Visit site
✟843,983.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
After much thought and research, I have come to the conclusion that the definition of spiritual warfare that involves "binding the devil", casting out of demons, dealing with "territorial spirits", and generational curses, is not what true spiritual warfare actually is.

Seeing that the devil is still free to wander throughout the earth and to organise his demons, I wonder after all the times he has been "bound", who keeps setting him free again? Or is the idea of Christian believers binding the devil not found anywhere in Scripture? The teaching that any believer can cast out demons has caused a lot of damage to lives, especially when novices still wet behind the ears have tried it on unsuspecting people who may not have been demonized at all. There are only two principalities mentioned, both in the book of Daniel - the Prince of Persia, and the Prince of Egypt. There is no mention of any other principalities ruling over various areas of the world. Therefore the teaching about territorial demons is just fantasy. There is no reference in Scripture about generational curses affecting born again Christians. When a person receives Christ he becomes a new creature and all the old things have passed away and all things become new. This means that any curse that might have been there when the person was unconverted has been eliminated through the new birth.

So what is true spiritual warfare? In reality it is the fight against the powers of darkness that seeks to stand in the way of sinners coming to Christ. The principal weapon is the sword of the Spirit, which is the preaching of the Gospel of Christ. The Gospel involves Christ and Him crucified to take away the sin of those who believe on Him by faith - that Jesus has become their substitute for sin, setting them free from the wrath of God and the eternal penalty for sin.

We see in Ephesians 6 that there is spiritual armour to defend us against the powers of darkness seeing to derail the preaching of the Gospel:
The belt of truth - contained in the sound doctrine in the Bible.
The breastplate of righteousness - the free gift of righteousness conferred by God to every believer in Christ, along with the Holy Spirit to enable the believe to demonstrate that righteousness in holy living.
The feet shod with the Gospel of peace.
The helmet of salvation which enables every believer to have the mind of Christ.
The shield of faith that blocks the fiery darts thrown at us by the powers of darkness.

The sword of the Spirit is our offensive weapon against the powers of darkness, and it involves the preaching of the Gospel which Paul says is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who believes it. Preaching Christ and Him crucified confirms that the devil is a defeated foe and he hates the preaching of the Gospel and does all he can to suppress it. This is why in most of our mega churches and the conferences of the prosperity preachers the Gospel is never preached, and anyone who tries to stand up in their meetings and tell people about Christ and Him crucified are often accused of having a demon and promptly bundled out by security.

So, the outcome of most of the attempts of spiritual warfare outside of the preaching of the Gospel fail because they consist in sound and fury but results in the steam going out through the whistle and the devil and his demons just stand there and laugh. But when the Gospel is preached and people start coming to Christ, then that wipes the smile off his face and he starts to tremble knowing that his time is short.

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟776,719.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So what is true spiritual warfare? In reality it is the fight against the powers of darkness that seeks to stand in the way of sinners coming to Christ. The principal weapon is the sword of the Spirit,

I agree with your post, but especially this part. The best defense in spiritual warfare (in any form) is knowledge of the Word of God and repentance

Upvote 0

DerrickOlley

Nov 9, 2022
New York, NY
✟8,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
After much thought and research, I have come to the conclusion that the definition of spiritual warfare that involves "binding the devil", casting out of demons, dealing with "territorial spirits", and generational curses, is not what true spiritual warfare actually is.

Seeing that the devil is still free to wander throughout the earth and to organise his demons, I wonder after all the times he has been "bound", who keeps setting him free again? Or is the idea of Christian believers binding the devil not found anywhere in Scripture? The teaching that any believer can cast out demons has caused a lot of damage to lives, especially when novices still wet behind the ears have tried it on unsuspecting people who may not have been demonized at all. There are only two principalities mentioned, both in the book of Daniel - the Prince of Persia, and the Prince of Egypt. There is no mention of any other principalities ruling over various areas of the world. Plastic surgery https://celebrityweeks.com cosmetic! Therefore the teaching about territorial demons is just fantasy. There is no reference in Scripture about generational curses affecting born again Christians. When a person receives Christ he becomes a new creature and all the old things have passed away and all things become new. This means that any curse that might have been there when the person was unconverted has been eliminated through the new birth.

So what is true spiritual warfare? In reality it is the fight against the powers of darkness that seeks to stand in the way of sinners coming to Christ. The principal weapon is the sword of the Spirit, which is the preaching of the Gospel of Christ. The Gospel involves Christ and Him crucified to take away the sin of those who believe on Him by faith - that Jesus has become their substitute for sin, setting them free from the wrath of God and the eternal penalty for sin.

We see in Ephesians 6 that there is spiritual armour to defend us against the powers of darkness seeing to derail the preaching of the Gospel:
The breastplate of righteousness - the free gift of righteousness conferred by God to every believer in Christ, along with the Holy Spirit to enable the believe to demonstrate that righteousness in holy living.
The helmet of salvation which enables every believer to have the mind of Christ.
The shield of faith that blocks the fiery darts thrown at us by the powers of darkness.

The sword of the Spirit is our offensive weapon against the powers of darkness, and it involves the preaching of the Gospel which Paul says is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who believes it. Preaching Christ and Him crucified confirms that the devil is a defeated foe and he hates the preaching of the Gospel and does all he can to suppress it. This is why in most of our mega churches and the conferences of the prosperity preachers the Gospel is never preached, and anyone who tries to stand up in their meetings and tell people about Christ and Him crucified are often accused of having a demon and promptly bundled out by security. So, the outcome of most of the attempts of spiritual warfare outside of the preaching of the Gospel fail because they consist in sound and fury but results in the steam going out through the whistle and the devil and his demons just stand there and laugh. But when the Gospel is preached and people start coming to Christ, then that wipes the smile off his face and he starts to tremble knowing that his time is short.
I agree with you spiritual development is the basis of man! It helps to overcome life's obstacles! And only spiritual strength helps in the most difficult situations!

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟289,128.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Seeing that the devil is still free to wander throughout the earth and to organise his demons, I wonder after all the times he has been "bound", who keeps setting him free again? Or is the idea of Christian believers binding the devil not found anywhere in Scripture? The teaching that any believer can cast out demons has caused a lot of damage to lives, especially when novices still wet behind the ears have tried it on unsuspecting people who may not have been demonized at all. There are only two principalities mentioned, both in the book of Daniel - the Prince of Persia, and the Prince of Egypt. There is no mention of any other principalities ruling over various areas of the world. Therefore the teaching about territorial demons is just fantasy. There is no reference in Scripture about generational curses affecting born again Christians. When a person receives Christ he becomes a new creature and all the old things have passed away and all things become new. This means that any curse that might have been there when the person was unconverted has been eliminated through the new birth.

The sword of the Spirit is our offensive weapon against the powers of darkness, and it involves the preaching of the Gospel which Paul says is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who believes it. Preaching Christ and Him crucified confirms that the devil is a defeated foe and he hates the preaching of the Gospel and does all he can to suppress it. This is why in most of our mega churches and the conferences of the prosperity preachers the Gospel is never preached, and anyone who tries to stand up in their meetings and tell people about Christ and Him crucified are often accused of having a demon and promptly bundled out by security.

So, the outcome of most of the attempts of spiritual warfare outside of the preaching of the Gospel fail because they consist in sound and fury but results in the steam going out through the whistle and the devil and his demons just stand there and laugh. But when the Gospel is preached and people start coming to Christ, then that wipes the smile off his face and he starts to tremble knowing that his time is short.

Mark 16:16-18 ESV​

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Luke 10:17 ESV​

The seventy-two returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in your name!”

Acts 16:16-18 ESV​

As we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit of divination and brought her owners much gain by fortune-telling. She followed Paul and us, crying out, “These men are servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to you the way of salvation.” And this she kept doing for many days. Paul, having become greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And it came out that very hour.

John 14:11-13 ESV​

Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves. “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Edited to fix incorrect quotation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟721,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe beyond a doubt that Christians have the authority to cast out demons - I believe Scripture when it speaks of the acts of casting out demons.

What I have NEVER found proof of is binding demons - not in Scriptural edict nor example.

The most misused scripture is:

Some use Matt 18:18 18 “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.​

Their error is not reading the verses before and after it and not seeing in context of what was said.

Read it in context:

Matt 18: 15 Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ 17 And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.
18 “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
19 “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”

There is zero reference to demons, therefore can not be contextually supported for binding demons.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟289,128.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe beyond a doubt that Christians have the authority to cast out demons - I believe Scripture when it speaks of the acts of casting out demons.

What I have NEVER found proof of is binding demons - not in Scriptural edict nor example.

The most misused scripture is:

Some use Matt 18:18 18 “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.​

Their error is not reading the verses before and after it and not seeing in context of what was said.

Read it in context:

Matt 18: 15 Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ 17 And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector.
18 “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
19 “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”

There is zero reference to demons, therefore can not be contextually supported for binding demons.
I think it's easy to misinterpret if one is more zealous than familiar with context. When I first met Jesus I was around a lot of well-intended, but too young to teach Christians, who just yanked this verse right, straight out and used it as a stand-alone. European based culture doesn't really use bind/loose the way it would have been understood in 1st century Israel.

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟721,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's easy to misinterpret if one is more zealous than familiar with context. When I first met Jesus I was around a lot of well-intended, but too young to teach Christians, who just yanked this verse right, straight out and used it as a stand-alone. European based culture doesn't really use bind/loose the way it would have been understood in 1st century Israel.
It is very easy to do. They take experience, mix it with scripture and through, IMHO, a convoluted process try to make the scriptures say something they do not. _ Easy to check, the scripture is plainly not addressing demons, nor demonic activity, but forgiveness.

Another verse very often misused is:

Matt 12:29 Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house.​
Once again, a simple reading of the preceding and following verses clarifies

Matt 12:22 Then one was brought to Him who was demon-possessed, blind and mute; and He healed him, so that the blind and mute man both spoke and saw. 23 And all the multitudes were amazed and said, “Could this be the Son of David?”​

24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, “This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.”
25 But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? 27 And if I cast out demons by Beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. 28 But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you. 29 Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30 He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.

31 “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

This is NOT an instruction or command on how to bind demons - it is an explanation of the authority Jesus had because of the Holy Spirit. To accompany this explanation there is NOT ONE instance in the whole of the New Testament of anyone being instructed or actually binding the devil or demons.

There is only one reference to the devil being bound:

Rev 20 Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. But after these things he must be released for a little while. .

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟843,983.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Scripture, "The weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty through God for the pulling down of strongholds, casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of Christ" is often misapplied to that of fighting against demons and casting them out.

What is really means is that it is all to do with preaching the Gospel of Christ - Jesus Christ and Him crucified and risen from the dead. The strongholds, imaginations, and high things that exalt themselves against the knowledge of Christ, are those things that oppose the Gospel of Christ. We don't use that verse as validation to bind or rebuke the devil and do anything else to fight directly against the powers of darkness. What we do is to preach the Gospel with boldness, because as Paul said, it is the power of God leading to salvation to those who believe it. We resist the devil by preaching the Gospel, and it is that the devil flees from, because he knows that he is a defeated foe and cannot stand against the power of the Gospel of Christ.

We don't fight directly against the devil. We have the angels Gabriel and Michael to do that, as is shown in the book of Daniel. What we do is to boldly preach the Gospel, backed up by powerful intercessory prayer.

Upvote 0

Sabri

Pentecostal -Apostolic
Nov 20, 2022
Mo
✟32,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married

I do not agree. Have encountered spiritual warfare in its rarest and truest form. There are people who have aligned themselves with demons for power and glory that the demon can give them. When they encounter a believer they are awestruck and are obsessed with converting the believer to become like them by any means necessary.
It takes continual prayer and fasting which renouncing and binding and casting out to make devils stand down. Some people have a legion of demons that’s why the person filled with the demon laughs. However, God has promised we have power over serpents and to cast out devils. Please read the scripture

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums