About the return of Jesus in the Bible, how will the prophecies come true?

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Funny how the Jews who were his worse enemies never denied and still do not deny that Jesus existed.
I mean, if he never existed then one would expect them to latch on to that immediately. Yet not a single peep!
Now that is truly impressive!

Funny how the Jews never commented about non-existent leprechauns either!

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Funny how the Jews never commented about non-existent leprechauns either!
Ah! But there is the kicker. Leprechauns never seriously offended Jewish hypersensitive religious sensibilities like the Christians did. So what you have there, my friend, is a false analogy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whether Jesus comes back or not largely depends on whether Jesus was a real character to begin with, and not some composite myth created to drive the religious movement, which was very typical in these days.

Here are a few hints as to why you shouldn't sweat Jesus coming back:

1) If Jesus was anywhere remotely real in terms of being a miracle worker who cares for the livelihood of the sick, and especially children, there would be some hint of the disclosure of knowledge that would transcend that particular time in history. For example, Jesus could have told something as simple as "I give you a new command today, boil your milk and water every time you feed it to your young, and make sure to wash your fruit and veg in boiled water if you feed it to them."

That command alone would make a great progress towards reducing infant mortality in those days.

2) In the same breath, if we take Revelation for its word, the most imaginative way that we see Jesus coming back at that time was a guy on a white horse in the sky with a lot of other guys on white horses riding behind him.

Essentially, a horse was a de-facto transportation means of that day. A white horse would be an equivalent of a Ferrari. Thus, it seems like no one really pulled a muscle there imagining the mode of transportation for Jesus upon his return.

Again, it all hints to a time-period-bound understanding and mythology that should hint mythology to us.

I'm not saying that you can't make a faith-based bet on the contrary, but if God really wanted us to know "the truth", why so much obscurantism and mystery? Why all the hiding? Why all the vagueness?
You have much to learn.

The imagery is just that, a way of explaining how a spiritual event would happen...if you could see it. But you didn't, nor did the world, and yet it all happened "soon" after it was told. Most people suffer from the same inability to imagine spiritual matters, as you do...so it has evaded you/them.

As for bettering the suffering of the world...that was never the plan. On the contrary, the world is not real in the way that you think, but just as it has been openly stated...it was a creation, formed of nothing...because it is nothing, except that which it serves to be: History, is His story. It is all just a media creation (Disney would be proud).

And the whole, no improvement via all the religious hoopla thing....that is by design, that each generation would have equal opportunity. It is not just Israel who was held in blindness "until the fullness of the gentiles"...but all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Ah! But there is the kicker. Leprechauns never seriously offended Jewish hypersensitive religious sensibilities like the Christians did. So what you have there, my friend, is a false analogy.

The Christians were obviously real. It has yet to be determined that the Christ was. That virtually no one commented about him makes it less likely.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Today, I read two Bible scriptures, which arouses my interest. It is written in John 14:3, “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you to myself; that where I am, there you may be also.” And it says Acts 1:11, “this same Jesus … shall so come in like manner as you have seen him go into heaven.” Many people are impatient for Jesus's return in the last times.But, when it comes to the great event of Jesus's return, will He really come on a cloud as we imagine? will the prophecies be fulfilled in the same way as we think? Then, in what manner will the Lord Jesus come? How do you think about these two scriptures? Do you have any different views? Welcome to contribute.
Why do you think it's taken him so long to come back?

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
First of all, why would he leave in the first place? Why doesn't anyone ever ask this question?

I really don't buy the oversimplified answers like "If he didn't leave then Holy Spirit wouldn't come", Or "He left because the mission to spread the Gospel had to be fulfilled", or to "Prepare a place", again neither make a lot of sense.

These are non-answers. It's like asking your father "Why did you leave me and my mom as a child", and the answer is "Well, so you could tell your friends all about how great I am, and so that you would be overcome by inspiration".

It's really this simple:

1) Would the world be better with a resurrected Jesus who is the very personal proof of his own resurrection... a guy who is a living proof because he seemingly didn't die for 2000 years? I think that he wouldn't even have to perform any miracles. Just answer some questions for people who have questions... etc.

2) Would the world be better off with Jesus leaving without a trace, and all the disciples would have is a nice story full of holes?

Would the Christianity today be better off if Jesus never left? I think the answer is obvious. So why did he leave in the first place?

