At what point in time does Revelations 4 & 5 take place?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟922,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Reddogs, appreciate your response as you addressed my question with bible texts in support. However, I was surprised you believe it points to a specific point in time, "the great white throne judgement at the end of Christ millennial reign in heavy. Whereas, corporate Adventist teach, "This varied setting suggests that the vision of chs. 4 and 5 is not to be thought of as representing any one specific occurrence in heaven, but as a timeless, highly symbolic portrayal of the victory of Christ and the resulting vindication of God." (SDA BIBLE COMMENTARY, VOL. 7, PG. 774)

That is not to say as individuals each of us are not entitled to our own personal convictions.
1. Rev 4 and 5 do not point to the Rev 20 judgment
2. Rev 20 judgment is not in heaven
I believe we are not saved by understanding "absolute truth", but through faith. Praise God.
John 8 "you shall know the TRUTH and the Truth shall set you free"
John 14 "I AM the Way the Truth and the LIFE"
John 17:17 "Sanctify them in Thy Truth -- Thy WORD is Truth"

Satan obscures the gospel with false teaching, the Holy Spirit "leads into all Truth" John 16
2 Thess 2:5-11 at the end of time many perish "because they did not receive a LOVE of the truth"
For example, one consistent behavior that occurs throughout the book of Daniel is, that each prophecy has a beginning point and an ending point in time, and the events within each prophecy occur in the order in which they are given.
Dan 8 gives no start point.
Not all prophecies in Daniel or Revelation are chronological in the sense that the first prophecy completes before the second or that the second prophecy listed only starts later etc.
The importance of this rule cannot be overstated. Draw a time line on a big sheet of paper and place all of the events specified in Daniel and Revelation on this time line. If you attempt this, you will immediately confront the question of chronological order.
I suppose then we would all agree that what you don't see is a single progression from one prophecy to the next along that timeline.
Looking backwards from our day, world history proves there is chronological order in the prophecies of Daniel and Revelation.
There is fill-in-the-blank historic information added with more detail in each prophecy so for example Greece is in Dan 2, and in Dan 7 and in Dan 8 timelines.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟922,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Bob, please walk me through Dan. 7, texts in support of your statment.
Dan 7

sequence of four empires in vs 1-7
11th horn detail in vs 8,11, 20,21, 24-27 persecuting for 1260 years,
Courtroom in vs 9-10 , 13-14, 22, 26 but only removes little horn at some point after 1260 years but before 2nd coming in vs 27

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Dan 7

sequence of four empires in vs 1-7
11th horn detail in vs 8,11, 20,21, 24-27 persecuting for 1260 years,
Courtroom in vs 9-10 , 13-14, 22, 26 but only removes little horn at some point after 1260 years but before 2nd coming in vs 27
Interesting that the parable of the 10 virgins so aptly points out the IJ. Uriah Smith gives a better explanation of that parable than Ellen White in his article Parable of the Ten Virgins. I've never seen a better explanation of it.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1. Rev 4 and 5 do not point to the Rev 20 judgment
2. Rev 20 judgment is not in heaven

Satan obscures the gospel with false teaching, the Holy Spirit "leads into all Truth" John 16
2 Thess 2:5-11 at the end of time many perish "because they did not receive a LOVE of the truth"

Not all prophecies in Daniel or Revelation are chronological in the sense that the first prophecy completes before the second or that the second prophecy listed only starts later etc.

I suppose then we would all agree that what you don't see is a single progression from one prophecy to the next along that timeline.

There is fill-in-the-blank historic information added with more detail in each prophecy so for example Greece is in Dan 2, and in Dan 7 and in Dan 8 timelines.
I disagree with what I emphasized. Verses 11 and 12 and take place in heaven.

Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

The dead standing before Christ can only refer to the IJ. They cannot refer to the succeding verses in which the wicked receive their wages after the millennium.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟922,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The dead standing before Christ can only refer to the IJ. They cannot refer to the succeding verses in which the wicked receive their wages after the millennium.
Not possible since Dan 7 tells us that the second coming in Rev 19 can't happen until the IJ has ended.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not possible since Dan 7 tells us that the second coming in Rev 19 can't happen until the IJ has ended.
That's why I quoted only verses 11 and 12. Those two verses can't apply to the final judgment. but the succeeding verses only apply to it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟922,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's why I quoted only verses 11 and 12. Those two verses can't apply to the final judgment. but the succeeding verses only apply to it.
In vs 4-6 we see the "first resurrection" which happens at the Rev 19 event - and marks the start of the 1000 years, and can only happen at the end of the IJ as per Dan 7.

4 Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their foreheads and on their hands; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and will reign with Him for a thousand years.​

"the rest of the dead did not come to life " until after the 1000 years.

The only point in Rev 20 where we see "the rest of the dead" come to life is in vs 11-12.

11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds.​

Phil 2 seems to show them as "alive" at that point as well

9 For this reason also God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.​
Jude depicts them as alive at that point as well
Jude 1:
14 It was also about these people that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, “Behold, the Lord has come with many thousands of His holy ones, 15 to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.”​

Executive judgment is what we see in Rev 20 - because without the gospel anyone judged by deeds is always lost. There is no gospel to save those in the 2nd resurrection.

Reactions: Gary K
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟922,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Interesting that the parable of the 10 virgins so aptly points out the IJ. Uriah Smith gives a better explanation of that parable than Ellen White in his article Parable of the Ten Virgins. I've never seen a better explanation of it.
The Ten Virgins await the bridegroom - and the issue is that some do not have the Holy Spirit while others do.

Rom 2:4-16 shows how the IJ process actually works

Reactions: Gary K
Upvote 0

Tigger Boy

Jun 12, 2023
Chapin, SC
✟19,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

By your response I understanding you to say, that through absolute truth, one is saved.
Am I understanding you correctly? All texts you post point out that in Christ truth exist and is beneficial for understanding God correctly, so that we can live our lives in a way that brings happiness to us, and glory to God. But like Eph. 2:8, the bible clearly teaches one is saved by grace (god's gift) through faith(our response to His gift)

You say Dan. 8 has no starting point. Does the prophecy not start out with the ram, Medo-Persia/538 B.C., followed by the goat (Greece)?

For your clarification, fulfilled prophecy proves the events within, "each individual prophecy" are chronological, not the various prophecies. Do you understand the difference?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger Boy

Jun 12, 2023
Chapin, SC
✟19,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Dan 7 shows us the heavenly courtroom and shows that it takes place at a time after the rise of the 11th horn of Dan 7, after the persecution of the saints and before the 2nd coming.

Dan 8 tells us that the Dan 7 courtroom event started in 1844.
Bob, In this post I'm going to expand on your insights because thus far in this thread I believe you are closer to understanding the timing of Rev. 4&5. than others. First let me say, it is my understanding that this prophecy begins in Rev.4:1 and continues in chronological order thr., 6:17. This court room scene/event, took place at a specific point in time, in heaven, in the past, which prophecy clearly reveals, when you understand the importance of chronology, which is a new progressive revelation which earlier expositors were unaware.

In Rev. 4 & 5 no mention of timing is given. However, that is not a problem when we understand that no one single prophecy is a stand alone. Meaning it is just one peace of the puzzle. We need all the pieces to see the completed picture the puzzle presents. With this thought in mind, Bob and I, and many other students of prophecy recognize, that the court room scene in (Dan.7:9,10) is the same scene/event that was given to John centuries latter in (Rev. 4&5). However, in Dan. 7, the timing is revealed.

This is how the hermeneutic of chronology pinpoints the time:
Dan. 7:8, Daniel sees another horn rising amongst ten horns. (students of prophecy have named it the, Little horn power, the 11 horn, whatever, but all the specification add up to it being the Papacy). The next chronological event is the court room scene/event. So the chronological order thus far in the prophecy is this: Rise of the lion, (Babylon), followed by the bear(Medo-Persia) followed by the Leopard(Greece) followed by the Monster beast, 4th,(Rome) followed by the ten horns, (tribal nations which broke up Rome) followed by the Little Horn/Papacy. followed by the "court room event".

Now we go to vss. 25,26, here an angle answers some of Daniel's previous question regarding the 4th beast, and the horns that came up. Vs.25 speaking of the Papacy says: "... and they [the saints] shall be given into his [papacy's] hand until a time and times and the dividing of time. [1260 years] Insertions mine. Do not overlook the word "UNTIL". It is a preposition, meaning, up to (the point in time of the event mentioned) The event of which "until" is attached is the 1260 years of persecutions the saints endured under the papacy's supreme rule, 538-1798.

Vs. 26, But the judgment [decision of the heavenly court] shall sit,[carried out] and they[God's servants on earth] shall take away his [papacy's] dominion...

Naturally, human beings cannot see what is taking place in Heaven, so God has linked events in Heaven with events on Earth. The “Heaven-Earth Link-age Law.” When prophetic events transpire on Earth, “linked events” occur in Heaven. For example, when the 1,260 years allotted to the papacy comes to an end, the courtroom scene described in verses 9 and 10 will occur in Heaven. We know this because the Father has issue a restraining order against the papacy. As a result, the power of the Roman Catholic Church was abruptly end. The church losted control over the nations of Europe. The pope was captured and exiled to France in February 1798. This event on Earth is linked to the restraining order the Father issued in Heaven.

Therefore, by combining more details from prophecy coverings the same event, by understanding the importance of chronology, and by confirming this chronology with recorded historical records we are able to pinpoint the timing of Rev. 4&5 as 1798.

So, Bob, I will have to disagree with you in that the court room event of Dan. 7, started in 1844. Here is why:
According to the chronology of prophecy 4:1-6:17, After Jesus receives the book sealed with seven seals, chapter 6, begins the sequence of Christ opening the seals. Contrary to what early expositors thought (expositors centuries before William Miller) although he excepted their interpretation of the seals. They believed the seals covered the history of the christian church. Adventist still promote this teaching.
However, I believe progressive revelation has revealed even more amazing revelations about Jesus. And isn't that what the book of Revelation is intended to do? Consider the following insights:

"The seven seals represent a seven step process that will, at the end of the 1,000 years, reveal everything about the love and full identity of Jesus Christ. The Father has ordained that everyone in the universe should know that Jesus Christ is Almighty God, just like Himself. Jesus is made of the same eternal substance as the Father and He has the same powers and prerogatives as the Father. Jesus is a separate, distinct, co-eternal member of the Godhead. Yet, Jesus was willing to lay aside His powers and prerogatives and surrender Himself to the will of the Father in order to save mankind. The humility of Jesus is also seen in the Father. After Jesus received the book sealed with seven seals, the Father took “a back seat.” The Father gave Jesus sovereign authority and promoted Him to the position of High Priest, to cleanse the heavenly sanctuary of sin, so that the drama of sin and the exoneration of God’s government of love could be brought to a successful conclusion. Jesus still continues to carry this enormous responsibility today.
The seven seals can be compared to seven political campaigns in the sense that the purpose of a political campaign is the exposure of a candidate with his or her ideas on “the way government should run.” The purpose of the seven seals is a seven- step exposure of Jesus as the savior of sinners, Almighty God, Prince of Peace, King of kings, and Lord of lords.

The seven seals reveal Jesus:

Seal 1: The salvation of Jesus (After the papacy was wounded in 1798, the Holy Spirit put a compelling desire within Protestants to broadcast salvation through faith in Christ around the world.)

Seal 2: The teachings of Jesus (In the early 1800's the Holy Spirit began promoting Protestants to establish Bible societies in Europe and the United states)

Seal 3: The judgment of Jesus (pre-advent judgement, this seal was broken in 1884. This seal perfectly aligns with the scene in Dan. 7:9,10 where the court was seated and the books were opened. It aligns with the cleansing of heavens temple mentioned in Dan. 8:14. The Holy Spirit led people into the timely understanding of truth through William Miller and early Adventist.

