WI
✟106,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Today we are going to analyze Joshua 1:9 and Isaiah 43:18, some verses that discuss the topic of change. @Gnarwhal posted a thread about change, so hopefully this Bible study table will be useful to him, and all of us who are worried about change. If you want more of these Bible study tables, I will try to post a few of these tables per week. For me, change can be difficult, as some change leads to potentially worse outcomes, but most change (say 70%) leads to better circumstances in my opinion. So bros and sisters, let's begin.

Date
April 24, 2024​
Verse
Joshua 1:9 (ESV): "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

Isaiah 43:18 (ESV): "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past."​
Explanation
Joshua 1:9 is a command from God to Joshua, as he was about to lead the Israelites into the Promised Land after the death of Moses. The verse emphasizes the importance of being strong and courageous, and not being frightened or dismayed despite the challenges they would face. God reassures Joshua that He will be with them wherever they go, providing comfort and guidance in the midst of uncertainty.
Isaiah 43:18, on the other hand, is a call from God to His people to forget the past and focus on the future. This verse comes in the context of God's redemption and restoration of Israel after their exile in Babylon. By urging them to forget the former things, God is encouraging them to move on from their past mistakes and hardships, trusting that He will make all things new.
Both passages relate to accepting change and not worrying about the future in several ways:
  1. Trusting God's Presence: Joshua 1:9 reminds us that no matter what challenges we face, God is with us. This gives us the strength and courage to move forward in faith, even when we are uncertain about the future. Similarly, Isaiah 43:18 encourages us to trust God's redemptive work in our lives and to focus on today, rather than dwelling on past regrets or mistakes.
  2. Embracing Change: Both passages also remind us that change is a part of life, whether it be leading a people into a new land or experiencing God's redemptive work in our lives. Joshua was called to lead the Israelites into a new territory, and they had to adapt to new challenges and circumstances. Similarly, Isaiah's call to forget the past and focus on the future implies that God was making new things happen in their lives. In the 21st century, we face constant change in our personal lives and in the world around us.
  3. Letting Go of Regret: Isaiah 43:18 specifically calls us to forget the former things and not dwell on the past. In the context of our lives, this means letting go of regrets, mistakes, and negative experiences that can weigh us down and hinder our growth. Instead, we are encouraged to focus on the present, trusting that God is working in our lives for good. For example, someone who is stuck in regret can be encouraged to trust God's forgiveness and mercy. Similarly, someone facing a major life change, can be reminded to trust God's presence and guidance in the new situation, even if it is uncertain or intimidating. Ultimately, both Joshua 1:9 and Isaiah 43:18 remind us that God is faithful and present in all things, and that we can trust Him to lead us through the challenges and changes of life.
Life Anecdote
For myself, 2021 was a year of change. The COVID-19 pandemic was in full-swing. My parent’s dog died on January 24th, 2021, while the cat died on April 3rd of that same year. I moved out to an apartment with a roommate, and it was rough, and I even had a short hospital stay due to lack of sleep on April 9, 2021. Although I moved back home temporarily in July 2021, I eventually moved out to a condo between April and July 2022. Sadly, my dad’s father passed on Christmas day of that year as well. After praying to God and working through these changes, my life improved significantly after this period, and I became Catholic in April 2022. The hospital stay was the realization that better sleep could lead to personal growth. Despite some challenges in 2021, things have gone smoothly since then. Now I have a science job, and am overcoming my social disability (autism) by getting better at reading people.​