Usa
✟543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello! I am a guy who is interested in fitness, getting money, self improvement basically. I do it for both myself and others, I would like to bot be poor yet still be abke to provide for mt family, along w be and look strong but also defend others. I have put tegulations to make sure god is number one and making sure the habits are still not thw priority but I still am striving for personal glory considering I like doing it to be strong or have a stable financial situation. How about grooming my hair and making sure I look good?

Am I sinning, or being worldly or am i not sinning and just overthibking it?

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello! I am a guy who is interested in fitness, getting money, self improvement basically. I do it for both myself and others, I would like to bot be poor yet still be abke to provide for mt family, along w be and look strong but also defend others. I have put tegulations to make sure god is number one and making sure the habits are still not thw priority but I still am striving for personal glory considering I like doing it to be strong or have a stable financial situation. How about grooming my hair and making sure I look good?

Am I sinning, or being worldly or am i not sinning and just overthibking it?
Hello brother. It is nice to hear about your goals and aspirations for self-improvement, providing for your family, and being strong both physically and financially. However, regarding your question about grooming yourself and seeking personal glory, it is a little more complicated.

Here are some Biblical perspectives:

Firstly, the Bible encourages us to take care of our physical bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit. In 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, it says, "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." Grooming yourself and taking care of your appearance can be seen as a way to honor God and show respect for the body He has given us.

Secondly, the Bible also encourages us to work hard and be productive. In Proverbs 12:11, it says, "He who works his land will have abundant food, but he who follows worthless pursuits lacks sense." You mentioned wanting a stable financial situation to provide for your family. This is a noble goal that aligns with the Biblical principles of hard work and responsibility.

Regarding personal glory, it's important to remember that our ultimate goal should be to glorify God in all that we do. In Colossians 3:17, it says, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." So while it's natural for us to want to feel strong and successful, our ultimate motivation should be to bring glory to God through our actions.

In sum, taking care of yourself, including grooming your hair and seeking financial stability, can be seen as honoring God and being productive. However, it's important to keep our ultimate motivation in check - that is, to bring glory to God through all that we do.

Let me know if you have any further questions or thoughts on this topic.

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟12,701.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There's nothing inherently sinful about striving for personal improvement, whether it's in fitness, financial stability, or grooming. Taking care of your physical health and appearance can contribute to your overall well-being and confidence, which can positively impact other aspects of your life.

However, the potential for sin arises when these pursuits become idols or take precedence over your relationship with God or your responsibilities towards others. It's good that you've placed regulations to ensure God remains your number one priority and that these habits don't become all-consuming.

Regarding seeking personal glory, it's important to maintain humility and recognize that any abilities or achievements we have ultimately come from God. Seeking personal improvement is admirable, but it's essential to balance ambition with humility and gratitude.

As for grooming and wanting to look good, there's nothing inherently wrong with taking care of your appearance. Presenting yourself well can boost your confidence and positively impact how others perceive you. However, it's essential to ensure that your focus on appearance doesn't lead to vanity or excessive pride.

In summary, as long as your pursuits in fitness, financial stability, self-improvement, and grooming align with your values and don't detract from your relationship with God or your responsibilities towards others, they're not inherently sinful. However, it's crucial to remain mindful of your intentions, maintain humility, and prioritize spiritual growth alongside personal development.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2024
Usa
✟543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello brother. It is nice to hear about your goals and aspirations for self-improvement, providing for your family, and being strong both physically and financially. However, regarding your question about grooming yourself and seeking personal glory, it is a little more complicated.

Here are some Biblical perspectives:

Firstly, the Bible encourages us to take care of our physical bodies as temples of the Holy Spirit. In 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, it says, "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." Grooming yourself and taking care of your appearance can be seen as a way to honor God and show respect for the body He has given us.

Secondly, the Bible also encourages us to work hard and be productive. In Proverbs 12:11, it says, "He who works his land will have abundant food, but he who follows worthless pursuits lacks sense." You mentioned wanting a stable financial situation to provide for your family. This is a noble goal that aligns with the Biblical principles of hard work and responsibility.

Regarding personal glory, it's important to remember that our ultimate goal should be to glorify God in all that we do. In Colossians 3:17, it says, "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." So while it's natural for us to want to feel strong and successful, our ultimate motivation should be to bring glory to God through our actions.

In sum, taking care of yourself, including grooming your hair and seeking financial stability, can be seen as honoring God and being productive. However, it's important to keep our ultimate motivation in check - that is, to bring glory to God through all that we do.

Let me know if you have any further questions or thoughts on this topic.

Thsnk you but I got one more question about this; is the saying about how god is all wenneed and we should deny ourselves meaning as trust in god to do the work for you? I see this alot about self denial and self improvement is just worshipping yourself. I have put measures to not make it over god but it still could be worship.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thsnk you but I got one more question about this; is the saying about how god is all wenneed and we should deny ourselves meaning as trust in god to do the work for you? I see this alot about self denial and self improvement is just worshipping yourself. I have put measures to not make it over god but it still could be worship.
Whew, adding on the questions man. I'll try my best at answering this one, with a rhetorical question.

