A hypothetical situation for pro-choicers.

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I heard about a situation like this the other day and I want your take. I'm pro-life so I automatically think it's wrong but from a different perspective it still strikes me as unethical.

A young girl (lets say 15) gets pregnant with a man she hardly knows and wants to keep her baby. She drinks and smokes and her parents encourage this by giving her more. Say child services takes the teenager away from her family. Is it ethical for them to also have the fetus aborted if the teenager wants to keep him or her?

mpok1519

Veteran
Jul 8, 2007
✟28,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well thats a pickle; studies show there isn't lost cause within fetal alcohol syndrome, or tobacco induced low fetal birth-weight; also, with such a young mother, its also safe to assume she wouldn't have the avaliable income or discretion needed to healthily support a baby child. Yet, it is not the place of authority to decide whether or not to abort the said fetus; infact, law doesn't designate who gets to make such a decision; if anything, I can say its only the choice of the mother.

Parents? Law? Mother? Father?

Life isnt exactly democratic.

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The idea of pro-choice is pro-*CHOICE*. This is why people who are pro-choice hate being called "pro-abortion." Forcing somebody into an abortion is completely antithetical to the idea of freedom of choice.
Granted, it's a bad situation, and bad situations generally don't have neat easy answers. But assault and battery is *not* an option. Parenting classes (for both the girl and her parents) are, with special emphasis with the effects of drugs on a fetus and how to care for yourself during pregnancy. If the girl ends up not taking care of her child, that will have to be handled later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithLikeARock

Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Looks like a landslide. Back to the drawing board Faith :)

Oh I was never interested in trapping someone. More for reassurance since I heard a few people actually ENDORSE this and claim to be pro-choice.

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Oh I was never interested in trapping someone. More for reassurance since I heard a few people actually ENDORSE this and claim to be pro-choice.

Fair enough. If you look hard enough, you'll probably find anyone who will endorse all sorts of crazy views.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FaithLikeARock

Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
This may sound wacky to a Christian, but many ideologies and beliefs are plagued by extremist fringe members!

I've also had people tell me that there's no such think as a wacko atheist or pro-choicer because "everything we say is logical". :(

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟935,931.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I've also had people tell me that there's no such think as a wacko atheist or pro-choicer because "everything we say is logical". :(
Any Atheist who claims that we are all pure paragons of logic and reason has obviously never heard of either the World Church of the Creator or the Raëlians. ^_^

(And in case anyone missed the 'we' above... I am an atheist, I just think some of us are nuts).

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟101,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The only way to find out if someone is really an atheist and not a wacko is to check in with the Main Office and see if they're registered. If not, then they're not a True Atheist.

-- A2SG, True Atheists (tm), a subsidiary of True Scotsmen, Ltd......

Reactions: platzapS
Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

There are wacko everythings.

But no one thinks they're nuts, of course. :)

Upvote 0