Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So as you say that literally everything was killed at exactly the same time in a global flood then there'd be fossils of everything, everywhere, all showing exactly the same age.

Hmm. Let me check to see if that's what we actually have.

Nope. I had a quick look. Seems there's nothing like that. So this new theory: 'Fossils form in wet conditions, therefore there was a global flood' proves to be so monstrously inept that it can't even be classed as wrong.
try to keep up. This is one piece of evidence. It's in a string of posts that go back to near the beginning of the thread. If you want to jump in with outlandish comments, just know it doesn't help your side much.

You would hopefully agree that because we can find a fossil of anything, that doesn't mean there will be fossils of every creature that ever lived.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,095.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
try to keep up. This is one piece of evidence. It's in a string of posts that go back to near the beginning of the thread. If you want to jump in with outlandish comments, just know it doesn't help your side much.

You would hopefully agree that because we can find a fossil of anything, that doesn't mean there will be fossils of every creature that ever lived.
It's evidence that some parts of the world were wet. 'There was water' does not equal 'there was a flood'. That's not evidence. It's galactically nonsensical.

And if there was a flood then any fossils that could have formed so rapidly would be the same age everywhere. All the evidence would show that everything died at exactly the same time. Notwithstanding that we'd find actual remains, not fossils.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,310.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Weather, like floods, right. See, we're already getting closer to agreement!

No, we're not closer to agreeing because even though flooding does occur around water sources (not a difficult thing to imagine), it is a serious stretch to say that the world was covered with water at once at the exact same time.

I didn't claim that.

I was just clarifying a statement of fact.

Which is easier with lots of water and lots of sediment. Maybe some amount of heat and/or some form of concretion medium, since there are bacteria and scavengers that are under the surface of the sediment.

Easier, yes, but not always the case.

Then there ought to be lots of preserved cactus fossils, but ther aren't.

There though. They're petrified cacti, and petrification is the same process as fossilization. Here's an example.

1698404651959.jpeg

Like this description?
"Palaeontologists still continue to discover fossils that prove the current territory of Gobi Desert had a very different climate and environment before 120 to 70 million years ago during the Cretaceous period. 120 million years ago the vast desert basins and valleys contained freshwater rivers and lakes with abundant water resources." We're discussing what it was like when the animals died, not today.

Abundant is a very iffy term to use for an area that is 1.3 million square miles. We don't know how big these water sources would be.
But my point still stands.

Or you have to fossilize quickly to prevent the decay. How long do you think it takes to fossilize, say, a whole fish in the conditions you mentioned?

Also, are all the components of the bone you mentioned replaced? They would have to be to last for millions of years, right?

Fossilization can happen quickly, in a few hours or months if the right specific conditions are met, but in a relative sense, about 10,000 years or so is the standard benchmark for time for a fossil to form. It's all done to geochemical location, protection from immediate destruction, and hard parts of the body remaining.

I don't get what you mean by 'all the components of the bone'. Fossilization is just the minerals in the bone being replaced by stone, leaving an imprint in the sediment the specimen is in.

We're still talking about fossils being overwhelmingly found that were laid down by or in water, right? Water...flood...see the connection? It's not slam dunk evidence for a flood, but just one of the evidences. Are you saying you're ready to go on to the next one from my post?

It's not evidence at all. Correlation is not causation. You need a lot more evidence than saying "oh, there's evidence of animals being buried underwater, ergo FLOOD!" which your next part neatly seques to...

First, it's unlikely the humans lived with the dinosaurs, i.e., in the same location. And you've already mentioned location as being important. So we would expect scant evidence that they died together. Fossils only tell when and where a creature died and was buried, though it could be close to where it lived.
There are curious artworks that suggest humans saw dinosaurs. This one is over 500 years old.

And this is where you entire argument falls apart.
It's a global flood. A deluge of water brought about by the fountins of the great deep bursting open (Genesis 7:11) and forty days and forty nights of rain (Genesis 7:12). That's a violent amount of water, a catacylsmic amount of water that covers the Earth to the highest points of the mountains. It will not matter if humans and dinosaurs didn't live in the same location. As @Bradskii pointed out: in that sort of environment, every living thing is going to die and be swept up together. We should find elephants and diplodicus (dipolodici?) and cows and whales and humans and triceratops and rhinos and monkeys and velociraptors all swept up together and deposited everywhere they were left when the waters receeded... But we don't. We find fossils of animals that lived and died in specific regions of the world, in specific times in Earth's history, with only the smallest percentage of overlap, and that's mainly from animals such as sharks, crocodiles, turtles and sponges.