Seal 4: The sovereign authority of Jesus (Father wants everyone to know that like Himself, Jesus is a sovereign God. To demonstrate the sovereign authority of Jesus to a religiously diverse world, God must use divine action. For 2,000 years, Christians have been trying to tell the world who Jesus is, and today, 75% of the world has no knowledge or interest in Jesus. Jesus will implement the wrath of God [seven trumpet judgements, salvation is still opened, followed by the seven last plagues, no mercy, no salvation) and God’s actions will force everyone to consider who Jesus really is. During the Great Tribulation, many people will lament, “Why is God punishing everyone? He already knows who will be saved and who will be lost! Why doesn’t He save the righteous and destroy the wicked and be done with this?” Of course, the Father foreknew who would be saved and who would not before the world was created, but He will not allow anyone to see what He foreknew until the seventh seal is broken at the end of the 1,000 years. Let me be clear. Jesus does not know who will be saved and who will not! This is why Jesus began judging the dead in 1844 and He will judge the living in real time. Jesus can only pass judgment on what is seen and heard. This is why the Books of Record are necessary. Jesus judges the dead according to their deeds. Jesus will judge the living according to their deeds, but He will only do so after we have been tested, during the seven trumpet judgements of Rev.8, which are opened at the forth seal, and one forth of earths population will be killed.

Seal 5: The faith of Jesus
Seal 6: The glory of Jesus
Seal 7: The deity of Jesus

When Jesus is revealed for all that He is at the end of the 1,000 years, the universe will see that the three members of the Godhead are inseparably united. They are submissive to each other. They are one in purpose, plan, and action and they love their children with as much love as they love one another. They are mirrors of each other. When Jesus came to Earth at His First Advent, most of the world was unaware of His arrival. When Jesus comes to Earth the second time, the result will be much different. Every eye will see Him. The whole world will know who He is. The saints will rejoice and the wicked will perish.

I know this is different than what adventist teach today still, but does it not harmonize more with prophecy and magnify more fully the sovereignty and Love of God?

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟922,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So, Bob, I will have to disagree with you in that the court room event of Dan. 7, started in 1844. Here is why:
According to the chronology of prophecy 4:1-6:17, After Jesus receives the book sealed with seven seals, chapter 6, begins the sequence of Christ opening the seals. Contrary to what early expositors thought (expositors centuries before William Miller) although he excepted their interpretation of the seals. They believed the seals covered the history of the christian church. Adventist still promote this teaching.
However, I believe progressive revelation has revealed even more amazing revelations about Jesus. And isn't that what the book of Revelation is intended to do? Consider the following insights:
I am not following your point as to how this has anything to do with changing the 1844 date for the IJ to another point in time.
"The seven seals represent a seven step process that will, at the end of the 1,000 years, reveal everything about the love and full identity of Jesus Christ. The Father has ordained that everyone in the universe should know that Jesus Christ is Almighty God, just like Himself. Jesus is made of the same eternal substance as the Father and He has the same powers and prerogatives as the Father. Jesus is a separate, distinct, co-eternal member of the Godhead. Yet, Jesus was willing to lay aside His powers and prerogatives and surrender Himself to the will of the Father in order to save mankind. The humility of Jesus is also seen in the Father. After Jesus received the book sealed with seven seals, the Father took “a back seat.” The Father gave Jesus sovereign authority and promoted Him to the position of High Priest, to cleanse the heavenly sanctuary of sin, so that the drama of sin and the exoneration of God’s government of love could be brought to a successful conclusion. Jesus still continues to carry this enormous responsibility today.
The seven seals can be compared to seven political campaigns in the sense that the purpose of a political campaign is the exposure of a candidate with his or her ideas on “the way government should run.” The purpose of the seven seals is a seven- step exposure of Jesus as the savior of sinners, Almighty God, Prince of Peace, King of kings, and Lord of lords.

The seven seals reveal Jesus:

Seal 1: The salvation of Jesus (After the papacy was wounded in 1798, the Holy Spirit put a compelling desire within Protestants to broadcast salvation through faith in Christ around the world.)

Seal 2: The teachings of Jesus (In the early 1800's the Holy Spirit began promoting Protestants to establish Bible societies in Europe and the United states)

Seal 3: The judgment of Jesus (pre-advent judgement, this seal was broken in 1884. This seal perfectly aligns with the scene in Dan. 7:9,10 where the court was seated and the books were opened. It aligns with the cleansing of heavens temple mentioned in Dan. 8:14. The Holy Spirit led people into the timely understanding of truth through William Miller and early Adventist.

