A strange experience after church at a supermarket.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,276,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Last Sunday, on New Years Eve, my S.O. played the piano at church and she is going to become the official organist after our current organist retires and goes back to the Carolinas to be closer to family.

After church we went to the grocery store, and we split up and I was sent to the milk section to look for some oat milk in a tetrapak. There was a woman standing there as I browsed the selection, unable to find any Oatly and debating what to get instead. This small Hispanic woman was looking at me and then she approached me and said "Excuse me, Sir... The Lord sees you and loves you." I was a bit surprised by this but just said "thank you", then picked up a carton of hemp milk and went on my way. It was a very strange occorance, I've only encountered somebody once before talking about religion in a supermarket, and it was never so direct (usually people are looking to invite us to their church).

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟254,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for posting. I actually experienced something similar at work yesterday.

I've also had other experiences like this. When I was working at a grocery store, some people who liked to witnessed told me God loves me and how good God is. I think it's the Holy Spirit working in mysterious ways.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,276,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Thank you for posting. I actually experienced something similar at work yesterday.

I've also had other experiences like this. When I was working at a grocery store, some people who liked to witnessed told me God loves me and how good God is. I think it's the Holy Spirit working in mysterious ways.

I'm just wondering what to make of the experience. On the one hand, it could just be a way of somebody saying something nice. On the other, perhaps it is a spiritual experience of some sort. Or, it could be some combination of the two.

The language is a bit unfamiliar to me, too. On googling the phrase "The Lord sees you", I see alot of references to certain Christian pastors using it to encourage others. Which I guess makes sense. I do feel discouraged, sometimes, but in a way that is also ambivalent. Like it's hard to make sense of my life. Sometimes I feel like an imposter, like I don't belong in church with people with very different life experiences, and sometimes different spirituality and theological orientation. But I keep going anyways, just because I think it might do some good. And the assumptions about God are a bit foreign to me and my religious experience. But I appreciated the sentiments anyways.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟327,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That woman is walking with the Spirit well alive in her. This is not uncommon when you get outside of denominations or even into ones who lean on the power of the Holy Spirit. You learn to see spiritually and act differently.

Or, have you thought of the possibility that you encountered an angel unawares, as in the book of Hebrews ? They do look just like you and I but always have a message. Sometimes they seem to be dressed a little out of place. Hebrews 13:2
ASV
Forget not to show love unto strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Angels I've believed to message me Just seem to show up, give the message and if you turn away to do something, then look back and they have just seemed to have vanished. I've had this three times in my life. And possibly a fourth.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟449,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I think it can depend quite abit on where one lives geographically ...
what kind of church (denomination) a person attends ...
and some other things ...
as to how often an encounter like this one will happen.

In some geographical areas, persons do talk more openly about God, than in others.
And persons of some denominations are more comfortable speaking freely about God, than are others.

Generally speaking, though, persons being lead by the Holy Spirit seem most likely to do this sort of thing.
The Holy Spirit is our Comforter, our Encourager ... and He will sometimes use us to be an encouragement to others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums