A thought provoking little story

T

The Seeker

A man goes to see a doctor and says that he's feeling depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel, says that he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. The doctor says "The treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up.". The man bursts into tears and says "But doctor, I am Pagliacci."

Makes you think, really. The people who make everybody else laugh are always the ones who know that there is nothing to laugh about.

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Seeker said:
Makes you think, really. The people who make everybody else laugh are always the ones who know that there is nothing to laugh about.

Huh? :scratch:

Actually, I joke around and make my friends laugh, but I do think that there are things to laugh about.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

As someone fond of trickster mythology (with Coyote mythology probably being one of my favorite subsets) this statement strikes me as a little odd. Perhaps there is nothing to laugh about in our every day version of humor, but the entertaining trickster usually tries to show us that those are exactly the sort of things that we should laugh about.

Of course, that's all archetypal. I'm sure that you could find examples of entertainers that see nothing funny, but I'm equally sure that you could find examples of entertainers that see everything as funny.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
The Seeker said:
A man goes to see a doctor and says that he's feeling depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel, says that he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. The doctor says "The treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up.". The man bursts into tears and says "But doctor, I am Pagliacci."

I can make many laugh, and at the same time, am depressed. Laughter is for me an escape out of depression. In the end, I see nothing to laugh at, so I make myself something to laugh at.

Upvote 0

NormalDan

May 17, 2005
✟304.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
lawtonfogle said:
I can make many laugh, and at the same time, am depressed. Laughter is for me an escape out of depression. In the end, I see nothing to laugh at, so I make myself something to laugh at.
I used to be this way. Then I realized, it was all worth laughing at. Even the things that don't seem so funny. You get brought into existence without your consent. Nothing ever goes your way. Then you die. Now that's hilarious.

Reactions: MoonlessNight
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums