Los Angeles Area
✟835,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The number of babies born in the United States fell by 2 percent in 2023, according to provisional data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The drop signals a return to the downward trend in birthrates seen before the pandemic, with numbers hitting historic lows.

The decline follows relative stability in the birthrate from 2021 to 2022 after a modest 1 percent rise from 2020 to 2021, when the coronavirus pandemic raged.

Hamilton also noted that the data show the fourth consecutive increase in the yearly rate of caesarean deliveries since 2020. [to 32.4%] That is a worrying trend because of the high risk of complications associated with caesarean versus vaginal births.

Julia Strasser, director of the Jacobs Institute of Women’s Health and an assistant research professor of health policy and management at George Washington University, said that although experts have not pinpointed a single cause for this decline, factors such as student loan debt, high housing costs and economic uncertainty are thought to influence younger generations’ decisions to delay or forgo having children.

Strasser added that recent court rulings on birth control, fertility treatments and women’s reproductive health also could have an effect on birthrates.

--

From the CDC link, the total fertility rate was 1.62 births per woman. Replacement rate would be a little over 2 per woman.

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,200,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Strasser added that recent court rulings on birth control, fertility treatments and women’s reproductive health also could have an effect on birthrates.
Gotta get that domestic supply of infants one way or the other.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟376,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A declining birthrate is an argument for immigration reform. I'm OK with improved border security, but we need people willing to work. Guest workers should be fully documented, treated humanely, and paid fairly. Sure, they'll send money to families in their home countries, but they'll also spend money here. With a shrinking pool of native-born workers, immigrants will be necessary to keep our economy growing. This should be common sense.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,806.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
With a shrinking pool of native-born workers, immigrants will be necessary to keep our economy growing. This should be common sense.
Automation, robotization, AI and generally higher productivity because of technological advances is another way - less people can do exponentially more work.

There are also other, not so nice ways - for example the cancellation of benefits and of the social security ("without the state inverventions" like few centuries ago - i.e. a truly free market; who would want to have an easier life will naturally need to have children, like its in all similar self-sustained communities - Amish, for example).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟495,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Automation, robotization, AI and generally higher productivity because of technological advances is another way - less people can do exponentially more work.

There are also other, not so nice ways - for example the cancellation of benefits and of the social security ("without the state inverventions" like few centuries ago - i.e. a truly free market; who would want to have an easier life will naturally need to have children, like its in all similar self-sustained communities - Amish, for example).
I'm sorry, do I understand you right? You want to kick people off the dole so they instead have children as a means of livelihood?

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟846,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's sad these young folks who want children are holding off because they know it's financially unwise. But it's also really impressive they are that controlled and prudent. Who are these freaks with virtue so young? I am often impressed and hopeful about these younger generations. They are self-aware and concerned about the plight of others in ways that just weren't coming through for us on our MTV. Lol. I hate they'll probably have to work so much harder just get by.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As expensive as it is to raise kids, that’s not really the main reason people wait. If cost were the main impediment, then affluent people would have more kids than poor people, but that’s not what happens. Anywhere. In virtually every country, regardless of the largesse of their welfare system, it’s the poor who have more kids.

The primary reason people wait seems to be opportunity cost. When people, but especially women, have more education and greater career prospects, they put off having kids because child rearing is too much of a burden during the formative years of their career. Conversely, when people don’t have as much to lose by skipping work in their 20’s, they have more kids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟147,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It's sad these young folks who want children are holding off because they know it's financially unwise. But it's also really impressive they are that controlled and prudent. Who are these freaks with virtue so young? I am often impressed and hopeful about these younger generations. They are self-aware and concerned about the plight of others in ways that just weren't coming through for us on our MTV. Lol. I hate they'll probably have to work so much harder just get by.
Capitalism is never “pretty”; and downright ugly sometimes.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟376,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

AI is in its childhood. As of now, we still need manual labor. Which our native born population eschews.

BTW, try running for office on a platform of ending SS, or Medicare/Medicaid. See you how far you get.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,213,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's a couple different issues that are intersecting on this one.

And they raise certain questions about the sustainability of certain programs.

Some things that don't gel together well:
"we need to make sure we don't make too many people, too many people is one of the culprits of ecological destruction"
and
"we need to have more people, because we need laborers and more people chipping into social welfare programs to take care of the aging population that can no longer work" (so we don't end up in the same precarious situation countries like Japan and China)

The metric the OECD refers to as "the old age dependency ratio" is one that needs to be evaluated and monitored.

