WI
✟145,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I first heard that pork = pigs = worms.. I called it hogwash. But then when I took a good look at a leg of pork and saw tiny little squiggly wormies.. I decided I'd never eat that again. I've gone to processed deli ham instead. Clearly it's a lot safer.
Agreed. I am glad that I have never seen that, but I will avoid pork from now on. No wonder why the OT prohibits pork consumption.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟327,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Agreed. I am glad that I have never seen that, but I will avoid pork from now on. No wonder why the OT prohibits pork consumption.
As I said in my earlier post, trichinosis is no longer a concern when it comes to commercially-produced pork (in the US at least). There are less than 20 cases reported annually, and most of those are linked to things like wild game and homemade sausage/jerky.

Pigs are opportunistic omnivores, so if you don't control their diet, they'll happily eat any meat they happen to find. The main reason why the OT (and Koran) banned pork consumption was because it was very difficult to control a pig's diet at that time, which made them very prone to parasites (like trichinella worms). Today, pigs (and other livestock) have strict regulations on what they're allowed to be fed (no raw meat, for example). Combined with the level of control that farms are able to exert on the availability of food outside of permitted feed categories, that means that the risk of pigs contracting parasitic infections is quite low.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟439,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It could have been mercury. Apparently Robert Kennedy also has mercury poisoning from too much fish.
Or maybe the worms got worms from eating uncooked brains?

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟145,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I said in my earlier post, trichinosis is no longer a concern when it comes to commercially-produced pork (in the US at least). There are less than 20 cases reported annually, and most of those are linked to things like wild game and homemade sausage/jerky.

Pigs are opportunistic omnivores, so if you don't control their diet, they'll happily eat any meat they happen to find. The main reason why the OT (and Koran) banned pork consumption was because it was very difficult to control a pig's diet at that time, which made them very prone to parasites (like trichinella worms). Today, pigs (and other livestock) have strict regulations on what they're allowed to be fed (no raw meat, for example). Combined with the level of control that farms are able to exert on the availability of food outside of permitted feed categories, that means that the risk of pigs contracting parasitic infections is quite low.
Hey, thanks for the info. I do prefer chicken though, cos it is easier to cook. Nowadays, we can control farm animal's diets better. Yeah, I stay away from homemade meats.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're never alone with a worn in your head
Or a little man in your head :) My wife can hear me in the other room when I'm talking out loud trying to write a coherent reply. I appreciate people like Pommer and others who are teaching me proper grammar.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟145,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're never alone with a worn in your head
Or, one is never alone with a worm in one's stomach: Jadzia from Star Trek: Deep Space 9 has a symbiotic worm named Dax living in her. Dax was thankfully returned in the episode.

Jadzia's Dax symbiont was temporarily removed (5 minute clip from Star Trek DS9, ages 12+ due to medical stuff)

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm watching Ol' Brain Worms Kennedy on TV and he is floundering. He's got some poll that shows him beating Trump and Biden individually without the other. This is complete nonsense, even if Trump or Biden wasn't on the ballot the Democratic and Republican parties would certainly have a candidate. The three-way field isn't going to clear for you Mr. Kennedy.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟145,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm watching Ol' Brain Worms Kennedy on TV and he is floundering. He's got some poll that shows him beating Trump and Biden individually without the other. This is complete nonsense, even if Trump or Biden wasn't on the ballot the Democratic and Republican parties would certainly have a candidate. The three-way field isn't going to clear for you Mr. Kennedy.
Yeah, typically the third candidate always loses out. Three choices: Old man who is soft spoken, an old criminal who lies, or a somewhat younger worm dude who spreads false information.

I'd go for the old man who is soft spoken. But this is a thread about RFK, so I digress.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Man, those pork chops look good!
"Above 140°F things start to go south pretty fast. Muscle fibrils tense up very tight, expelling internal moisture in copious amounts—a chop can lose up to 30% of its moisture when cooked to 150°F or higher. Here be dragons. You want to stay away."

I like my pork to come out like jerky and my (edit: wife doesn't.)
Try a teaspoon’s worth of baking soda on the outside of a pork chop and let it set a spell before cooking, (or alternatively, add the same amount to the marinade), this wrenches open the sodium channels in cells which prevents, in turn, proteins from forming the tight clusters they’d normally do, whilst being cooked.

FDA guidelines for like 2018 say 145°F for pork is “okay”.

• Informative
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟145,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can’t be the only one that had this song come to mind with this thread.

I love Pink Floyd. :) Wish the local radio station in my area played the band's songs more. My friend has a few Pink Floyd records, and a total collection of >500 record albums from the 1960s through to the 1990s.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love Pink Floyd. :) Wish the local radio station in my area played the band's songs more. My friend has a few Pink Floyd records, and a total collection of >500 record albums from the 1960s through to the 1990s.
You young people trip me out. I was so surprised that my kids listened to old rock, R&B, and even some country. When I was a kid I strictly listened to rock and roll. I didn't listen to 50s music and I was exposed to Elvis because of my mom.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You young people trip me out. I was so surprised that my kids listened to old rock, R&B, and even some country. When I was a kid I strictly listened to rock and roll. I didn't listen to 50s music and I was exposed to Elvis because of my mom.
Composer Phillip Glass made a record call “Music in 12 Parts” 50+ years ago and is mostly only music because it’s not anything else.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟365,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I bet That's a why you can barely find pork these days. The Kennedy's have pull.(No pun intended). Btw, the danger in pork has always been around

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟145,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, well at least for me, I am tired of the autotuned trap/hip-hop junk or worldly individualist music that is released on the radio nowadays. Old-school stuff is better. For newer music, I prefer small artists that never, or rarely make it to the radio.

This is a screenshot of just a few songs that I have on my laptop. Notice how none of it is modern hip-hop, and if the stuff is from the 21st century, it is folk, indie, or dance? Yes, young people are funny individuals. Stuff in yellow is folk, or old songs.

1715227409018.png

1715227619746.png

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Composer Phillip Glass made a record call “Music in 12 Parts” 50+ years ago and is mostly only music because it’s not anything else.
This dude had a long career I think this is his last. Wild stuff. "Prophecies" (from Koyaanisqatsi) were used in the finale of Season 4 Volume 1 (2022)."

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,210,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟327,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I bet That's a why you can barely find pork these days. The Kennedy's have pull.(No pun intended). Btw, the danger in pork has always been around
I have no difficulty finding pork. While I don't eat a ton of meat these days, my meat consumption is split roughly 50/50 between chicken and pork as beef has gotten too expensive to justify buying it with any regularity.

There's always an element of danger when it comes to any food - trichinella worms can be in any meat (they were just more common in pork because pigs are omnivorous), chicken frequently has salmonella, we keep having outbreaks of e.coli on lettuce, etc. As long as you prepare and cook your food properly (which does not mean overcooking it), the danger is minimal.

Upvote 0