Upvote 0

ScottA

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, why would he leave in the first place? Why doesn't anyone ever ask this question?

I really don't buy the oversimplified answers like "If he didn't leave then Holy Spirit wouldn't come", Or "He left because the mission to spread the Gospel had to be fulfilled", or to "Prepare a place", again neither make a lot of sense.

These are non-answers. It's like asking your father "Why did you leave me and my mom as a child", and the answer is "Well, so you could tell your friends all about how great I am, and so that you would be overcome by inspiration".

It's really this simple:

1) Would the world be better with a resurrected Jesus who is the very personal proof of his own resurrection... a guy who is a living proof because he seemingly didn't die for 2000 years? I think that he wouldn't even have to perform any miracles. Just answer some questions for people who have questions... etc.

2) Would the world be better off with Jesus leaving without a trace, and all the disciples would have is a nice story full of holes?

Would the Christianity today be better off if Jesus never left? I think the answer is obvious. So why did he leave in the first place?
Jesus left, because, "It is finished."

What is not understood about that statement, is that the world seems to go on unfinished - which is not true. In that moment all things were finished...except the unfolding of the telling of the story: History is His story. So, what we are now living in is the pages of that part of His story.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Would the Christianity today be better off if Jesus never left?
While Jesus was here, even His own disciples were fighting among themselves, to see who was the greatest. And even while Satan was in Heaven itself, right in the presence of Jesus, still Satan could find ways to complain and falsely accuse people, instead of appreciating Jesus. So, having Jesus present, even doing such wonders like he did, would not necessarily make things better. Humans, because of their own conceited nature, could have Jesus right there with them, yet they judged Jesus to be not good enough for them > now, that is definition conceit, which we see now, also, how ones consider the One who is like Jesus to be not good enough for them!!

We all have been like this, somehow . . . either outrightly not considering Jesus to be good enough for us, or we have somehow neglected and even rebelled against the way His example calls us to love (Ephesians 4:31 - Ephesians 5:2); therefore, all of us need in us the correction which only God can provide > Hebrews 12:4-11.

@little stream So, Little Stream - - - part of when Jesus will come is related with when God will have accomplished all His correction and maturing of us the Bride Church of Jesus, so we get real in love, ourselves > 1 John 4:17.

So why did he leave in the first place?
Jesus came in order to die for us on the cross, and to present the gospel and reveal our Father's name. He came here in order to get the New Testament Started. But now, Devolved, we have Jesus on the right hand of the Father, in order to make "intercession for us" (Romans 8:34). Jesus is praying for us, according to His own faith, that we become transformed into His image so we are enjoyable to our Heavenly Father the way Jesus is so delighting, plus so we can benefit from how our Father loves us even as He loves Jesus > John 17:22-26.

So, Little Stream, how the prophecies will come true will mainly be how God gets us ready for our Groom, by making us real in love like Jesus is, so we are compatible with our Groom so we can spend eternity with Him!!!

So, now Jesus is our Head Transformer > Jesus resurrected is fully of God's own almighty love power flowing through and from Him to us by means of the Holy Spirit. Jesus is, then, not only a performer on this earth, but our chief transformer specialized in generating to us all that is of God in His love; and then we minister this grace even through ourselves to one another > Romans 5:5, 1 Peter 4:9-10, Ephesians 4:11-16.

Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Jesus left, because, "It is finished."

What is not understood about that statement, is that the world seems to go on unfinished - which is not true. In that moment all things were finished...except the unfolding of the telling of the story: History is His story. So, what we are now living in is the pages of that part of His story.

"Except"?

Then "it" isn't finished. So the original question is valid.

Why leave an 'unfinished job'?

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whether Jesus comes back or not largely depends on whether Jesus was a real character to begin with, and not some composite myth created to drive the religious movement, which was very typical in these days.
That's just Zeitgeist nonsense.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Except"?

Then "it" isn't finished. So the original question is valid.

Why leave an 'unfinished job'?
You are missing the point of describing it as "a story." Because history, is His (Jesus') story..."It is finished." Granted, it is an abstract notion, but that is simply because it is a foreign concept to you. Anyway, what is not finished, is Him telling the story to us through the pages of our lives. However...just because we are last to hear the story, does not change the fact that it is finished...and yet it was finished before we were born.

You asked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.