Visit site
✟1,512,728.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

A very interesting read. Does it resonate for you? How might we, as church leaders, best respond?

• Informative
Reactions: PloverWing

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟70,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The article has a good thesis and likely explains some of the attendance issues, but I frequent churches in other nations and most of them are young and many of them work 6 days a week. Here is an informative article that suggests integrating work and church helps people have more job satisfaction. Not exactly the same thesis but one worth looking at. The Surprising Link between Church Attendance and Job Satisfaction

Some churches have poor engagement. I'd like to do a study on churches and their attendance based on how much participation is allowed in a service. I have not looked at what currently is out there, but I would guess that churches where people are given more opportunities to share or be involved have better attendance. It is extremely rare for any church to follow this scripture.

I Cor 14:25 NIV What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.

God bless you and your church efforts.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟207,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with this analysis. Our economy is collapsing, and young people are scrambling for a smaller and smaller amount of an ever-shrinking economic pie because they have no choice. I am one of them.

One of the ways that my church has pushed back against this is offering food to congregants to encourage them to come to church. If one of their meals are paid for in a week, it helps relieve the financial pressure that some of these young families are under.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟763,237.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You could extend this to volunteering associations in general. Churches are mostly run by volunteers. The mega churches might have the assets to pay a number of staff, but most churches have few paid staff. We've got three churches in our parish and as far as I know only three people are paid - a single priest, and two part time administrators (for lack of a better word). There is some paid auxiliary work eg. mowing the lawn (I think) but that's about it.

All the rest is done by volunteers, many of whom work.

The Sydney Morning Herald had this to say a few months ago.

“One of the main reasons people cite for not being able to volunteer anymore is that they need to work more,” she said. “Volunteering does cost money.”

At the same time charities are under more pressure. The demand on our local Saint Vincent de Paul conference increased by 23% last year over the previous year. But we didn't get 23% more volunteers or funding. Nothing like it.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0