Being a Christian, how should we see our ancestors and genetics?

Wil72

Jun 20, 2022
Lafayette
✟16,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm asking, because there really is no mention of this topic specifically that I can find Biblically. Maybe I missed it. How should we view our ancestors and the people we came from? If we're Scottish, Italian, or Chinese, or what have you, should we think about the behaviours and traditions and customs of those people are should we ignore them entirely and just live as an adopted in Christ's family now? Does G-d look at the people we come from as our tribe as in OT days? Is it a sin to admire and respect the folks we come from? Just looking for insight on this.

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible mentions Geneology several times. It was very important to the Hebrews that they know where they came from and what tribe they belonged to. Admiring an ancestor isn't bad. When you get to the point of creating an altar dedicated to them, you have to take another look at it and reevaluate what you're doing. For instance, one of my ancestors was "Christian Sam" Morris. He was a Quaker who rebelled against his denomination's strict beliefs of pacifism to fight in the Revolutionary War. He became a bodyguard for George Washington and even crossed the Delaware with him which inspired that famous painting. I admire him for his courage and choosing to do what was right even though it, essentially, excommunicated him from his church, though he still wore the clothes and still attended. I don't however, pray that I have the same strength and courage he did.

Reactions: Wil72
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟846,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm asking, because there really is no mention of this topic specifically that I can find Biblically. Maybe I missed it. How should we view our ancestors and the people we came from? If we're Scottish, Italian, or Chinese, or what have you, should we think about the behaviours and traditions and customs of those people are should we ignore them entirely and just live as an adopted in Christ's family now? Does G-d look at the people we come from as our tribe as in OT days? Is it a sin to admire and respect the folks we come from? Just looking for insight on this.

In Christ we are a new creation. I think our most important ancestors are our spiritual ancestors. Or, as Jesus said, our family are those who do the will of God.

I don't mean to say we can't celebrate and enjoy the various traditions and customs of those who preceded us. But their import is secondary and will pass away with the passing things of this age. In Christ, our distinctions disappear as we are one humanity created in the image of God, created through Christ and for Christ

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟392,179.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How should we view our ancestors and the people we came from?

What do you know about them, were they Christian?

Being prod og ones heritage is ok, so long as that heritage doesn't take one away from Jesus.

Reactions: Wil72
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟124,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In Christ we are a new creation. I think our most important ancestors are our spiritual ancestors. Or, as Jesus said, our family are those who do the will of God.

I don't mean to say we can't celebrate and enjoy the various traditions and customs of those who preceded us. But their import is secondary and will pass away with the passing things of this age. In Christ, our distinctions disappear as we are one humanity created in the image of God, created through Christ and for Christ
Yes, I agree with this.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0