✟42,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Reference Texts

Romans 8:9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.
Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

2 Corinthians 5:
Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh.
Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer.
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away;
behold, all things have become new.

Under present circumstances, active congregations must be open to the Holy Spirit doing something new,
to bring even greater glory to Christ.
How does a fellowship submit to the Holy Spirit?

Last edited:
B
byword
Unfortunately, many churches are a ‘spectator only’ venue.
People have grown comfortable just attending church and quietly accumulating information about God, believing their appearance there will be accepted as God’s Will.
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟912,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reference Texts

Romans 8:9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you.

2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

2 Corinthians 5:

Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh,

yet now we know Him thus no longer.

17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation;

old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

Under present circumstances, active congregations must be open to the Holy Spirit
doing something new, to bring even greater glory to Christ.
It is His promise to all who believe. He will make His Home in them through His Holy Spirit. That being said, there are many who grieve and quench Him which eventually will cause apostasy. Blessings.

• Ephesians 1:13-14: "In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory."

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Reference Texts

2 Corinthians 5:
Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer.
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away;
behold, all things have become new.

Under present circumstances, active congregations must be open to the Holy Spirit doing something new,
to bring even greater glory to Christ.
How does a fellowship submit to the Holy Spirit?
I am hard pressed to think of any denomination which would actually state that the Holy Spirit is not Lord of their denomination.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟42,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am hard pressed to think of any denomination which would actually state that the Holy Spirit is not Lord of their denomination.
Words are not actions. Even if a denomination calls itself "full Gospel Spirit-filled, Pentecostal" etc...there could be within that denomination a congregation that is only paying lip service to the Lord, while not employing any gifts, activities or manifestations of the Spirit. In that case, the statement made in the title would hold. On the other hand, a congregation determined to abide in the Spirit would certainly find themselves hard-pressed, according to the testimony of the scriptures. Luke 16:16

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Words are not actions. Even if a denomination calls itself "full Gospel Spirit-filled, Pentecostal" etc...there could be within that denomination a congregation that is only paying lip service to the Lord, while not employing any gifts, activities or manifestations of the Spirit. In that case, the statement made in the title would hold. On the other hand, a congregation determined to abide in the Spirit would certainly find themselves hard-pressed, according to the testimony of the scriptures. Luke 16:16
Well, I am not God so I cannot see that relationship. In fact, I tend to be highly skeptical that the Holy Spirit is actually Lord in any denomination or church. However, until a church or denomination specifically identifies as not being under the Lordship of God, the Holy Spirit, then I will cut them plenty of slack and leave the matter up to God.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟42,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, I am not God so I cannot see that relationship. In fact, I tend to be highly skeptical that the Holy Spirit is actually Lord in any denomination or church. However, until a church or denomination specifically identifies as not being under the Lordship of God, the Holy Spirit, then I will cut them plenty of slack and leave the matter up to God.
This is not about stating a creed, or a belief in the Trinity. Nor is it about passing judgment on anyone.
There is an apostolic standard given by which every Assembly is to measure themselves.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves.
Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.

1 Corinthians 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged.
32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

Ephesians 4:
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This is not about stating a creed, or a belief in the Trinity. Nor is it about passing judgment on anyone.
There is an apostolic standard given by which every Assembly is to measure themselves.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves.
Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.

1 Corinthians 11:31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged.
32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

Ephesians 4:
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
I rather think that many in the Corinthian church (to name but one) perceived themselves to the under the lordship of the Holy Spirit - that is, until Paul decided to pen a letter to them.

Upvote 0

OldAbramBrown

Jul 4, 2023
England
✟22,720.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
until a church or denomination specifically identifies
Aren't we warned to look behind the exterior if we can? I don't think this is only a matter of style or mannerisms in Sunday services themselves, but it's especially what they teach about how we should live, alertly, during the week.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟373,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Aren't we warned to look behind the exterior if we can? I don't think this is only a matter of style or mannerisms in Sunday services themselves, but it's especially what they teach about how we should live, alertly, during the week.
Why bother judging anyone or any church you are not directly involved with? God, the Holy Spirit is certainly able to engage with others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums