UK
✟63,842.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
And that is why anyone with any sense can see that women are not to ordained as priests. Women can not be a father. Jesus told the apostles that they were to be fathers to the believers, women can't do that.

I disagree.

There have been many examples of wonderful spiritual mothers in the church from the most ancient of days.
The desert mothers of Sinai and the Egyptian desert.

I do not like the term 'father' because it inflates the pride and self worth of Anglican ministers.
Humility, real humility, is a rare trait in our clergy today. Also I would say it is offensive to insist on 'father'.

Now, if someone wishes to call them 'father', that is fine.
The chaplain at my college would be called 'father', 'father matthew', and 'matthew', by differing persons. He wouldn't stop to correct people. That is not why he was there. Making Christ visible and possible is what the priest/vicar/minister is ordained for.

It all gets a bit obsessive and borders on being an enthusiasts' hobby when people get hung up about ritual and archaic observances.

Just to add:
with my vicar/priest, when I speak to him, it is 'father'. When I speak about him, it is by his first name, or 'the vicar' or 'reverend n'.

Personal taste I guess.
I just don't have a lot of enthusiasm for R.C. practices in the Anglican church.

Upvote 0