US
✟106,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, for me the the real heart of the contemplative or mystic if you prefer is the inner life through the cross. Madame Guyon for one (and others) tried to move people away from some of the mysticism that revolved around spiritual experiences, phenomenon, sensory stuff of the Spirit, admonishing that these things really don't have a lot to do with spirituality, what really mattered was being brought into the depths of God. To me being one who spent some time in a well known charismatic movement/church early on in my Christianity the two are diametrically opposed. It is not that I didn't meet people who I believed "knew the Lord" in those groups it's just that where the Lord led me was far away from amps and music and experiences, into solitude aloneness and death. It was just very different for me, but I am just one voice of many here I realize.

Sorry was replying to @Citizen of the Kingdom about the differences between this and the Spirit filled Charismatic forum apologies if I did something wrong. Didn't know if the Moderators comments were for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟349,429.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, for me the the real heart of the contemplative or mystic if you prefer is the inner life through the cross. Madame Guyon for one (and others) tried to move people away from some of the mysticism that revolved around spiritual experiences, phenomenon, sensory stuff of the Spirit, admonishing that these things really don't have a lot to do with spirituality, what really mattered was being brought into the depths of God. To me being one who spent some time in a well known charismatic movement/church early on in my Christianity the two are diametrically opposed. It is not that I didn't meet people who I believed "knew the Lord" in those groups it's just that where the Lord led me was far away from amps and music and experiences, into solitude aloneness and death. It was just very different for me, but I am just one voice of many here I realize.

Sorry was replying to @Citizen of the Kingdom about the differences between this and the Spirit filled Charismatic forum apologies if I did something wrong. Didn't know if the Moderators comments were for me.
No not a problem. I was answering the mod about the same time. I agree that it is different than discussions of ministries if that's what you mean. It's about our walk with God. I suggested a sub forum to deeper fellowship where many go for different objectives also.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,749,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟349,429.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In the Garden
Alan Jackson
I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear
The son of God discloses

And he walks with me
And he talks with me
And he tells me I am his own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known

I'd stay in the garden with him
Though the night around me is falling
But he bids me go
Through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling

And he walks with me
And he talks with me
And he tells me I am his own

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟349,429.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is your definition of Christian Mysticism?
I would say it's described quite well by Brother Lawrence's book ~ The Practice of the Presence of God

kinda short an sweet but never wavering from the point

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,749,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I would say it's described quite well by Brother Lawrence's book ~ The Practice of the Presence of God

kinda short an sweet but never wavering from the point
I’m not going to read a book to determine if I’ll sign off on something.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟349,429.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m not going to read a book to determine if I’ll sign off on something.
You can listen to it on this 1 1/2 hour video. (it's a very short book) The first 1/2 hour are BL's public statements.

I'm sure others have more ideas that could grow to a statement of purpose

The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence - Bing video

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,749,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You can listen to it on this 1 hour video. (it's a very short book)

I'm sure others have more ideas that could grow to a statement of purpose

The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence - Bing video
Not doing that, either. I’ll wait for the OP to respond to get a feel for what it’s about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is your definition of Christian Mysticism?
A simple definition I would give would be the traditional and modern movements of experiential and apophatic theology.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟349,429.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A simple definition I would give would be the traditional and modern movements of experiential theology.
Is that anything to do with the physics of the mystical? Something hard to define for sure when it comes to that. May be a different topic ... or not?

Physics
Experimental theology was the name of physics in Lyra's world, a branch of the natural sciences that sought to study matter and its behaviour and motion through space-time. Physics also sought to study the related entities of energy and force.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Is that anything to do with the physics of the mystical? Something hard to define for sure when it comes to that.

Physics
Experimental theology was the name of physics in Lyra's world, a branch of the natural sciences that sought to study matter and its behaviour and motion through space-time. Physics also sought to study the related entities of energy and force.
Experiential, not experimental.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,749,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
A simple definition I would give would be the traditional and modern movements of experiential theology.
Which means what?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And why do you think we need this?
I believe it will contribute to a wider discussion on theological topics that most people aren't familiar with. Mystical theology would be a better name.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟349,429.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe it will contribute to a wider discussion on theological topics that most people aren't familiar with. Mystical theology would be a better name.
I notice that "Mystical Theology" on Wiki leaves out any newer forms which others have pointed out like Madam Guyon and others. These are the things I would like to see addressed.

I see mysticism brought forward much during the latest history of the church.

Mystical theology - Wikipedia

Contents

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Hidden in Christ
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟349,429.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe that this is the defining scripture of mysticism. (In this sense it is coming to the knowledge of the mind of Christ.) (ETA)

1 Cor 2:12-16
12 What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, explaining spiritual realities with Spirit-taught words. 14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 15 The person with the Spirit makes judgments about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, 16 for,

“Who has known the mind of the Lord
so as to instruct him?”

But we have the mind of Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.