A Writing Exercise: Themed Short Stories

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
I thought it would be great fun (and a good writing exercise) to write short stories based on a theme. Don't read anyone else's before you post, though, so the stories will all be different. Shoot for drama, and make the characters as 3D as possible by showing (rather than telling) what the character(s) is/are doing.

First theme: A letter that was never received.

Have fun!

lonelypilgrim

Nov 29, 2004
Eastern Kentucky
✟719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here is my story. It is titled "You'll Never Be Forgotten". I hope it fits the theme.

“It’s been too long.” He said as he made his way over to the bench and sat down. Placing his head in his hands, “How could I have been so stupid?”

The night was bitterly cold and the night sky was full of clouds that had just began to send small kisses of snow to all below. The wind came in gusts and felt like it could cut right through a person. The cold stang, but somehow it didn’t register; not right now. The only thing Paul could think of was the wrenching pain in his heart.

Thirty-three years had passed since he had seen her. Thirty-three years and yet the image of her face was still fresh in his mind: the smell of her perfume; the gentle brush of her hand upon his face; her soft voice that carried away all anxiety and fears. When he was with her, nothing else mattered. He could live in the moments they spent together, forever. He could be happy with that.

Paul was not a young man. The years had worn on and took its toll. His hands were once so strong and now were weak. His golden brown hair was now silver and the gleam in his eyes were fading along with his sight.

The years had passed so slowly. Paul looked at his watch and noticed the time was 11:23pm. “What a way to be welcomed home?”

“Sir,” a voice from behind him broke the silence of the night, “are you okay?”

Looking behind him he saw a young woman.

“Yes, I’m fine.” He lowered his head once more and looked down towards his feet. “I used to live around here; you know? My family had a farm about 5 miles out of town. When I was growing up, the only thing on my mind was leaving this back water town; finding my place in the world and making my mark.” He held his hands out and looked at them turning them ever so slightly, “Yeah, I made my mark. I found my place in the world. I’m right back where I began; only this time, I don’t even have my dreams. Everything I own is in this case.” He patted the small suitcase that sat beside him on the bench, “Pathetic, huh. The ramblings of an old man.”

“Do you have somewhere you can go tonight?” Sara asked. There were no hotels in this small town, not even a boarding house. Times had been tough in this area and most families had left years ago. There wasn’t much left of the old town this man had known at one time.

Paul sat there. There was nowhere for him to go. There was nothing left for him to go to. He was sitting where the house once stood. Now it was a nothing of an empty lot. It had been kept up and the sitting bench and swing still stood where the back yard used to be. The house was gone; the dreams were gone, she was gone. His life was gone.

The events that happen in one lifetime can change the lives of so many others. How can such a little thing like time, take away a lifetime of dreams. What a cruel master time is.

“Is there some way I can help you sir?” Sara really didn’t know what to say. She wanted to understand and help in some way, but how?

“Thirty-three years ago, this was my home. It was a modest home, but it was mine and every night when I came home, she would be waiting; my Hannah. A fire. A fire took all my dreams away in one fail swoop. I had to go out of town for a couple of days; business. I should have stayed home and took care of the only business in my life that really mattered. When I got home, there was nothing. Nothing to greet me but the news that everything I had that made life, my life worth living was gone and a letter. The letter I had wrote that she never received.” Paul started to cry. He reached into his pocket and brought out a letter. The piece of paper was worn thin and the edges were bent. He unfolded the letter like it was a delicate old lace. He looked at the letter. “I’ll be fine right here. You go on to your own home Miss.”

Sara looked at him once more and reluctantly left.

Paul read his letter:

To my dearest Hannah

You’ll Never Be Forgotten
I wait and yearn with faith renewed for what tomorrow brings.
And cast an eye across the sky for swift and silent wings.
For you to come, my precious one is my desire I’m sure.
But how much longer dearest one must this weary heart endure?

There are silver threads among the gold that lie upon my brow.
And eyes that glowed with youthful light are growing dimmer now.
Though gold may turn to purest snow and fleeting youth depart.
Neither time nor space can ever erase this love within my heart.

Each night alone beneath the stars I make my wish anew.
Although I now you’re far from me, I walk and talk with you.
I send my thoughts in swiftest flight, in hopes that they will find,
Across the distance of the night, your heart attuned to mine.

To tell you that I love, though a year has come and gone.
I’ve tried to quench with wounded pride, this flame that lingers on.
So listen closely to the wind, and hear my anguished cry.
To hold you in my arms again, once more before I die.

That night was the only night anyone saw Paul in that little town. No one knew where he came from and no one knew where he went.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mochagirl

Even so, it is well with my soul.
Aug 23, 2004
✟19,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
My problem with short stories is....they're short. :) I like too much detail, or something. I have a difficult time limiting myself to a plot that will be complete within a thousand or so words...but this could be good for me. I'll have to think of something and keep it simple, and hopefully get around to actually writing it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
lonelypilgrim said:
ha! ha! ...Since Ohio is as far north as I have ever been, this could be quite right about me! ...

It could be true for a New Yorker, too, lol! Manhattan is some kind of place, I can say that. But if you ever get the chance, it is a great place. I love it.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2002
Alabama
✟30,950.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Whitehorse said:
For a new theme, how about Lost in Manhattan. :)
never been there. we could change the theme to just "lost" and go from there. there are a number of ways to be lost. i'm used to doing this with just a word and you write whatever comes to mind from that word. phrases are a little more difficult for me.

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
oncewaslost said:
never been there. we could change the theme to just "lost" and go from there. there are a number of ways to be lost. i'm used to doing this with just a word and you write whatever comes to mind from that word. phrases are a little more difficult for me.
Sure. That sounds like a good idea.

Upvote 0