Not evidence at all for a slamdunk.

And that pic is just a depiction of what people in the 1500s thought the Behemoth looked like, but also in the Medieval period, depictions of animals... well, they weren't great.
1698405547414.jpeg

And even if we take the 'Bell's Behemoth' as evidence for dinosaurs existing alongside humans... why do not have the likes of Geoffrey Chaucer talking about them? Where are the Medieval coat of arms for dinosaurs (Coolest idea ever)? Where's the other evidence?

I think it was around 2500 BC, maybe up to 6000 BC.

So if we take 2500 BC as your first answer, so that would either be in the reign of Pharaoh Khafre, or Menkaure, or Shepseskaf. Not one of them reported any mention of their lands being annihilated by a global flood, nor did it imped the construction of the Great Sphinx at Giza either, which was built in the reign of Khafre too.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,310.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
It's evidence that some parts of the world were wet. 'There was water' does not equal 'there was a flood'. That's not evidence. It's galactically nonsensical.

And if there was a flood then any fossils that could have formed so rapidly would be the same age everywhere. All the evidence would show that everything died at exactly the same time. Notwithstanding that we'd find actual remains, not fossils.

It's a bad case of thinking that correlation equals causation.

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's a bad case of thinking that correlation equals causation.
But you would both agree that you can't have causation without correlation, right? In other words, lack of correlation would definitely mean no causation. Correlation is a necessary part of causation, but not sufficient by itself.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,310.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
But you would both agree that you can't have causation without correlation, right? In other words, lack of correlation would definitely mean no causation. Correlation is a necessary part of causation, but not sufficient by itself.

And you have neither correlation nor causation.

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, we're not closer to agreeing because even though flooding does occur around water sources (not a difficult thing to imagine), it is a serious stretch to say that the world was covered with water at once at the exact same time.

I was just clarifying a statement of fact.

Easier, yes, but not always the case.

There though. They're petrified cacti, and petrification is the same process as fossilization. Here's an example.

View attachment 338461
Excellent example! Now, how does something petrify?
This from geology.com:
"It forms when plant material is buried by sediment and protected from decay due to oxygen and organisms..." Yep, that fits what you said, and I agree with that.

It continues:
"Then, groundwater rich in dissolved solids flows through the sediment, replacing the original plant material with silica, calcite, pyrite, or another inorganic material such as opal."
That fits what I said, but not what you said. In other words, cactus doesn't just get buried by an avalanche of sand and petrify. It needs water to FLOW through it. In other words, there has to be an unusual event to preserve cactus. It has to be buried deeper than the surface level where it died in order for the water to reach it, or the water level has to rise to something not usually seen in the desert...and stay there for some extended period of time. That's not what happens in a desert (that's why it's a desert).

Abundant is a very iffy term to use for an area that is 1.3 million square miles. We don't know how big these water sources would be.
But my point still stands.
Your argument isn't with me, then, but with Oxford, since they used "abundant". And your point has crumbled.

Fossilization can happen quickly, in a few hours or months if the right specific conditions are met, but in a relative sense, about 10,000 years or so is the standard benchmark for time for a fossil to form. It's all done to geochemical location,
I'm not sure what you mean by "It's all done to geochemical location". Can you explain?
protection from immediate destruction, and hard parts of the body remaining.
Right, and sometime soft parts of the body remaining long enough to fossilize. That would fit well with your "few hours or months" comment.

I don't get what you mean by 'all the components of the bone'. Fossilization is just the minerals in the bone being replaced by stone, leaving an imprint in the sediment the specimen is in.
You know, like blood cells, collagen, DNA, etc. I think you're saying that after 10,000 years or so, all of that would be replaced by minerals, right? So you would agree with @Bradskii on this:
...Notwithstanding that we'd find actual remains, not fossils.
You would agree that we should not find any actual remains for things that have been dead and fossilized for over a million years, since such remains are not able to withstand decay that long?

It's not evidence at all. Correlation is not causation. You need a lot more evidence than saying "oh, there's evidence of animals being buried underwater, ergo FLOOD!"
No, I'm saying there's overwhelming evidence that fossils are buried under silt/sediment and water because that's how the large majority of fossils form
which your next part neatly seques to...

