Kolbu
✟21,186.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I was at neighbour today, and he watched news from America. They punch random girls now on the streets, it seems, are people tired of living in a society, or is just the moral declining, the respect? Phil Collins sings about America as the land of confusion, are they just mentally confused? Evil? I`ve been talking to americans on chats also, they all seem mentally ill, alot of pushing, like I`d a want a culture here where people swears and act sexual

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟495,722.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This "knockout game" stuff has been going on since the 90s. Not that this is anything good, but it certainly isn't new, and I have seen no evidence that it has significantly increased in frequency.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟316,026.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I was at neighbour today, and he watched news from America. They punch random girls now on the streets, it seems, are people tired of living in a society, or is just the moral declining, the respect? Phil Collins sings about America as the land of confusion, are they just mentally confused? Evil? I`ve been talking to americans on chats also, they all seem mentally ill, alot of pushing, like I`d a want a culture here where people swears and act sexual
Are you talking about moral behaviour or frequency of violent crime (or something else)?

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟164,314.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Unless Jesus comes again to rule with a rod of iron, this world (including America) will have wickedness in it, and according to prophecies, it's going to get worse. Ever since they kicked God out of public schools in 1962, new generations have lost their moral compass more and more. And it will get worse yet, until God miraculously brings another revival to our nation. We should be faithful to God by maintaining our faith that God is good, despite living in an evil world.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟375,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Crimes stats from US cities--including aggravated and gun assaults--dropped a few percentage points between 2020 and 2023. But crime rates were still higher than in 2019. Check the link for more detailed info:

Crime Trends in U.S. Cities: Year-End 2023 Update

The US is a heterogeneous country--far more so than most European nations. Living among us are angry, uncaring, violence-prone persons who are unfit for a civilized modern society. But personally, I'm more concerned with absurdly easy access to firearms and mass shooting events, than low level street crime.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟252,740.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suspect that the so-called availability bias is at work here. Stories about crime are interesting and make the news. Stories about the fact that an entire town went a year without a single violent event is not interesting and does not make the news.

I submit that what credible data there is suggests that, in general, The human condition is improving over time.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟760,107.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Unless Jesus comes again to rule with a rod of iron, this world (including America) will have wickedness in it, and according to prophecies, it's going to get worse. Ever since they kicked God out of public schools in 1962, new generations have lost their moral compass more and more. And it will get worse yet, until God miraculously brings another revival to our nation. We should be faithful to God by maintaining our faith that God is good, despite living in an evil world.
The Jesus I know when He comes again will rule with a Heart full of Love. And that Love will be passed onto Humanity.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟164,314.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Jesus I know when He comes again will rule with a Heart full of Love. And that Love will be passed onto Humanity.
Ps 2: 6-8 "Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion. I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel."
Rev. 19:15 "And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God."

Do you believe there is a 1000 year reign of Christ prior to the new heavens and new earth (Rev. 20)? Will the world then be full of people who are not born again believers (but some of them become such)? It says at the end of that 1000 years, Satan will be let loose and will deceive the nations, which indicates that mankind as a whole will still be under sin. Then with corruption of the sinful nature still in the world in those years, it will require Jesus ruling strongly to carry out what God wants to accomplish, bringing "many sons to glory" (possibly a million times more than currently exist). The scripture says He will rule with a rod of iron, and I believe it.

Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟760,107.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Ps 2: 6-8 "Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion. I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession. Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel."
Rev. 19:15 "And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God."

Do you believe there is a 1000 year reign of Christ prior to the new heavens and new earth (Rev. 20)? Will the world then be full of people who are not born again believers (but some of them become such)? It says at the end of that 1000 years, Satan will be let loose and will deceive the nations, which indicates that mankind as a whole will still be under sin. Then with corruption of the sinful nature still in the world in those years, it will require Jesus ruling strongly to carry out what God wants to accomplish, bringing "many sons to glory" (possibly a million times more than currently exist). The scripture says He will rule with a rod of iron, and I believe it.
I don't believe any of that stuff quite honestly. For myself, it's the Heart of Christ that's important. And there in that space one finds "Infinite Divine Love!" That from my window into things is the essence of Christ and what would make a huge difference than does the reach that preaching of rules, laws and order which is not able to touch in the hearts of people the same way as does Love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,169,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Depends by what you mean by morality? A lot of subcultures are gaining recognition/acceptance largely thanks to the internet.

I think it's going to get much worse if you're a social conservative in the upcoming decades. LGBT for instance.. is just a drop in the bucket for what's out there. They might want to invest in some heart/stress medication or learn to live in a world where not everyone thinks or acts the same way they do and make whatever peace they can about it.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟164,314.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't believe any of that stuff quite honestly. For myself, it's the Heart of Christ that's important. And there in that space one finds "Infinite Divine Love!" That from my window into things is the essence of Christ and what would make a huge difference than does the reach that preaching of rules, laws and order which is not able to touch in the hearts of people the same way as does Love.
"Love rejoices in the truth" (1 Cor. 13). The apostle Paul taught the whole counsel of God. And Jesus in the gospels spoke as much of gehenna as He did of the kingdom of heaven. In order to love God as He commands, one must go through the fear of God to find His mercy in Christ.

