SW MO, USA
✟38,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm part of a political third party (American Solidarity Party) that opposes abortion, while recognizing that most abortions these days occur in the United States because women think they cannot financially support a child, and thus seek ways to help mothers support their children.

When abortion was first legalized in the 1970s, abortion occurred primarily among middle class white women who viewed pregnancy as an inconvenience that would conflict with their feminist objectives. Nowadays, most abortions are from women of color who don't have fathers involved and think childbirth would be too much to handle financially.

Traditional conservative Republicans oppose abortion, but don't seem to look into the contextual factors these days that cause women to consider it in the first place, and don't consider enough how support would work once the child is born. They're opposed to all government help, whether federal or local (I think they are unwise to dismiss local government). Democrats, meanwhile, talk constantly about a woman's right to choose, and don't consider the unborn's right. They also place too much stock in the federal government as opposed to local governments, which is why they are railing against the SCOTUS even though the SCOTUS' rulings would just leave abortion to the states.

It's hard to have a nuanced discussion on this. Today's young leftists think I'm awful for being pro-life in any way, while conservatives think babies from underprivileged backgrounds should just pull themselves up by some imaginary bootstraps despite most of them having absent fathers and poverty to contend with. It's ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Abortions have happened, legal or not since the beginning of time. The only difference between outlawing and legalizing abortion is less women die.
IF you want to end abortion, then everyone must support fact based sex education, a strong social safety net, including medical care, food, clothing, housing and education for all, guaranteeing a living wage to enable people to support their families, inexpensive child care, etc. On average, child care costs about 900 dollars per month for full time child care (This is how much child care costs in 2022). Very few people have the means to afford this. If the child is sick and can't go to care, the parent will lose their daily pay, something else very few can afford. Pro-birth and Pro-life are two totally different things. If you want to eliminate abortion for the most part, then it is time to support strong safety nets for families. You can't be "pro-family" and have no desire to help families do more than get by.

DISCLAIMER: I do not want to hear about anecdotal evidence of seeing this one or that one or an undocumented immigrant that got some benefits. Those are all a friend of a friend of someone they met on the internet sort of baloney. How do I know this? My mother was an undocumented immigrant. I live barely above the poverty line and usually have to choose between rent and utilities or groceries and gas to get to work. I literally can't afford to live. Fortunately I'm a bit fluffy so skipping meals isn't a big deal.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,482,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Abortions have happened, legal or not since the beginning of time. The only difference between outlawing and legalizing abortion is less women die.
IF you want to end abortion, then everyone must support fact based sex education, a strong social safety net, including medical care, food, clothing, housing and education for all, guaranteeing a living wage to enable people to support their families, inexpensive child care, etc. On average, child care costs about 900 dollars per month for full time child care (This is how much child care costs in 2022). Very few people have the means to afford this. If the child is sick and can't go to care, the parent will lose their daily pay, something else very few can afford. Pro-birth and Pro-life are two totally different things. If you want to eliminate abortion for the most part, then it is time to support strong safety nets for families. You can't be "pro-family" and have no desire to help families do more than get by.

That's why, contrary to popular opinion, this Supreme Court decision and all these new laws in red states are not a victory for the Church in America...but a challenge.

These next years will show where our hearts really lie.

Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
That's why, contrary to popular opinion, this Supreme Court decision and all these new laws in red states are not a victory for the Church in America...but a challenge.

These next years will show where our hearts really lie.

Yes, these next few years will show exactly what Christians believe and how they behave. Considering the worst maternal and neonatal death rates are in states that had the "trigger laws", along with the greatest poverty, I seriously have to wonder how "pro-family" these politicians really are. How many women and children have to die before they see the error of their ways.

Upvote 0