LifeInYou

a little lamb...*baaaa
Feb 11, 2003
Cali
Visit site
✟15,905.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think I love the mystery of courting. Like you can be pretty sure that he/she is the one, but really, if God permits, anything could happen. I also just like the idea of getting to know someone on that deep and personal level and then when you connect in various ways it makes you feel more alive. (well, it makes me feel alive anyway ;) )

:)

Upvote 0

PegasusOnFire

is currently unsupervised...
Jun 25, 2003
Iowa
✟32,653.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I like the way that in the traditional since of courting, you are either with his parents or her parents, it really helps you to avoid temptation and also allows the parents to get to know the couple as a unit. I also love courting, because you can do it over country lines. My fiancee is in Japan and I am in the USA, but not for much longer. (less than 2 weeks)

Upvote 0

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
How do people court when they are living independently from their parents? Say off at college or otherwise living independently?

Do you think that courting encourages more committed relationships at younger ages? If so, do you think this is a positive or negative thing?

I'm just curious about this, as I have never known anyone who was courting.

--tibac

Upvote 0

PegasusOnFire

is currently unsupervised...
Jun 25, 2003
Iowa
✟32,653.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, now I am living on my own, my parents moved several hundred miles away from me, and my fiancee lives several thousad miles away from his parents, his parents live close to me though. One way to court with out parents, would be to go out in groups, that way neither one of you are tempted because you will not be alone together. You will also get to know the person better when you are out in a group, my opinion only, you get to see them acting naturally.

Some other good things to do are give the other person love letters that you write out by hand. They are more personal that way. I really like when I get mail from my fiancee, as he always writes them out by hand. E-mail is a very impersonal way to talk to your significant other, again my own opinion. Jay and I use e-mail when we have to tell the other something that is urgent, and cannot wait the 8 days it takes in post.

Upvote 0

Lizzi4Christ

I'm worth waiting for.
Feb 13, 2002
It doesn't matter... my home is Heaven!
✟8,050.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I'm dating, not courting, at least by the definitions given here. I agree that it's important to get to know each other while in other groups and how they handle themselves around others, but I think being alone shows a side of them that's important too. Being alone, I've seen sides of him that I don't think he would show in public, like crying or telling me secrets that he feels like he has to tell me, that no one else should know.

The best part of it is growng together. THrough differences, through hard times, still growing closer together and seeing where God may be leading us to be.

Upvote 0

SoldierofChrist

Modern Reformationist
Mar 3, 2003
PA
✟767.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I guess "courting" in the traditional sense as defined here is something not possible for us College students. It's kind of hard to do those things when you're a couple hundred miles away from either person's home.

Perhaps courting is a good thing for younger/teenaged guys and girls to do to avoid that temptation. I think that's why it was the thing to do back in the day, because people usually married around 18 and didn't normally have to worry about College and getting a car, starting a career, etc...

*sigh* It's the paradox of progress. The more we try to improve our way of life and make things easier... the more complicated things become. Sometimes I wish I lived back in the old days.

Just avoid the world's way of dating. Some people miss out on the point of what courting is, and I don't think the terms matter. It's about growing in friendship with the person FIRST, and then if it's God will, progress toward the goal of marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodBoy809

Servant of Christ
Jul 5, 2002
Northwest Georgia
✟3,402.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well, i really don't know the difference between courting and dating....i'm going to say dating, simply because when i hear or think about courting, i think about ppl that are getting ready to marry. And me and kristi aren't about to get married.

I think the best part about either/or is spending time getting to know each other. And learning about their family. I think its really neat to learn about other peoples family history and stuff. I may just be weird like this but, i kinda enjoyed getting to know and meeting her parents. That was fun. Her mom can be very comical...when she has been made angry by kristi's younger sister.

Upvote 0

JahRawks

Jul 1, 2003
Earth
Visit site
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yeah, I agree, I think the best thing about dating/courting, is just being able to spend time with the person, and getting to know them on a very personal level, I know for me, I need both of what has been talked about here, I need to spend time with her parents, but I also need to spend alone time with her, because if her and I don't get to spend alone time, we can't tell each other stuff that we don't want anyone else to know, and feel that only the person you're dating, and hoping one day to marry should know, but yeah, the best thing and most fun thing is just getting to know the person on a more personal level

Upvote 0