And this is where you entire argument falls apart.
It's a global flood. A deluge of water brought about by the fountins of the great deep bursting open (Genesis 7:11) and forty days and forty nights of rain (Genesis 7:12). That's a violent amount of water, a catacylsmic amount of water that covers the Earth to the highest points of the mountains. It will not matter if humans and dinosaurs didn't live in the same location.
Do you like iced tea? I like mine sweetened with honey or sugar. Sometimes I start with hot, unsweetened tea and pour it over a little honey in the bottom of the glass. Then I throw in some ice. If I forget to stir, I get cold unsweetened tea until I get down near the bottom of the cup, where I will be drinking warm, exceedingly sweet tea. But from what you just told me, a cataclysmic amount amount water (it would be compared to the amount of honey and ice) would mix up my tea just fine.

Now, let's say that before I poured the hot water in and added ice, I poured in a bunch of sand (not to drink, but for experiment's sake). What will happen? I pour in the cataclysmic amount of water and voila! everything's all mixed up, right? Wrong. I would have a layer of honey that's starts to dissolve/melt, a layer of wet sand, a bunch of warm water with some sand swirling in it, and a layer of cold water and ice. It doesn't all mix up like you said, unless I stir it, vigorously. It's unlikely that anyone was stirring during the flood, it was the action of the water only, which would first cause landslides to bury animals that were nearer to bodies of water, which would later be topped by more layers that were washed down from higher ground as the higher ground areas became less stable.
As @Bradskii pointed out: in that sort of environment, every living thing is going to die and be swept up together.
Only if they were living together in the first place, or were very close together. Like swampy area animals might be buried with sea animals...unless you stir everything up on purpose.
We should find elephants and diplodicus (dipolodici?) and cows and whales and humans and triceratops and rhinos and monkeys and velociraptors all swept up together and deposited everywhere they were left when the waters receeded... But we don't.
Imagine that the rain hit all areas of the land at the same time (one possible scenario) and drowned animals were washed downstream at the same rate. If lions, tigers and bears lived in higher ground areas and dinosaurs lived in lower ground areas, then the dinosaurs would be buried lower than the lions, tigers, bears. This is a simplistic way to think of it, and it certainly doesn't cover all of the possible explanations. I'm just saying there are ways to explain different types of animal being buried in different layers.
We find fossils of animals that lived and died in specific regions of the world, in specific times in Earth's history
An assumption based on what? That the times are determined by the layers they are found in. It's a circular argument.
, with only the smallest percentage of overlap, and that's mainly from animals such as sharks, crocodiles, turtles and sponges.
All water-dwelling creatures. Fancy that.
Not evidence at all for a slamdunk.
Agreed, that's why there are more parts to the argument. Remember that we are taking those one at a time.
And that pic is just a depiction of what people in the 1500s thought the Behemoth looked like, but also in the Medieval period, depictions of animals... well, they weren't great.
View attachment 338462
These are bad drawings of real animals that weren't always viewed completely--not to mention the tendency to cartoon-ize the things we draw. I presented you with a good drawing/sculpture of a supposedly fanciful animal that happened to look very, very similar to what we believe, after much digging of fossils, piecing skeletons together, and attempting to draw animals from those skeletons. There are others.
And even if we take the 'Bell's Behemoth' as evidence for dinosaurs existing alongside humans... why do not have the likes of Geoffrey Chaucer talking about them?
You mean like the writer of Beowulf, who talked of dragons? Or of stories like St George and the Dragon? I guess we do.
Where are the Medieval coat of arms for dinosaurs (Coolest idea ever)?
Dragons are a recurring theme. "Dinosaur" is a relatively new word. I'm not sure an allosaur or similar would be as cool as, say, a T-Rex.
Where's the other evidence?
I'm not suggesting that dinosaurs were commonplace. But they are mentioned in the bible (Behemoth and possibly Leviathan are both in Job, mentioned in a way that suggests Job could actually go and look at them, along with flying serpents in Num 21:6).
So if we take 2500 BC as your first answer, so that would either be in the reign of Pharaoh Khafre, or Menkaure, or Shepseskaf. Not one of them reported any mention of their lands being annihilated by a global flood, nor did it imped the construction of the Great Sphinx at Giza either, which was built in the reign of Khafre too.
The first Egyptian dynasty started about 3000 BC. Assuming the date is correct (chronologies are often revised), it easily fits in the range I provided, even allowing for a few hundred years for people to get to Egypt after the Tower of Babel incident (but it shouldn't take more than a few months for families to move from Mesopotamia to Egypt). The flood would definitely impede construction, so it would have occurred before those things were constructed, especially since they were constructed out of materials, limestone primarily, laid down during the flood.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,310.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Excellent example! Now, how does something petrify?
This from geology.com:
"It forms when plant material is buried by sediment and protected from decay due to oxygen and organisms..." Yep, that fits what you said, and I agree with that.

