Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
WASHINGTON (OSV News) — Former President Donald Trump selling branded Bibles should give Christians cause for concern, some Catholic scholars told OSV News. But one suggested humor may be the best response.

Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, recently announced plans to sell the $60 “God Bless the USA Bible,” in partnership with country singer Lee Greenwood. That Bible contains a King James Version translation — the modern iteration of which is primarily used by Protestants — as well as handwritten lyrics to Greenwood’s ballad “God Bless the USA,” and founding documents including the Constitution and Declaration of Independence.

The website for the branded Bible states it is “the only Bible endorsed by President Trump!”

“We must make America pray again,” Trump said in a video posted March 26 on Truth Social, his social media platform. In that video, Trump said, “religion and Christianity are the biggest things missing from this country.”

“I truly believe that we need to bring them back, and we have to bring them back fast. I think it’s one of the biggest problems we have,” he said.

The announcement was met with criticism on social media even among conservative or Trump-friendly commentators.

Conservative talk radio host Erick Erikson wrote critically about the Trump-branded Bibles in a post on Substack, arguing that “we do not need ‘more religion’ in America. We are overloaded with religion. We need more Jesus and that is a very different thing.”

“Jesus Christ is not transactional, and He does not want us to be transactional with each other but relational,” Erickson wrote, adding he is concerned Trump “is surrounded by a group of mainly prosperity gospel ministers” who do have a transactional relationship with Christianity.

Blatant merchandising​

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: DJWhalen

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,276,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
WASHINGTON (OSV News) — Former President Donald Trump selling branded Bibles should give Christians cause for concern, some Catholic scholars told OSV News. But one suggested humor may be the best response.

Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, recently announced plans to sell the $60 “God Bless the USA Bible,” in partnership with country singer Lee Greenwood. That Bible contains a King James Version translation — the modern iteration of which is primarily used by Protestants — as well as handwritten lyrics to Greenwood’s ballad “God Bless the USA,” and founding documents including the Constitution and Declaration of Independence.

The website for the branded Bible states it is “the only Bible endorsed by President Trump!”

“We must make America pray again,” Trump said in a video posted March 26 on Truth Social, his social media platform. In that video, Trump said, “religion and Christianity are the biggest things missing from this country.”

“I truly believe that we need to bring them back, and we have to bring them back fast. I think it’s one of the biggest problems we have,” he said.

One of the basics of classical rhetoric is the notion of ethos, that a person delivering the message is sincere and credible. Given that Trump has said he has no sin to be forgiven, and doesn't seem to understand much of anything about the Bible, I very much doubt he is truly concerned about the state of Christianity in the US, given his personal appropriation of Christianity looks decidedly lacking, even from a charitable perspective.

Upvote 0