Ipswich
✟13,034.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
A father painted an image, and he cut it into many pieces, as a puzzle to be given to his four sons.
He gathered his sons in the morning and said to them; when you assemble this image, you shall have the keys to my house. When the sun begins to set in the evening, we shall see the image assembled.
The sons took their pieces, turning away from one another, each clinging to their pieces with all their strength, knowing the precious gift they had been given.
The first son took his pieces and buried them, fearing he may lose them, he hid them under the earth. Pieces rotted in the earth, and a half were lost.
The second son took his pieces to his friends, and told them; behold, the key to my father's house, by this we have power. Theses pieces were fought over, as men grasped for them, and a half were lost.
The third son put his pieces on display for the whole town to see, but men mocked him, saying; This is just a piece, and your whole is not here. And he grew ashamed, and these pieces were left in the market, and disrespected, and a half were lost.
The forth son took his pieces and considered them a while, then he returned to his father's table, and set to work assembling them.
In the evening all four sons gathered at the table. The first three said to the first; how is it that you have twice our pieces, and have already assembled part of the image?
He said back to them; is it not wise to consider the image, when given pieces thereof?
The remnants of the pieces were put on the table, and the image constructed.
The first son said; this image is incomplete, and has no more value to me than the mud that smeared what pieces were allotted to me. How should I even understand it? And he left from the table, and turned to digging the soil in search of truths.
The second son said; this image is a blasphemy unto the pieces. What power can be in this broken image, when mine own power by holding one piece is greater on earth? And he left from the table, and moved into a palace of silk, seeking his own glory.
The third son said; This whole is hidden from me, should not these pieces be reshaped to hide the shame I feel of the incompleteness? And he took his pieces, and separated them, and rejected those other pieces that did not fit his own, and went away to dwell in the back of the house.
The fourth son said to his father; I behold the beauty of your brushwork, and the fineness of your craftsmanship, and I see the likeness of the whole, though many pieces have been taken or damaged.
The father said; this is the key to my house. The pieces shall be scattered again for each new son after you, and alas your brothers will be jealous forever.