Seal 4: The sovereign authority of Jesus (Father wants everyone to know that like Himself, Jesus is a sovereign God. To demonstrate the sovereign authority of Jesus to a religiously diverse world, God must use divine action. For 2,000 years, Christians have been trying to tell the world who Jesus is, and today, 75% of the world has no knowledge or interest in Jesus. Jesus will implement the wrath of God [seven trumpet judgements, salvation is still opened, followed by the seven last plagues, no mercy, no salvation) and God’s actions will force everyone to consider who Jesus really is. During the Great Tribulation, many people will lament, “Why is God punishing everyone? He already knows who will be saved and who will be lost! Why doesn’t He save the righteous and destroy the wicked and be done with this?” Of course, the Father foreknew who would be saved and who would not before the world was created, but He will not allow anyone to see what He foreknew until the seventh seal is broken at the end of the 1,000 years. Let me be clear. Jesus does not know who will be saved and who will not! This is why Jesus began judging the dead in 1844 and He will judge the living in real time. Jesus can only pass judgment on what is seen and heard. This is why the Books of Record are necessary. Jesus judges the dead according to their deeds. Jesus will judge the living according to their deeds, but He will only do so after we have been tested, during the seven trumpet judgements of Rev.8, which are opened at the forth seal, and one forth of earths population will be killed.

Seal 5: The faith of Jesus
Seal 6: The glory of Jesus
Seal 7: The deity of Jesus

When Jesus is revealed for all that He is at the end of the 1,000 years, the universe will see that the three members of the Godhead are inseparably united. They are submissive to each other. They are one in purpose, plan, and action and they love their children with as much love as they love one another. They are mirrors of each other. When Jesus came to Earth at His First Advent, most of the world was unaware of His arrival. When Jesus comes to Earth the second time, the result will be much different. Every eye will see Him. The whole world will know who He is. The saints will rejoice and the wicked will perish.

I know this is different than what adventist teach today still, but does it not harmonize more with prophecy and magnify more fully the sovereignty and Love of God?

Blessings
I agree that this is not the view of the seals that we see in Adventist material - but I don't see how this has anything to do with changing the IJ and 1844 start date.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟922,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
By your response I understanding you to say, that through absolute truth, one is saved.
Am I understanding you correctly?
No I am not saying that only those who know the most truth are saved. I am saying "truth matters" in that we must have a "love of the truth" to be saved - not "a love of some truth and now I am done with it" as some other folks tend to do.

Peter tried the "love of just some of the truth" idea in Matt 16 and Jesus said to Peter "get thee behind me satan".
You say Dan. 8 has no starting point. Does the prophecy not start out with the ram, Medo-Persia/538 B.C., followed by the goat (Greece)?
It starts with Medo/Persia in some dominant point of its existence but does not provide a start point in the vision. If you are accepting that the Dan 9 vision gives the start point that is missing in the Dan 8 vision -- I think we are actually in agreement about the fact that each of these timelines has a specific start and end
For your clarification, fulfilled prophecy proves the events within, "each individual prophecy" are chronological, not the various prophecies. Do you understand the difference?
yes and I do agree with you on that - I did not understand that to be your point when I read your post.

Upvote 0

Tigger Boy

Jun 12, 2023
Chapin, SC
✟19,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It starts with Medo/Persia in some dominant point of its existence but does not provide a start point in the vision. If you are accepting that the Dan 9 vision gives the start point that is missing in the Dan 8 vision -- I think we are actually in agreement about the fact that each of these timelines has a specific start and end
Agreed, no specific year is given as the starting point in Dan. 8, other than during the time that the Medo-Persia was in power. But nonetheless the ram was in the vision and it is the visions starting point.

I can only assume you are referring to the seventy weeks of Dan. 9. Should my assumptions be correct the starting point of the seventy weeks in that prophecy have nothing to do the the timing of the court room event in Dan. 7, which took place in heaven in 1798, at the same time the 1260 years of papal rule came to an end.

Upvote 0

Tigger Boy

Jun 12, 2023
Chapin, SC
✟19,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I am not following your point as to how this has anything to do with changing the 1844 date for the IJ to another point in time.

