Blood on a steak when it was not supposed to be there… I wiped it away, so was it OK and I consumed none of the blood?

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
Germany's sin city - Munich
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See Genesis 9:3-4. I don’t think red meat is wrong - I was dining in a restaurant -, in fact, I like it a lot, but I do see blood as problematic, since biblically eating blood is forbidden. But I did eat it anyways AFTER praying and wiping away all marks of blood (I was in a restaurant). I do pray I made the right choice and the meat was undefiled (I believe it was, but am only 99 %ly sure, not 100, hence why I ask). God bless☺️

• Haha
Reactions: FredVB

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Blood of meat or poultry can have germs which could make a human sick. So, in general, it is advised that you fully cook meat and poultry.

If the juice of meat or poultry is red, this can mean it is not cooked enough. So, for health reasons it would not be enough to just wipe away any red liquid.

And I understand God means not to drink blood for a purpose of practicing idolatry or in order to gain characteristics of some animal or human.

Jesus says to drink His blood, in order to have His life.

Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If the juice of meat or poultry is red, this can mean it is not cooked enough. So, for health reasons it would not be enough to just wipe away any red liquid.
I did some research brother, and this was not blood.

• Informative
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,806.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I did some research brother, and this was not blood.
Yes, it was not blood.

However, what he probably meant is that, if you see a red liquid (myoglobin), it means the meat is not cooked properly.

Its not so dangerous with beef, because beef does not contain parasites like pork or chicken do. But it can have bacteria on its surface, being contaminated on tables or during processing. Thats why beef should be properly cooked at least on its surface.

Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it was not blood.

However, what he probably meant is that, if you see a red liquid (myoglobin), it means the meat is not cooked properly.

Its not so dangerous with beef, because beef does not contain parasites like pork or chicken do. But it can have bacteria on its surface, being contaminated on tables or during processing. Thats why beef should be properly cooked at least on its surface.
on its surface it was, but could have been moe in the center

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,418.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Our food standards (in the UK and most European countries) ensure that raw meat will be free from parasites, so here it is fine to eat steak rare. I have heard that American food standards are not so high.

But as to the question about blood; It is not blood, so any of the Biblical references are irrelevant. Go ahead, overcooked steak is tougher!

• Informative
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟164,418.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But could it have come from blood.
Well, yes. Blood is thick and clots in air. Myoglobin is thin and does not clot. Cast your mind back.

Any blood on the meat in a restaurant would be human. Perhaps there was a knife related accident in the kitchen but if so I don't think the meat would then have been cooked and served.

Reactions: LW97Nils
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟197,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As a professional cook/baker who attended culinary school, this thread and the things people are saying about “properly cooked meat” is giving me an aneurism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As a professional cook/baker who attended culinary school, this thread and the things people are saying about “properly cooked meat” is giving me an aneurism.
…which, if ruptured, would be blood

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟358,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Imo, the meaning of the scripture is you don't intend to eat blood. We all have had a touch of it. It wasn't planned. It's impossible to never ever have it in our mouth. Have you ever cut your finger and stuck it in your mouth to stop the bleeding?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I saw the raw meat, before the chef put it in the oven, there was zero blood on it.
But what about blood inside the meat? Could the red liquid with myoglobin be from blood inside the meat, and therefore have pathogens in that red liquid which came from that blood?

I have had meat and poultry with red juices which have turned dark with further cooking. And there might have been some sort of clumping of dark material in the further cooked juices of meat or poultry.

So, I'm saying maybe your meat needed to be cooked more. But in case you wiped away human blood of some accident, I don't think wiping would remove all of it. But how much difference that would make for your health or to God, I don't know.

But if you stay healthy, it is likely no pathogens were in whatever you ate. But hepatitis virus can take a while to get a person sick.

And in case you are concerned with how God sees what you ate, God can handle this with you.

Worrying about it, in any case, can be something He does not want. Feeding on worry is not good for our spiritual and emotional diet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟316,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Could the red liquid with myoglobin be from blood inside the meat, and therefore have pathogens in that red liquid which came from that blood?
It isn’t blood. It looks like it, though. Any blood would have congealed. There will be some proteins from the blood that was there but not much at all.

Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But what about blood inside the meat? Could the red liquid with myoglobin be from blood inside the meat, and therefore have pathogens in that red liquid which came from that blood?

I have had meat and poultry with red juices which have turned dark with further cooking. And there might have been some sort of clumping of dark material in the further cooked juices of meat or poultry.

So, I'm saying maybe your meat needed to be cooked more. But in case you wiped away human blood of some accident, I don't think wiping would remove all of it. But how much difference that would make for your health or to God, I don't know.

But if you stay healthy, it is likely no pathogens were in whatever you ate. But hepatitis virus can take a while to get a person sick.

And in case you are concerned with how God sees what you ate, God can handle this with you.

Worrying about it, in any case, can be something He does not want. Feeding on worry is not good for our spiritual and emotional diet.
Thanks for your testimony.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟734,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
See Genesis 9:3-4. I don’t think red meat is wrong - I was dining in a restaurant -, in fact, I like it a lot, but I do see blood as problematic, since biblically eating blood is forbidden. But I did eat it anyways AFTER praying and wiping away all marks of blood (I was in a restaurant). I do pray I made the right choice and the meat was undefiled (I believe it was, but am only 99 %ly sure, not 100, hence why I ask). God bless☺️

First of all, it's not blood. When cattle are slaughtered they are drained of their blood before being butchered or sold to butchering shops. The steak you ordered was 100% free of blood. What a lot of people think is "blood" is myoglobin and water. Myoglobin is a protein found in muscle tissue that gives the muscles in many animals that red color, it's why red meat is red meat. When you buy meat at the supermarket the red juices surrounding the raw meat is a mix of myoglobin and water which has come out of the meat. When you cook a steak more can come out during the cooking process.

It's not blood.

Second of all, Christianity doesn't have dietary restrictions like this. In Christianity these dietary restrictions are understood to have been part of God's covenant with the Jewish people, so outside of Judaism there's no restrictions on what you can eat except that which is dictated by your own conscience (Romans 14:1-10, Colossians 2:16-19).

The Apostolic Council of Jerusalem described in the 15th chapter of the Acts of the Apostles provided certain measures to help facilitate the welcoming of Gentile converts to Christianity that focused on two things: Providing counsel to refrain from certain Pagan practices and to reject the claims by some that Gentiles must convert to Judaism in order to be Christians. One should take note that the Apostolic Council forbids the eating of food sacrificed to idols; and later on Paul writes that whether one eats such food or not is a matter of conscience and personal discernment (1 Corinthians 10:25-33)

You could eat black pudding and it would be fine--as long as you do so with a free and clear conscience before God. And anyone who would claim to speak for God in judging or condemning you for it would be the one sinning.

What you eat and drink is between you and God and is nobody else's business.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟197,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In butchered and processed meat, there is almost no blood. At all. It’s fat, water, and myoglobin.
Which is normal.
Wiping meat does nothing to “clean” it, only heating it does that consistently. And meat should have red juice (beef, pork), or light pink sometimes yellow juice (poultry). If the juices are clear, especially for beef, you have overcooked it to oblivion and then several miles behind even that.

Upvote 0