It's good for you to be honest about what you don't believe, but it sounds like you disagree with scripture in some way, and that's a dangerous position to take IMO.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Amen to that. Even us Catholics believe in a second coming of Jesus.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟895,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

My philosophy on this is, we can judge individuals by their actions, but not entire groups of people based on the actions of individuals within that group. There are millions of Americans who are just as appalled as you are about how some people in our country behave my friend. This world is getting crazier and crazier everyday.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟760,107.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
"Love rejoices in the truth" (1 Cor. 13). The apostle Paul taught the whole counsel of God. And Jesus in the gospels spoke as much of gehenna as He did of the kingdom of heaven. In order to love God as He commands, one must go through the fear of God to find His mercy in Christ.
What is Chris's mercy? I'm still going with... Love..."Infinite Divine Love". Which is why I believe that one must go through Love to find Christ. Not fear. It seems to me that Love would have a wonderful effect on a society and their morals. Where fear on the other hand can make people do weird and bad things. Within Love is Empathy, Compassion, Service to those in need, things like that. That's in Mathew 25, right? These are the kinds of things that cause people to be more human. I'd think that would be good for society to go in that direction.
It's good for you to be honest about what you don't believe, but it sounds like you disagree with scripture in some way, and that's a dangerous position to take IMO.
All I can say is that Christ has never been closer. Disagree with scripture or not, I do look more closely where Love is preached.

I just don't see Jesus ruling with an Iron Rod. I don't buy into that stuff. Christ is freeing. Iron Rods are not freeing. It's about Love from what I can see. That's how those first Christians in Rome were able to bring so many into the fold. The same could happen here too if that path those Romans took was taken here as well. I mean like more in a full scale going forward kind of way. It's Love that Christ brings to the table. That's how I see it.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟252,740.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This world is getting crazier and crazier everyday.
I understand that it might seem that way, but I doubt this is really true. At least when one looks at the big picture. Perhaps you mean something else than what I have inferred when you say "the world is getting crazier every day". If so, please set me straight.

As I have pointed out before, there is a powerful "availability" bias at work in our world - the news only reports the "crazy.bad" stuff and leaves "normal/good" stuff off the news. Example: do we ever hear / read this on the news?: 50,000 airplanes took off and landed today without a single fatality? No, but we hear about each plane crash even though they are exceedingly rare. From Steven Prinker: news sources could have run the headline “137K people escaped extreme poverty today” every day for the past 25 years (at least before Covid). So 1.25 billion people have escaped extr poverty, & no one knows. Extreme poverty in the world is, thankfully, plummeting.

I suggest that the world, on average, and over reasonable timescales is getting better. Much better, in fact. Crime is down, women have more rights, people are living longer and healthier, literacy is up, war is way down, extreme poverty is way down. And on and on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟164,314.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What is Chris's mercy? I'm still going with... Love..."Infinite Divine Love". Which is why I believe that one must go through Love to find Christ. Not fear. It seems to me that Love would have a wonderful effect on a society and their morals. Where fear on the other hand can make people do weird and bad things. Within Love is Empathy, Compassion, Service to those in need, things like that. That's in Mathew 25, right? These are the kinds of things that cause people to be more human. I'd think that would be good for society to go in that direction.

All I can say is that Christ has never been closer. Disagree with scripture or not, I do look more closely where Love is preached.

I just don't see Jesus ruling with an Iron Rod. I don't buy into that stuff. Christ is freeing. Iron Rods are not freeing. It's about Love from what I can see. That's how those first Christians in Rome were able to bring so many into the fold. The same could happen here too if that path those Romans took was taken here as well. I mean like more in a full scale going forward kind of way. It's Love that Christ brings to the table. That's how I see it.
Everyone has an opinion. My experience led me to Christ through the fear of God first. Now I depend more on what the Bible says than anyone's sentiment or reasoning.
Ps. 105:13 "As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him" - yes, I'm one of those.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suspect that the so-called availability bias is at work here. Stories about crime are interesting and make the news. Stories about the fact that an entire town went a year without a single violent event is not interesting and does not make the news.

I submit that what credible data there is suggests that, in general, The human condition is improving over time.
At least lynch mobs are not as popular as they were when America was "great".

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟895,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it’s clear that God chose to use both love and fear to draw people to Christ. Probably because different people need different motivations at different times. For many people just coming to Christ who are just beginning their faith they might not have love for God yet. I don’t think it’s easy to come to love God when you’re just now beginning to believe in Him. So I think a lot of people turn to God because of fear and later grow to love Him.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟895,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Everyone has an opinion. My experience led me to Christ through the fear of God first. Now I depend more on what the Bible says than anyone's sentiment or reasoning.
Ps. 105:13 "As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him" - yes, I'm one of those.
I came to God from fear but it wasn’t fear of hell it was fear of being alone and dying alone never having a family. I’d say some time within a year I grew to love Him. Now I’m married to a beautiful woman with two beautiful daughters and a son and I praise His Holy name everyday.

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟90,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Uhm, I do believe that you've quoted the wrong scripture, you're actually referring to Psalm 103:13. More to the point though, what father sets as a requirement for their love the fact that their children must fear them?

Or you could skip down a few verses to this one, Psalm 103:17 "But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him."

Fortunately for me, I do believe that these are prime examples of where the bible translators really messed up. But hey, if you choose to believe that God really wants you to fear Him, then be my guest. The only one losing out here is you, and you seem to be fine with it... so go ahead... fear away.

Upvote 0