It continues:
"Then, groundwater rich in dissolved solids flows through the sediment, replacing the original plant material with silica, calcite, pyrite, or another inorganic material such as opal."
That fits what I said, but not what you said. In other words, cactus doesn't just get buried by an avalanche of sand and petrify. It needs water to FLOW through it. In other words, there has to be an unusual event to preserve cactus. It has to be buried deeper than the surface level where it died in order for the water to reach it, or the water level has to rise to something not usually seen in the desert...and stay there for some extended period of time. That's not what happens in a desert (that's why it's a desert).

Your argument isn't with me, then, but with Oxford, since they used "abundant". And your point has crumbled.

I'm not sure what you mean by "It's all done to geochemical location". Can you explain?

Right, and sometime soft parts of the body remaining long enough to fossilize. That would fit well with your "few hours or months" comment.

You know, like blood cells, collagen, DNA, etc. I think you're saying that after 10,000 years or so, all of that would be replaced by minerals, right? So you would agree with @Bradskii on this:

You would agree that we should not find any actual remains for things that have been dead and fossilized for over a million years, since such remains are not able to withstand decay that long?

No, I'm saying there's overwhelming evidence that fossils are buried under silt/sediment and water because that's how the large majority of fossils form

Do you like iced tea? I like mine sweetened with honey or sugar. Sometimes I start with hot, unsweetened tea and pour it over a little honey in the bottom of the glass. Then I throw in some ice. If I forget to stir, I get cold unsweetened tea until I get down near the bottom of the cup, where I will be drinking warm, exceedingly sweet tea. But from what you just told me, a cataclysmic amount amount water (it would be compared to the amount of honey and ice) would mix up my tea just fine.

Now, let's say that before I poured the hot water in and added ice, I poured in a bunch of sand (not to drink, but for experiment's sake). What will happen? I pour in the cataclysmic amount of water and voila! everything's all mixed up, right? Wrong. I would have a layer of honey that's starts to dissolve/melt, a layer of wet sand, a bunch of warm water with some sand swirling in it, and a layer of cold water and ice. It doesn't all mix up like you said, unless I stir it, vigorously. It's unlikely that anyone was stirring during the flood, it was the action of the water only, which would first cause landslides to bury animals that were nearer to bodies of water, which would later be topped by more layers that were washed down from higher ground as the higher ground areas became less stable.

Only if they were living together in the first place, or were very close together. Like swampy area animals might be buried with sea animals...unless you stir everything up on purpose.

Imagine that the rain hit all areas of the land at the same time (one possible scenario) and drowned animals were washed downstream at the same rate. If lions, tigers and bears lived in higher ground areas and dinosaurs lived in lower ground areas, then the dinosaurs would be buried lower than the lions, tigers, bears. This is a simplistic way to think of it, and it certainly doesn't cover all of the possible explanations. I'm just saying there are ways to explain different types of animal being buried in different layers.

An assumption based on what? That the times are determined by the layers they are found in. It's a circular argument.

All water-dwelling creatures. Fancy that.

Agreed, that's why there are more parts to the argument. Remember that we are taking those one at a time.

These are bad drawings of real animals that weren't always viewed completely--not to mention the tendency to cartoon-ize the things we draw. I presented you with a good drawing/sculpture of a supposedly fanciful animal that happened to look very, very similar to what we believe, after much digging of fossils, piecing skeletons together, and attempting to draw animals from those skeletons. There are others.

You mean like the writer of Beowulf, who talked of dragons? Or of stories like St George and the Dragon? I guess we do.

Dragons are a recurring theme. "Dinosaur" is a relatively new word. I'm not sure an allosaur or similar would be as cool as, say, a T-Rex.

I'm not suggesting that dinosaurs were commonplace. But they are mentioned in the bible (Behemoth and possibly Leviathan are both in Job, mentioned in a way that suggests Job could actually go and look at them, along with flying serpents in Num 21:6).

The first Egyptian dynasty started about 3000 BC. Assuming the date is correct (chronologies are often revised), it easily fits in the range I provided, even allowing for a few hundred years for people to get to Egypt after the Tower of Babel incident (but it shouldn't take more than a few months for families to move from Mesopotamia to Egypt). The flood would definitely impede construction, so it would have occurred before those things were constructed, especially since they were constructed out of materials, limestone primarily, laid down during the flood.

(I somehow deleted my response and I quickly forgot what I wrote so apolgise if this is different to what I wrote beforehand)
Yeah, I'm not going to bother reply to any of what you said since I can tell that no matter what I say, you're still going to make the claim that you cannot back up with actual evidence that within the last 6 to 10,000 years, there was a global flood that covered the world, even though all the evidence from God's creation shows that such a thing did not happen. So why are we having this song and dance?

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(I somehow deleted my response and I quickly forgot what I wrote so apolgise if this is different to what I wrote beforehand)
Yeah, I'm not going to bother reply to any of what you said since I can tell that no matter what I say, you're still going to make the claim that you cannot back up with actual evidence that within the last 6 to 10,000 years, there was a global flood that covered the world, even though all the evidence from God's creation shows that such a thing did not happen. So why are we having this song and dance?
You only want have a conversation with people who agree with you on everything? How boring.

 But I can understand why you would walk away after I refuted your points one by one.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,310.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
You only want have a conversation with people who agree with you on everything? How boring.

 But I can understand why you would walk away after I refuted your points one by one.

I like conversing people who disagree with me. But when it's the same claims (not evidence but claims) being trotted out again and again and again, and you show that you inherently will not be able to meet me in the middle, then I have to wonder if it's worth it.

And no, you refuted nothing because all you did was go "No, that's just wrong", "No, wrong", "Wrong", "Wrong", etc, etc, through the whole thing. You've not shown any evidence to support the claim that there was a global flood. Your asinine attempt at an analogy with the iced tea was flawed because the physics of honey in water are nowhere near the same as the physics that would effect bodies of animals in a global flood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I like conversing people who disagree with me. But when it's the same claims (not evidence but claims) being trotted out again and again and again, and you show that you inherently will not be able to meet me in the middle, then I have to wonder if it's worth it.
What does "the middle" look like to you? Does that mean there was a global flood, but it only destroyed half of the animals God made in the beginning? Or if I say I'm willing to drop the flood as long as the earth is still only about 6000 years old? The points go together. The reason the earth looks old to you is that you interpret geological layers as representing large amounts of time, whereas my position is that a catastrophic, world-wide flood as described in the bible would do exactly what we see in the layers of the geologic column. They are directly opposing views, and there is no middle ground. If I'm right, then you are wrong. If you're right, then I am wrong. If you think you can squeeze some middle ground in there, let me hear your proposal...but I don't think you can.

And no, you refuted nothing because all you did was go "No, that's just wrong", "No, wrong", "Wrong", "Wrong", etc, etc, through the whole thing.
No, you're wrong about that! ;)
I also gave reasons why you were wrong. This is where you get to defend yourself or tell me me WHY my reasons are wrong. Go ahead...I can take it.
You've not shown any evidence to support the claim that there was a global flood.
Are you ready to move on to my next point?
Your asinine attempt at an analogy with the iced tea was flawed because the physics of honey in water are nowhere near the same as the physics that would effect bodies of animals in a global flood.
Animals would not just be floating around in clean water, or they wouldn't fossilize, as you pointed out before (see, we DO agree on some things). They had to be covered by sediments. And I talked about a way that could happen to different types of animals in different layers. If you disagree with my scenario, offer one of your own.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,095.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Animals would not just be floating around in clean water, or they wouldn't fossilize, as you pointed out before (see, we DO agree on some things). They had to be covered by sediments.
And we'd be discovering remains. Literally everywhere. All over the planet. All dating to the exact same time. There'd hardly be any fossils to find anywhere. There'd be bones, organic material, all exactly the same age. People, rabbits, dinosaurs, cows, elephants...whatever you'd find will be shown to have died at the same time.

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And we'd be discovering remains. Literally everywhere. All over the planet. All dating to the exact same time. There'd hardly be any fossils to find anywhere. There'd be bones, organic material, all exactly the same age. People, rabbits, dinosaurs, cows, elephants...whatever you'd find will be shown to have died at the same time.
Do you think mostly organic remains would last over 4500 years? We don't see that when something dies today, do we? The remains are eaten or decay within a few weeks, except for bones, which last longer.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,095.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you think mostly organic remains would last over 4500 years? We don't see that when something dies today, do we? The remains are eaten or decay within a few weeks, except for bones, which last longer.
Eaten? By what? Everything is dead. Remember?

