Martinez
✟912,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reading Suggestions about Fiction and non- fiction.
Personally I would start with Tolkien, De Maistre, C.S. Lewis, Burke, Chateaubriand....
Other titles and ideas ?
I recommend
The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life
By Hannah Whitehall Smith

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟110,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
G.K. Chesterton is another classic Christian author.

If you like historical fiction, try Paul Maier and The Flames of Rome or A Skeleton in God's Closet. Maier was a professor of ancient history, so he's better at history than prose, but they're still a fun read.

However, though I fit the conservative label, I don't always stick strictly to reading works only by those I agree with. For example, my favorite Christian novel of all time is The Maiden's Bequest by George MacDonald. MacDonald's ideas were odd, and it comes out in his other books, but in The Maiden's Bequest he restrains himself and wrote a masterpiece ... or at least I think so.

Then, two other books with strong spiritual themes that wrestle with Christianity are Ahab's Wife and The Poisonwood Bible. Having had struggles of my own, I could really relate to those books. SPOILER ALERT: don't expect a conventional ending. Regardless of that, I enjoyed them. It helped me better articulate why I didn't make the same choices as the characters in those books.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟35,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Reading Suggestions about Fiction and non- fiction.
Personally I would start with Tolkien, De Maistre, C.S. Lewis, Burke, Chateaubriand....
Other titles and ideas ?
In no particular order

GK Chesterton
Peter Kreeft
Boethius
Plato
Dante
Jane Austen
St. Augustine
St. Thomas Aquinas
Russel Kirk
Richard Weaver

You are one of two people I've ever heard mention De Maistre :)

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0