Can I glorify God through writing secular fiction?

Nov 9, 2014
✟16,227.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All my life I have been a daydreamer constantly coming up with stories and being fascinated by the craftsmanship of storytelling. I find myself being more inspired by fictional characters that don't exist than real people most times. I don't know if this is true but I feel like God has given me a mind and a passion for crafting and telling stories and ever since I was a child I dreamt of being an author.

The stories I want to write are taking inspiration from classic fantasy like Tolkien, to more modern things like Dungeons & Dragons and even a lot of anime. There are two struggles I have with this:

1) Is it sinful to chose to write fiction that is not symbolic/allegorical to the Gospel? I don't feel like a Christian construction worker has to carve crosses on every brick in order for his work to be done well for the Lord. But I am struggling to figure out how to write my stories. Can a secular work written purely for entertainment be used to Glorify God or is that a waste of a talent? My preference would be to incorparate Biblical themes or truths into the story or characters but don't want it to be too obvious. I lean more towards Tolkien's style where his work was more symbolic of Christian values rather than Lewis' style which was more overtly analogy i.e. Aslan = Jesus.

2) I feel a lot of doubt and fear over doing this that this is a waste of time. My inner voice is telling me "There is no way God can use something like this. This is just your flesh making excuses to do what it wants. You would be better being a missionary and this is selfish. People are living in poverty but you want to spend time writing fairy tales instead."

What advice can you give me? God bless.

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟74,814.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If consuming and enjoying entertainment in the form of (non-Christian) music, fireworks, cabaret, theatre, poetry are permissible and beneficial for believers, which I think they are, then it is permissible for you write and provide secular fiction to others.

However, if you have the talent and passion of writing literature, why not also write stuff that at least encourages or nudges readers to think about the great questions & answers in life, or to behave responsibly or God-like? It's an extra creative challenge to write literature that appeals to non-Christian readers but still tries to plant spiritual seeds in the reader.

The case of Francine Rivers comes to mind ...

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟132,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All my life I have been a daydreamer constantly coming up with stories and being fascinated by the craftsmanship of storytelling. I find myself being more inspired by fictional characters that don't exist than real people most times. I don't know if this is true but I feel like God has given me a mind and a passion for crafting and telling stories and ever since I was a child I dreamt of being an author.

The stories I want to write are taking inspiration from classic fantasy like Tolkien, to more modern things like Dungeons & Dragons and even a lot of anime. There are two struggles I have with this:

1) Is it sinful to chose to write fiction that is not symbolic/allegorical to the Gospel? I don't feel like a Christian construction worker has to carve crosses on every brick in order for his work to be done well for the Lord. But I am struggling to figure out how to write my stories. Can a secular work written purely for entertainment be used to Glorify God or is that a waste of a talent? My preference would be to incorparate Biblical themes or truths into the story or characters but don't want it to be too obvious. I lean more towards Tolkien's style where his work was more symbolic of Christian values rather than Lewis' style which was more overtly analogy i.e. Aslan = Jesus.

2) I feel a lot of doubt and fear over doing this that this is a waste of time. My inner voice is telling me "There is no way God can use something like this. This is just your flesh making excuses to do what it wants. You would be better being a missionary and this is selfish. People are living in poverty but you want to spend time writing fairy tales instead."

What advice can you give me? God bless.
Yes, you can promote God while writing secular fiction. My sci-fi plot set on an alien planet named Xanadu (will never publish this, just a fun project on hold since early 2024) discusses ethics. :)

The meeting at the Mindekowan Embassy in New Spork discussed the development of stealth technology, the legal implications of stealth paints, and how the Mindekowans were a peaceful, neutral nation which did not want to develop technology for war. Mindekowan Ambassador, Maber Invo had this to say:

“Utilizing Mindekowan ingenuity to develop weapons is against our code of ethics. We are a peaceful nation based upon the native customs of our land, passed down from dozens of generations, and codified into the Mindekowan Standardized Regulatory Directive SRD §2.42. The only way around this law is that you use the XT-0 aircraft for research or reconnaissance purposes only, and never use it in combat, unless your nation gets attacked first. The manufacturer has agreed to make thirty XT-0 aircraft for you, the first delivered by 802|1|1, and have a test flight by the middle of next year. Mursanian military and Stoneland military are permitted 15 planes each. Reverse engineering of the XT-0 plane is allowed, but only after the war is over. For one, we Mindekowans will not involve ourselves in this Global Conflict besides developing the XT Series Zero aircraft”.