And are you asking those questions because you don't know? Bones last tens, even hundreds of thousands of years in some cases. Biological material can last many thousands of years. Read this:

'Often, the proteins have lost much of their original integrity, but retain enough for clear identification. Like castle ruins, we expect these proteins to have crumbled only partly over several thousand years'.

Get that? '...over several thousand years.' They can be clearly identified. So we'd know all your flood victims all died at the same time. But hey, those scientists will simply tell us what they want us to know. Which is why I took that info from here, from your chums at Answers In Genesis: Solid Answers on Soft Tissue

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Eaten? By what? Everything is dead. Remember?
Not sea creatures. Sharks, crabs, and other aquatic scavengers are still alive (not all, but some). So Noah didn't have to take sea creatures in the ark. Insects were probably still alive in a lot of cases. And certainly bacteria survived the flood without having to be on the ark.
And are you asking those questions because you don't know?
I'm trying to figure out what you're proposing would happen in a flood.
Bones last tens, even hundreds of thousands of years in some cases. Biological material can last many thousands of years.
In a preservative environment, yes. But not all biological material. And not millions, right?
Read this:

'Often, the proteins have lost much of their original integrity, but retain enough for clear identification. Like castle ruins, we expect these proteins to have crumbled only partly over several thousand years'.

Get that? '...over several thousand years.' They can be clearly identified. So we'd know all your flood victims all died at the same time.
It still depends on how the remains ended up. Exposed to the sun? Or to bacteria? Or scavengers? No remains. Buried and compressed and heated? Some remains.
But hey, those scientists will simply tell us what they want us to know. Which is why I took that info from here, from your chums at Answers In Genesis: Solid Answers on Soft Tissue
Good. I'm glad you're reading them. Creation.com is another good source.
So if we've found such soft tissue from animals that supposedly lived 70 + millions of years ago (or much more), that tells us they probably didn't live that long ago... It fits the scenario you're suggesting--that they all (including dinosaurs and even more ancient animals) died fairly recently, because there is still biological material in the fossils, including DNA.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,095.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It still depends on how the remains ended up.
We're talking a planet full of biomass. All killed at the same time. There'd be more remains than you could hope to deal with. And any remain that you investigate would show that they died at the same time. Every fossil, every piece of protein, all of it would indicate the same time. Whether it was a bone from a rhino, a fossil of a T rex, the preserved body of a mammoth or a human skull.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟353,310.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
What does "the middle" look like to you? Does that mean there was a global flood, but it only destroyed half of the animals God made in the beginning? Or if I say I'm willing to drop the flood as long as the earth is still only about 6000 years old? The points go together. The reason the earth looks old to you is that you interpret geological layers as representing large amounts of time, whereas my position is that a catastrophic, world-wide flood as described in the bible would do exactly what we see in the layers of the geologic column. They are directly opposing views, and there is no middle ground. If I'm right, then you are wrong. If you're right, then I am wrong. If you think you can squeeze some middle ground in there, let me hear your proposal...but I don't think you can.

The middle ground is accepting that either one of us could be wrong. That's really it.

No, you're wrong about that! ;)
I also gave reasons why you were wrong. This is where you get to defend yourself or tell me me WHY my reasons are wrong. Go ahead...I can take it.

No you didn't. You just made claims about how everything is evidence of a global flood without actually showing any evidence for it.

Are you ready to move on to my next point?

No, because honestly I'm getting sick of talking to you.

Animals would not just be floating around in clean water, or they wouldn't fossilize, as you pointed out before (see, we DO agree on some things). They had to be covered by sediments. And I talked about a way that could happen to different types of animals in different layers. If you disagree with my scenario, offer one of your own.

You didn't talk about anything since your idea does not make sense nor deserve merit. Even if I accept the idea that you put forward that dinosaurs and humans lived together but in different locales, it does not explain at all why we find dinosaurs in sediment lower and older than ancient mammals, which are also in sediment lower and older than what we find the earlist humans in. If we accept your idea that nearly every creature (I don't know where you stand on animals that came before the dinosaurs so we're leaving them to the wayside) that ever existed lived at the same, then was just thrown together in the tumult of the Noahic Flood and died together at the same time, then we should not find them in sediments by age of the layers. We should only find the largest animals at the bottom: whales alongside kronosaurs and basilosaurs and brachiosaurs and diplodicus, with sequentially smaller animals towards the top until those that floated the longest would be at the top, with obviously some variety thrown in because of current and depth. We do not see that all.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,166.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The middle ground is accepting that either one of us could be wrong. That's really it.

