✟174,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How so? How are they liberal?
They're not. They don't put up with shenanigans from far-right inquirer types among young men who get all their information about Orthodoxy, women, marriage, and everything else from other toxic young men on reddit.

• Friendly
Reactions: E.C. and gzt
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟138,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They're not. They don't put up with shenanigans from far-right inquirer types among young men who get all their information about Orthodoxy, women, marriage, and everything else from other toxic young men on reddit.
'Twas my impression as well. Which, again, is why I make it a point to ask Orthodox what they mean by liberal vs conservative vs traditional vs ecumenical.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟437,693.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There IS position that can be called “far-right” in the Church.
There is ALSO a position that can be called “far-left” in the Church.
There are positions that go too far in restricting legitimate liberty and economia in favor of a conception of “one size fits all”.
There ARE positions that go too far in claiming liberty where we are called to the restraint and denialof self and the passions.

Pretending that challenges to the side we favor (which has its own tendencies to go wrong) are unimportant, and that the only serious consideration is the wrongs of the side we don’t like so much is not honest, especially to ourselves. I favor “the right”, because I perceive that the most clear and present danger, both in our personal lives, and in the communal life of our congregations and the Church as a whole is in the anarchy, sexual and otherwise that arises when we all seek to justify our own passions. But I recognize that “the right” can go too far, and certainly in the Russian Church today, it has in fact done so, leaving me homeless and in a state I can hardly describe to any of you. I have suffered from these far-right extremists in control. But I can hardly have sympathy for “the left” when they refuse to admit that the tendencies they espouse can be, and are in fact, taken too far by many.

Upvote 0

Platina

Nov 3, 2017
Mechanicsburg
✟229,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I mean this is literally what the other poster was fighting with the reddit mods over, but you can write whatever fan fiction you want about me.
this wasn't really a question of liberal or not, though. this was just the one mod publicly lying continually about any number of things, including me personally. Fr. Peter just happened to be her favorite topic to blatantly lie about.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟119,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't really have a reason to trust your side of a he-said-she-said battle with moderators on another site, it just sounds like sour grapes. ooooh, those durn liberalists!

Reactions: E.C.
Upvote 0

Platina

Nov 3, 2017
Mechanicsburg
✟229,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Whether or not you trust me doesn't change the facts of the situation.

well, they seem to think that Fr Peter Heers is operating outside of episcopal authority rather than really truly secretly somehow being under some bishop somewhere

That's not what it was about. It's a fact that he's not currently under anyone, since ROCOR chose to drop him. what she continually lied about is what led up to this situation.

And as I said, she also lied about me personally, so your trust or lack thereof means nothing

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟437,693.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This exchange underscores what I said above, this seems to bear repeating, since it appears not to have been heard:
”Pretending that challenges to the side we favor (which has its own tendencies to go wrong) are unimportant, and that the only serious consideration is the wrongs of the side we don’t like so much is not honest, especially to ourselves.”

Upvote 0

Prodigal7

Feb 10, 2007
California
✟11,602.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been an active member of various forums since 1997. The good ones have all become sort of "stagnant" to me. But I don't mean that as an insult. I see forums a bit like Conway's game of life*. There is a sweet spot for serious discussion. When they get too big that is lost and folks like me quit posting. It's like that old Hillary Clinton meme, "It takes a village". She was a stopped clock being right with that one. But the key is that it's a village, not a city. I moved from Seattle to a small Kentucky county 13 years ago. This is a "village". There is not a lot of anonymity here. The area is, relatively speaking, close knit. It's almost impossible to hit the local Wal-Mart without seeing someone you know, and I suspect the cops know pretty much every car in town. It's a whole different vibe than NYC, or even Seattle or Chicago.

And I see Reddit as NYC and sites like this one as my local county. I strongly prefer the latter when trying to build relationships and being more than merely "polite". And Christianity is ALL about personal relationships - with our creator and our fellow man.

*Conways's game of life is a simple computer program that uses the concept of bits in a lifecycle, with each lifecycle each bit either reproduce another, does nothing, or dies, based on their proximity to other bits in each lifecycle.

I agree with your thoughts. Now that I actually have a parish what happens there is way more important that what comes up online. I guess I have a link to this forum though since I have some really old posts on here. It was part of my journey for sure.

Upvote 0