- Ambassador Maber Invo of the Mindekowan Sovereign Nation, 800|9|12

Ambassador Invo was right. If Mindekowa developed this experimental aircraft, it must only be used for research purposes, with one caveat, as the plane can be used in combat if the enemy attacks first.

Mindekowan Standardized Regulatory Directory (SRD) Chapter 2: Protection of Xa'na Life

Section 2.1: Prohibition of Murder and Unlawful Taking of Life

2.1.1 Definition of Murder: Murder is the unlawful intentional taking of another's life through direct or indirect means.

2.1.2 Exceptions: This provision does not apply to actions taken in lawful self-defense, defense of others, or during the course of lawful warfare.

2.1.3 Penalties: Murder is punishable by imprisonment for life without parole.

Section 2.2: Regulation of Abortions

2.2.1 General Provisions: Abortions are prohibited, except in cases where the following conditions are met:
a) The life or health of the mother is at risk.
b) The pregnancy resulted from rape or incest.

2.2.2 Reporting and Record Keeping: All abortions must be reported to the appropriate health authorities and recorded in their database, with proper documentation and justification, and must not take place inside of the Mindekowan capital city.

2.2.3 Penalties: Unlawful abortions are punishable by imprisonment for a term of not less than five years, and fines up to the equivalent of 10,000 Mindekowan Currency Units.

Section 2.3: Prohibition of Euthanasia

2.3.1 Definition and Scope: Euthanasia, or mercy killing, is the intentional taking of a life to alleviate extreme suffering. Euthanasia is strictly prohibited under all circumstances in accordance with this section.

2.3.2 Life-Sustaining Treatments: Patients may choose to discontinue life-sustaining treatments if they no longer wish to receive such care, as long as they have the capacity to make informed decisions. Healthcare providers must respect their wishes and facilitate the withdrawal of life-sustaining treatments (unplug) without causing intentional harm or contributing to the patient's demise.

2.3.3 Palliative Care: Patients with incurable and painful conditions will receive comprehensive palliative care to alleviate their suffering and improve their quality of life. Healthcare providers must prioritize pain management, symptom relief, psychological support, and spiritual care for these patients.

2.3.4 Penalties: Any attempt to intentionally end another person's life, including euthanasia, is punishable by imprisonment for a term of not less than ten years and fines up to the equivalent of 50,000 Mindekowan Currency Units.

This amendment to Section 2.3 prohibits euthanasia in all circumstances and emphasizes the importance of providing comprehensive palliative care for patients with incurable and painful conditions, while respecting their autonomy regarding life-sustaining treatments.

Section 2.4: Technology and Transport Safety Regulations

2.4.1 Prohibition of Weapons Production: The production, sale, or transfer of weapons is strictly prohibited, with penalties including imprisonment for a term of not less than ten years and fines up to the equivalent of 100,000 Mindekowan Currency Units, 33% of total assets or 50% of yearly income, whichever is higher.

2.4.2 Technology Safeguards: The production and use of technologies that pose a major risk to users, such as those with the potential for widespread harm or destruction, must undergo rigorous safety testing and regulatory approval before being permitted for public use.

2.4.3 Transport Safety Regulations: All forms of transport must comply with stringent safety regulations to minimize risks to passengers, pedestrians, and the environment. Non-compliance may result in fines or penalties, including suspension of operating licenses.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟340,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1) Is it sinful to chose to write fiction that is not symbolic/allegorical to the Gospel?

Not at all. The world would be a better, richer place if more Christians wrote fiction that was not superficial. Make the best art that you can. Write stories that tell the truth about human life and the choices people make. That truth-telling will bring glory to God.

(Just to make sure I'm not misunderstood: I don't mean that you have to write "realistic" fiction. SF/fantasy literature can be excellent for looking at human experience. You've already mentioned Tolkien as a classic example.)

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0