A) because the environment can't sustain the model of "we just need more people working in order to pay for this other group of people"

B) even if the ecological environment could sustain it, the economic environment could not. "Working/Jobs" is contingent upon satisfying a need for a good or service that people want. It's not like we can say "okay, great, we've got 3 million new able bodies, let's go pick a job off the magic job tree so they can start working and paying into social security"

To me, one of the most sensible reforms would be to adjust our social security programs so that they're means based and needs based. People will need reevaluate how they think about that program. It's in the name "social security" meaning it's to help ensure the social security of the elderly and disabled population for whom that could be a challenge.

There's no reason why a person in their upper 60's who's sitting on $800k worth of real-estate and a 7-figure bank account (and possibly pensions and stocks) needs to be getting a check from the government for $2500 a month.

Typically, the boomer era people you talk to seem to bristle at the idea, and usually respond with "no, I paid into it, that's MY money"...and also responding with the types of condescending things like "well, in my day, by the time I was their age, I was already married with a house and 2 cars" (while conveniently ignoring the fact that they were able to do that in a time where the median home price was only 2-3 times the median income...unlike now where it can be 4-7x depending on what state you live in, and that they benefitted greatly off of the post WW2 economic boom)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟440,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A declining birthrate is an argument for immigration reform. I'm OK with improved border security, but we need people willing to work. Guest workers should be fully documented, treated humanely, and paid fairly. Sure, they'll send money to families in their home countries, but they'll also spend money here. With a shrinking pool of native-born workers, immigrants will be necessary to keep our economy growing.

Or you know....pay citizens willing to work a fair living. Then they can afford to have children.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Or you know....pay citizens willing to work a fair living. Then they can afford to have children.
Problem is, that doesn't actually get people to make more babies. As I pointed out, it actually does the opposite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟376,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
To me, one of the most sensible reforms would be to adjust our social security programs so that they're means based and needs based. People will need reevaluate how they think about that program. It's in the name "social security" meaning it's to help ensure the social security of the elderly and disabled population for whom that could be a challenge.

There's no reason why a person in their upper 60's who's sitting on $800k worth of real-estate and a 7-figure bank account (and possibly pensions and stocks) needs to be getting a check from the government for $2500 a month.
Medicaid is means-based. It’s funded jointly by the states and the federal government and there is some variation in benefits in each state’s program.

Re. SS: There is a maximum benefit no matter how much the recipient has paid in over the years. And up to 85% of SS payouts are taxable, and must be declared on each year’s 1040.

• Agree
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟903,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
A declining birthrate is an argument for immigration reform. I'm OK with improved border security, but we need people willing to work. Guest workers should be fully documented, treated humanely, and paid fairly. Sure, they'll send money to families in their home countries, but they'll also spend money here. With a shrinking pool of native-born workers, immigrants will be necessary to keep our economy growing. This should be common sense.
If they come here legaly and are vetted I have NO prblem with them none.

• Winner
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,213,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Medicaid is means-based. It’s funded jointly by the states and the federal government and there is some variation in benefits in each state’s program.

Re. SS: There is a maximum benefit no matter how much the recipient has paid in over the years. And up to 85% of SS payouts are taxable, and must be declared on each year’s 1040.
Right, but my point was that in order for the social security program to remain solvent (and adequately funded for people who actually need it), we're going to need to have some serious conversations about specifically who does and doesn't need it in order to remain "socially secure"

If someone owns 2 homes, has a nice bank account, and is in their 70's, they don't need to be getting a government check to be "secure", it should be reserved for people who actually need it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟440,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As expensive as it is to raise kids, that’s not really the main reason people wait. If cost were the main impediment, then affluent people would have more kids than poor people

Is this the reasoning you're referring to?

Problem is, that doesn't actually get people to make more babies. As I pointed out, it actually does the opposite.

Just want to check before I start destroying that post.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,100,527.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am amazed (and not in a good way) at how expensive necessities are now.

I live in one of the least expensive areas of the country.

Seen around town: Daycare for one four year old-$250 per week. Private swim lessons at the local fitness center-$35 per half hour. Parochial school tuition-$6600 per year. Babysitter (for a night out) $15 an hour.

Is it any wonder that families are smaller? Most young families require two incomes, but who could afford $500 a week for daycare for two?

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0