Christian Murder

Exhausted

Oct 16, 2005
Earth
✟3,462.00
Faith
Christian
I was just thinking. For folks who believe in the afterlife, should taking a life be that big a deal? I mean, all you're doing is bumping up the inevitable.

The only real problem, I guess, would be that the victim would be missed, and that dying is often unpleasant.

So, if a person without social ties is killed painlessly, is that really immoral?

It strikes me as kind of trifling, really.

Reactions: cantata

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've always wondered this.

Abortion and child-killing should be seen as really selfless acts. I mean, what could be more loving than giving up your own salvation for that of an innocent child?

This is a good place to see the logic of a liberal-progressive mind. Or lack thereof.

Upvote 0

Kattylove

Trusting in the Lord :)
Jun 5, 2008
United Kingdom
✟15,271.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
cantata said:
Abortion and child-killing should be seen as really selfless acts. I mean, what could be more loving than giving up your own salvation for that of an innocent child?
The fact of the matter is that as there is a lot of scripture in the Bible that condemns murder (the most obvious being "thou shalt not kill"), and as somebody who religiously follows the Bible considers it to be the true moral standard, sin - as defined by the Bible - is simply not the most loving thing to do, no matter how strong the counter-arguments may seem to be. To most Christians, God is the most important 'person' to love, and it's more loving to God not to act in a way that He deems sinful rather than 'go with the flow' and agree with fellow men instead. I can see exactly where you're coming from, though, and I think this is one of the reasons why people despise religion.

Upvote 0

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Logically speaking, how do you know that person doesn't have something else planned? God has a plan for us here and murder and suicide is basically telling God that we don't need His plan. Not to mention the fact we all have individual rights and the most important is the right to live and no person has the right to take that away. God wouldn't give us life if it was really THAT unimportant.

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was just thinking. For folks who believe in the afterlife, should taking a life be that big a deal? I mean, all you're doing is bumping up the inevitable.

The only real problem, I guess, would be that the victim would be missed, and that dying is often unpleasant.

So, if a person without social ties is killed painlessly, is that really immoral?

GOD gives life and only GOD should take it.

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Logically speaking, how do you know that person doesn't have something else planned? God has a plan for us here and murder and suicide is basically telling God that we don't need His plan. Not to mention the fact we all have individual rights and the most important is the right to live and no person has the right to take that away. God wouldn't give us life if it was really THAT unimportant.

If I'm reading what you are writing correctly, why would God have anything planned for someone that God KNOWS is going to be killed by you? It wouldn't make sense.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One of the same reasons that Socrates gave for not committing suicide. Taking this view means that life on Earth is essentially pointless and worthless. Yet God made human life material for some reason, so that can't be the case. There has to be something inherently valuable about direct experience with a physical world that we have here on Earth.

Really I think the confusion is coming from the Gnostic strain that permeates Christianity with the message that "our bodies are worthless and evil." The key to a belief in an eventual resurrection is that this isn't the case, why go back to bodies if they didn't do any good?

A person is most complete not as a soul but rather as a soul and body together. It isn't spirit good, matter bad. Everything has the potential for good, and an ultimate purpose.

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But heaven's supposed to be better than earthly life - right? So for whose benefit is all this earthly existence?

When I was little I used to ask this question. My mum used to say you're put on earth first so God can prevent the riff raff getting into heaven. To which I used to reply, "you wont be getting in then".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Exhausted

Oct 16, 2005
Earth
✟3,462.00
Faith
Christian
One of the same reasons that Socrates gave for not committing suicide. Taking this view means that life on Earth is essentially pointless and worthless. Yet God made human life material for some reason, so that can't be the case. There has to be something inherently valuable about direct experience with a physical world that we have here on Earth.

Really I think the confusion is coming from the Gnostic strain that permeates Christianity with the message that "our bodies are worthless and evil." The key to a belief in an eventual resurrection is that this isn't the case, why go back to bodies if they didn't do any good?

A person is most complete not as a soul but rather as a soul and body together. It isn't spirit good, matter bad. Everything has the potential for good, and an ultimate purpose.
This assumes that God has here because he wants us here. It seems more logical to me that God can't just bring us straight heaven, that he can only do that after death. Or that God couldn't get rid of life on Earth, so he built around it.

(EDIT note. One of the main reasons I made this thread was just to change things up from all the gay threads. Seriously, everyone. Be creative! I beg of you!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0