Question: Is an obsession on self-improvement a form of individualism?

My answer: An obsession on self-improvement can be considered a form of individualism. Individualism is the philosophy that emphasizes the worth and dignity of the individual, prioritizing personal freedom, autonomy, and self-reliance. Self-improvement is the pursuit of bettering oneself through various means such as education, skill development, physical health, and personal growth. This focus on personal betterment aligns with the individualistic values of autonomy, self-reliance, and the belief that each person is responsible for their own happiness and success. However, some self-improvement can also be pursued within the context of community or relationships, and does not have to be solely an individualistic pursuit.

What is your answer to this?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟301,744.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Jesus did not ask Peter to stop fishing. But He asked Peter if He loves these things more than Him.

Most Christians don't really care about that question, yet it is actually a very tough question to ask Peter NOT because Peter is obsessed with fishing or making money. Peter is neither of those. He is not greedy.

You can make all the money you could....Yet it isn't worldly on its own if you did not break any laws to do it, did not sacrifice quality time with family time to do it nor sacrificed your own health.

What makes money worldly is where you spend it on. That's it. Basic needs, for helping other people, luxury, jewelry, designer bags, expensive cruises, traveling for leisure. Go figure.

Money is like a hammer. You can use a hammer to fix your home, help fix homes of other people but it can also be used for harm. It depends on where you use it.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟301,744.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hello! I am a guy who is interested in fitness, getting money, self improvement basically.

Nothing wrong with these.

Jesus and the disciples were quite physically fit because they did a lot of walking, did not get drunk, did not eat junk food, and did not indulge in food.

Besides, gluttony is distinctly mentioned in the Bible many times as a bad thing. Because of this, the Bible definitely leaning towards physical fitness as better than NOT being physically fit, unless you have physical issues that prevents you from getting physically fit.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2024
Usa
✟543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Whew, adding on the questions man. I'll try my best at answering this one, with a rhetorical question.

Question: Is an obsession on self-improvement a form of individualism?

My answer: An obsession on self-improvement can be considered a form of individualism. Individualism is the philosophy that emphasizes the worth and dignity of the individual, prioritizing personal freedom, autonomy, and self-reliance. Self-improvement is the pursuit of bettering oneself through various means such as education, skill development, physical health, and personal growth. This focus on personal betterment aligns with the individualistic values of autonomy, self-reliance, and the belief that each person is responsible for their own happiness and success. However, some self-improvement can also be pursued within the context of community or relationships, and does not have to be solely an individualistic pursuit.

What is your answer to this?
Ues, if you qorry too much on it, thamk u all guys for thr posts

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2024
Usa
✟543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hmm? I did not get that. Can you rewrite that for me brother, as I see some typos.
Yes, if you worry too much on it or make it an idol. Thank you guys for all for the posts. I just do not want to become self righteous and end up being a fake christian because of it.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 5, 2024
Usa
✟543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hmm? I did not get that. Can you rewrite that for me brother, as I see some typos.
In a simpler version, I want to know how can I still do these activities such as working out, trying to get money, taking care of myself while not bejng self righteous, commiting sin, and worshipping myself or getting an ego, along with those lines. I want to do these actions and improve on myself but I still want to be humble, help others just as much and be a good christian. I also like your Cowboy Bebop profile picture.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Look at them individually and consider how it would be a blessing for others beyond yourself. Good health is important and sets a great example for your children. You'll minimize maladies and medical expenses which won't be hardships for your loved ones. Consider the impact as you age and your quality of life. You'll have greater mobility and less encumbrances. Especially when you pair it with a healthy diet.

Don't just look at them from the here and now. Contemplate the long-term effects of your pursuits. Ask yourself hard questions as you go along. As you're making improvements you're going to change. Be mindful of that and check-in with yourself spiritually.

Growth has its consequences especially if you're disciplined. We have different strengths and weaknesses. The biggest impact of steady progression is usually on relationships. The person changed, developed new interests, or their lives weren't keeping pace with the people around them. That's where care is required.

I gave my relationships to the Lord and allowed Him to build them. We don't see as He does and He knows their heart. He knows the god fearing men and women we need around us. If you allow you to bring them to you He will.

~bella

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟106,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, if you worry too much on it or make it an idol. Thank you guys for all for the posts. I just do not want to become self righteous and end up being a fake christian because of it.
You are welcome. Just trying to help folks out here. :)

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟926,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Technically being a part of the world is participating in the world's culture and following the world in their sin. Taking care of your physical appearance is at most a time waster and is not following theworldly. I personally don't spend very much time tweaking my physical appearance because well, there's nothing to upkeep but no, taking care of yourself is not worldly or sinful.

Now if you told me you were pro abortionist/feminist who follows all of Taylor Swifts latest tweets, pings, Instagram photos, and think that homosexuality marriage should be passed than yeah, I'd say you were quite wordly and therefore ungodly.

Upvote 0