I agree that this is not the view of the seals that we see in Adventist material - but I don't see how this has anything to do with changing the IJ and 1844 start date.
Would like to respond to your post, but don't understand what "IJ" stands for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟922,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Agreed, no specific year is given as the starting point in Dan. 8, other than during the time that the Medo-Persia was in power. But nonetheless the ram was in the vision and it is the visions starting point.

I can only assume you are referring to the seventy weeks of Dan. 9. Should my assumptions be correct the starting point of the seventy weeks in that prophecy have nothing to do the the timing of the court room event in Dan. 7, which took place in heaven in 1798, at the same time the 1260 years of papal rule came to an end.
The 1260 years of Dan 7 predict a time of persecution after the rise of the 11th horn in the 4th empire listed in Dan 7. That timeline of persecution ends just before the judgment of Dan 7 begins. The 11th horn will continue to be an issue until the Judgment in Dan 7 "is passed in favor of the saints"

21 I kept looking, and that horn was waging war with the saints and prevailing against them, 22 until the Ancient of Days came and judgment was passed in favor of the saints of the Highest One, and the time arrived when the saints took possession of the kingdom.

So the end point for the 1260 years - is a point beyond which the judgment starts but not at the very moment that 1260 expire.

In Dan 7 the little horn problem is solved by the judgment process.
In Dan 8 that same little horn problem is said to be solved by the cleansing of the sanctuary.
Dan 8 says that the 2300 year timeline has to complete -- then that marks the start of the judgment

They are different ways of viewing the same judgment solution.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟922,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Dan 8 connects itself to Dan 7 having the same little horn problem, and pointing to Empires that are also in Dan 7.
Dan 8 says the solution is the "cleansing of the sanctuary after 2300 days/years"
And Dan 7 says that solution is the judgment in heaven - that completes before the second coming

Dan 9 vision says it is an explanation of something in Dan 8 vision (the missing start point in Dan 8)

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Gary, I find it interesting that your response proves my point of this thread. The importance of "Chronology" in understanding prophecy.
For anyone not familiar with Adventist history, one would understand you to say that Adventism preceded William Miller. Adventism rose up out of the ashes of the Millerite movemen after the disappointment. Reverse chronology as you state it. I'm under the understanding that Miller never became an Adventist, no did he accept the Sabbath. However, I believe he was God's insturement at the time to draw awareness to the pre-advent judgement in 1844.

Yes, I believe we had many fine bible scholars in the past, and we can stand on their shoulders today should we choose, and see farther ahead than what they could, and advance with the new light. Or we can choose to stand were they stood, and refuse to move forward with advancing light. The latter was the response of the religious leaders in Christ day. Each of us must make that choice. I have chosen to move with it.

I have had an interest in the study of Dan. and Rev. since the early eighties, do the math. I believe it is my spiritual gift. That interest led me into the Adventist church. Hope these insights help.

Blessings
You're wrong on that. The people in the Millerite movement were known as Adventists years before the SDA church existed. The Seventh day part of the name only came into existence after the great disappointment. It was only then that God led them to understand the Sabbath question.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In vs 4-6 we see the "first resurrection" which happens at the Rev 19 event - and marks the start of the 1000 years, and can only happen at the end of the IJ as per Dan 7.

4 Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their foreheads and on their hands; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and will reign with Him for a thousand years.​

"the rest of the dead did not come to life " until after the 1000 years.

The only point in Rev 20 where we see "the rest of the dead" come to life is in vs 11-12.

11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds.​

Phil 2 seems to show them as "alive" at that point as well

9 For this reason also God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.​
Jude depicts them as alive at that point as well
Jude 1:
14 It was also about these people that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, “Behold, the Lord has come with many thousands of His holy ones, 15 to execute judgment upon all, and to convict all the ungodly of all their ungodly deeds which they have done in an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.”​

Executive judgment is what we see in Rev 20 - because without the gospel anyone judged by deeds is always lost. There is no gospel to save those in the 2nd resurrection.
OK. I get your point now.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟99,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Ten Virgins await the bridegroom - and the issue is that some do not have the Holy Spirit while others do.

Rom 2:4-16 shows how the IJ process actually works
I understand that very well, My comment was just on how well Uriah Smith explained the parable.

Upvote 0