No you didn't. You just made claims about how everything is evidence of a global flood without actually showing any evidence for it.

You didn't talk about anything since your idea does not make sense nor deserve merit. Even if I accept the idea that you put forward that dinosaurs and humans lived together but in different locales, it does not explain at all why we find dinosaurs in sediment lower and older than ancient mammals, which are also in sediment lower and older than what we find the earlist humans in. If we accept your idea that nearly every creature (I don't know where you stand on animals that came before the dinosaurs so we're leaving them to the wayside) that ever existed lived at the same, then was just thrown together in the tumult of the Noahic Flood and died together at the same time, then we should not find them in sediments by age of the layers. We should only find the largest animals at the bottom: whales alongside kronosaurs and basilosaurs and brachiosaurs and diplodicus, with sequentially smaller animals towards the top until those that floated the longest would be at the top, with obviously some variety thrown in because of current and depth. We do not see that all.
I get sick-of quicker than you.

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Good. That's something we agree on.
You want evidence that evidence is evidence? You must like circular reasoning.
Remember that we're discussing two different ways of interpretting the same evidence. The evidence is that the whole world is covered with layers of sediment that have fossils in them. The layers often have distinct, horizontal boundaries that go on for miles, that are stacked vertically hundreds of feet, without erosion channels. Your story says those layers represent thousands of years each. My story says those layers were laid down in less than a year. Same evidence, different stories (interpretations).

For instance we discussed meanders. You proposed that meanders can only mean a slow river that piles up sediment until it changes the course of the river. That's a good proposal. So I countered with a request for you to show me where such piles of sediment are visible in the Grand Canyon layers at the turns only?. But I don't remember you replying to that. Did you find anything like that yet?

Now who's being rude?
You didn't talk about anything since your idea does not make sense nor deserve merit.
Meaning you are the one who
isn't "accepting that either one of us could be wrong", and therefore aren't willing to find "middle ground"?

Even if I accept the idea that you put forward that dinosaurs and humans lived together but in different locales, it does not explain at all why we find dinosaurs in sediment lower and older than ancient mammals,
That was part of the explanation. Because they were in the swampy areas and lowlands, they were washed into basins (lower areas) first. More sediment accrued on top of them and higher area animals were washed into those basins next, with sediments to bury them. Remember that no one was stirring the "tea" to make sure the lower sediments and creatures mixed with upper.
which are also in sediment lower and older than what we find the earlist humans in.
Right, but how much older is different in our two interpretations.
If we accept your idea that nearly every creature (I don't know where you stand on animals that came before the dinosaurs so we're leaving them to the wayside)
Dinosaurs are the elephant in the room, but the same applies to those fossils buried lower.
that ever existed lived at the same, then was just thrown together in the tumult of the Noahic Flood and died together at the same time, then we should not find them in sediments by age of the layers.
They didn't all die at the same time, necessarily. Lowland animals probably died sooner than highkand animals. The heavy rains lasted 40 days, and other rains and the fountains of the deep another 110 days.
Genesis 7:24 KJV — And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.

Genesis 8:2 KJV — The fountains also of the deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained;

We should only find the largest animals at the bottom: whales alongside kronosaurs and basilosaurs and brachiosaurs and diplodicus, with sequentially smaller animals towards the top until those that floated the longest would be at the top, with obviously some variety thrown in because of current and depth. We do not see that all.
On just that last point, the carcases that float would not be the ones that fossilize, because they would sink onto the top of the sediment, so they would decompose, unless another round of sediment were deposited very quickly. And it would have to be a big one to cover such big creatures as would be on the bottom.

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We're talking a planet full of biomass. All killed at the same time. There'd be more remains than you could hope to deal with. And any remain that you investigate would show that they died at the same time. Every fossil, every piece of protein, all of it would indicate the same time. Whether it was a bone from a rhino, a fossil of a T rex, the preserved body of a mammoth or a human skull.
See my last post to @Warden_of_the_Storm about the simultaneity of the deaths. It took 150 days to kill off the land animals.

Upvote 0