His life on this earth, that every Christian is to be. He is our example,
not only in His spotless purity, but in His patience, gentleness, and winsomeness of disposition.
He was firm as a rock where truth and duty were concerned, but He was invariably kind and
courteous. His life was a perfect illustration of true courtesy.... His presence brought a purer
atmosphere into the home, and His life was as leaven working amid the elements of society.

Harmless and undefiled, He walked among the thoughtless, the rude, the uncourteous; amid the
unjust publicans, the unrighteous Samaritans, the heathen soldiers, the rough peasants, and the
mixed multitude.

He spoke a word of sympathy here and a word there as He saw men weary and compelled
to bear heavy burdens. He shared their burdens and repeated to them the lessons He had learned
from nature, of the love, the kindness, the goodness of God. He sought to inspire with hope
the most rough and unpromising, setting before them the assurance that they might become
blameless and harmless, attaining such a character as would make them manifest as children of
God.... Jesus sat an honored guest at the table of the publicans, by His sympathy and social
kindliness showing that He recognized the dignity of humanity; and men longed to become
worthy of His confidence. Upon their thirsty souls His words fell with blessed, life-giving power.
New impulses were awakened, and the possibility of a new life opened to these outcasts of
society.

The religion of Jesus softens whatever is hard and rough in the temper and smooths off whatever
is rugged and sharp in the manners. It is this religion that makes the words gentle and the
demeanor winning. Let us learn from Christ how to combine a high sense
of purity and integrity with sunniness of disposition. A kind, courteous Christian is the most
powerful argument that can be produced in favor of the gospel.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Test Of Appetite

But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I
have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. 1 Corinthians 9:27.

After His baptism the Son of God entered the dreary wilderness, there to be tempted by the
devil. For nearly six weeks He endured the agonies of hunger.... He realized the power of appetite
upon man; and in behalf of sinful man, He bore the closest test possible upon that point. Here
a victory was gained which few can appreciate. The controlling power of depraved appetite and
the grievous sin of indulging it can only be understood by the length of the fast which our Saviour
endured that He might break its power....

Intemperance lies at the foundation of all the moral evils known to man. Christ began the
work of redemption just where the ruin began. The fall of our first parents was caused by the
indulgence of appetite. In redemption, the denial of appetite is the first work of Christ.

The Son of God saw that man could not of himself overcome this powerful temptation.... He
came to earth to unite His divine power with our human efforts, that through the strength and
moral power which He imparts, we might overcome in our own behalf. Oh! what matchless
condescension for the King of glory to come down to this world to endure the pangs of hunger
and the fierce temptations of a wily foe, that He might gain an infinite victory for man. Here
is love without a parallel. Yet this great condescension is but dimly comprehended by those for
whom it was made.

It was not the gnawing pangs of hunger alone which made the sufferings of our Redeemer so
inexpressibly severe. It was the sense of guilt which had resulted from the indulgence of appetite
that had brought such terrible woe into the world, which pressed so heavily upon His divine
soul....

With man’s nature, and the terrible weight of his sins pressing upon Him, our Redeemer
withstood the power of Satan upon this great leading temptation, which imperils the souls of
men. If man should overcome this temptation, he could conquer on every other point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Keeping Love Alive

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. Husbands,
love your wives, and be not bitter against them. Colossians 3:18, 19.

How much trouble and what a tide of woe and unhappiness would be saved if men, and
women also, would continue to cultivate the regard, attention, and kind words of appreciation
and little courtesies of life which kept love alive and which they felt were necessary in gaining
the companions of their choice. If the husband and wife would only continue to cultivate these
attentions which nourish love, they would be happy in each other’s society and would have
a sanctifying influence upon their families. They would have in themselves a little world of
happiness and would not desire to go outside this world for new attractions and new objects of
love....

Many women pine for words of love and kindness and the common attentions and courtesies
due them from their husbands who have selected them as their life companions.... It is these little
attentions and courtesies which make up the sum of life’s happiness....

If the hearts were kept tender in our families, if there were a noble, generous deference to each
other’s tastes and opinions, if the wife were seeking opportunities to express her love by actions
in her courtesies to her husband, and the husband were manifesting the same consideration and
kindly regard for the wife, the children would partake of the same spirit. The influence would
pervade the household, and what a tide of misery would be saved in the families! ...

Every couple who unite their life interest should seek to make the life of each as happy as
possible. That which we prize we seek to preserve and make more valuable if we can. In the
marriage contract men and women have made a trade, an investment for life, and they should do
their utmost to control their words of impatience and fretfulness, even more carefully than they
did before their marriage, for now their destinies are united for life as husband and wife, and
each is valued in exact proportion to the amount of painstaking effort put forth to retain and keep
fresh the love so eagerly sought for and prized before marriage.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Voice Of Duty

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might. Ecclesiastes 9:10.

The voice of duty is the voice of God—an inborn, heaven-sent guide. Whether it be pleasing
or unpleasing, we are to do the duty that lies directly in our pathway. If the Lord would have us
bear a message to Nineveh, it will not be pleasing to Him for us to go to Joppa or Capernaum.

God has reasons for sending us to the place to which our feet are directed....
It is the little foxes that spoil the vines, the little neglects, the little deficiencies, the little
dishonesties, the little departures from principle, that blind the soul and separate it from God.

It is the little things of life that develop the spirit and determine the character. Those who
neglect the little things will not be prepared to endure severe tests when they are brought to bear
upon them. Remember that the character building is not finished till life ends. Every day a good
or bad brick is placed in the structure. You are either building crookedly or with the exactness
and correctness that will make a beautiful temple for God. Therefore, in looking for great things
to do, neglect not the little opportunities that come to you day by day. He who neglects the little
things, and yet flatters himself that he is ready to do wonderful things for the Master, is in danger
of failing altogether, Life is made up, not of great sacrifices and of wonderful achievements, but
of little things.

Whatever your hands find to do, do it with your might. Make your work pleasant with songs
of praise. If you would have a clean record in the books of heaven, never fret or scold. Let your
daily prayer be, “Lord, help me to do my best.... Give me energy and cheerfulness. Help me to
bring into my service the loving ministry of the Saviour.”

Look upon every duty, however humble, as sacred because it is part of God’s service. Do not
allow anything to make you forgetful of God. Bring Christ into all that you do. Then your lives
will be filled with brightness and thanksgiving. You will do your best, moving forward cheerfully
in the service of the Lord, your hearts filled with His joy.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Living For Others

Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his
life a ransom for many. Matthew 20:28.

We are not to live for ourselves. Christ came to this world to live for others—not to be
ministered unto, but to minister. If you strive to live as He lived you are saying to the world,
“Behold the Man of Calvary.” By precept and example you are leading others in the way of righteousness.

The sin which is indulged to the greatest extent, and which separates us from God and
produces so many contagious spiritual disorders, is selfishness. There can be no returning to
the Lord except by self-denial. Of ourselves we can do nothing; but through God strengthening
us we can live to do good to others, and in this way shun the evil of selfishness. We need not
go to heathen lands to manifest our desire to devote all to God in a useful, unselfish life. We
should do this in the home circle, in the church, among those with whom we associate and with
whom we do business. Right in the common walks of life is where self is to be denied and kept
in subordination.

Paul could say: “I die daily” (1 Corinthians 15:31). It is the daily dying to self in the little
transactions of life that makes us overcomers. We should forget self in the desire to do good to
others. With many there is a decided lack of love for others. Instead of faithfully performing
their duty, they seek rather their own pleasure.

God positively enjoins upon all His followers a duty to bless others with their influence and
means.... In doing for others, a sweet satisfaction will be experienced, an inward peace which
will be a sufficient reward. When actuated by a high and noble desire to do others good, they will
find true happiness in a faithful discharge of life’s manifold duties. This will bring more than
an earthly reward; for every faithful, unselfish performance of duty is noticed by the angels and
shines in the life record. In heaven none will think of self, nor seek their own pleasure; but all,
from pure, genuine love, will seek the happiness of the heavenly beings around them. If we wish
to enjoy heavenly society in the earth made new, we must be governed by heavenly principles
here.

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No One Free From Temptation

Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed
in the last time. Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in
heaviness through manifold temptations. 1 Peter 1:5, 6.

Do not think that the Christian life is free from temptation. Temptations will come to every
Christian. Both the Christian and the one who does not accept Christ as his leader will have trials.
The difference is that the latter is serving a tyrant, doing his mean drudgery, while the Christian
is serving the One who died to give him eternal life. Do not look upon trial
as something strange, but as the means by which we are to be purified and strengthened. “Count
it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations,” James admonishes; “knowing this, that the trying
of your faith worketh patience” (James 1:2, 3).

In the future life we shall understand things that here greatly perplex us. We shall realize how
strong a helper we had and how angels of God were commissioned to guard us as we followed
the counsel of the Word of God.

To all who receive Him, Christ will give power to become the sons of God. He is a present
help in every time of need. Let us be ashamed of our wavering faith. Those who are overcome
have only themselves to blame for their failure to resist the enemy. All who choose can come to
Christ and find the help they need.

There stands among you the mighty Counselor of the ages, inviting you to place your
confidence in Him. Shall we turn away from Him to uncertain human beings, who are as wholly
dependent on God as we ourselves are? Have we fallen so far below our privileges? Have we not
been guilty of expecting so little that we have not asked for what God is longing to give?

“I will mention the lovingkindnesses of the Lord, and the praises of the Lord, according to
all that the Lord hath bestowed on us, and the great goodness toward the house of Israel.... For
he said, Surely they are my people, children that will not lie: so he was their Saviour. In all their
affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them” (Isaiah 63:7-9).

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Strength For Today

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined,
and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will
say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. Zechariah 13:9.

By trial the Lord proves the strength of His children. Is the heart strong to bear? Is the
conscience void of offense? Does the Spirit bear witness with our spirit that we are the children
of God? This the Lord ascertains by trying us. In the furnace of affliction He purifies us from all
dross. He sends us trials, not to cause needless pain, but to lead us to look to Him, to strengthen
our endurance, to teach us that if we do not rebel, but put our trust in Him, we shall see of His
salvation....

Christ’s love for His children is as strong as it is tender. It is a love stronger than death, for
He died for us. It is a love more true than that of a mother for her children. The mother’s love
may change, but Christ’s love is changeless. “I am persuaded,” Paul says, “that neither death,
nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God,
which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:38, 39).

In every trial we have strong consolation. Is not our Saviour touched with the feeling of
our infirmities? Has He not been tempted in all points like as we are? And has He not invited
us to take every trial and perplexity to Him? Then let us not make ourselves miserable over
tomorrow’s burdens. Bravely and cheerfully carry the burdens of today. Today’s trust and faith
we must have. But we are not asked to live more than a day at a time. He who gives strength for
today will give strength for tomorrow....

Nothing wounds the soul like the sharp darts of unbelief. When trial comes, as it will, do not
worry or complain. Silence in the soul makes more distinct the voice of God. “Then are they glad
because they be quiet” (Psalm 107:30). Remember that underneath you are the everlasting arms.

“Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him” (Psalm 37:7). He is guiding you into a harbor of
gracious experience.

Upvote 0