✟95,055.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
After the last supper, John 13:

36 Simon Peter asked him, "Lord, where are you going?" Jesus replied, "Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later."
Jesus did not give Peter a clear and direct answer.

At the end of Chapter 14, Jesus decided a change in scenery:

31 “Come now; let us leave."
Jesus continued to tell his disciples more in Chapter 15 and Chapter 16:

1 “All this I have told you so that you will not fall away. 2 They will put you out of the synagogue; in fact, the time is coming when anyone who kills you will think they are offering a service to God. 3 They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me. 4 I have told you this, so that when their time comes you will remember that I warned you about them. I did not tell you this from the beginning because I was with you, 5 but now I am going to him who sent me. None of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6 Rather, you are filled with grief because I have said these things.
In this scene, unlike earlier, the disciples were totally absorbed by what Jesus had been saying. They no longer asked him, "Where are you going?" There is no contradiction between John 13:36 and 16:5.

29 Then Jesus’ disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. 30 Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.”
Sometimes, when we ask God a question, he does not immediately give us a clear answer. However, God will answer clearly at the right time even when we have stopped asking the question.

Reactions: Vambram

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
After the last supper, John 13:

Jesus did not give Peter a clear and direct answer.

At the end of Chapter 14, Jesus decided a change in scenery:

Jesus continued to tell his disciples more in Chapter 15 and Chapter 16:

In this scene, unlike earlier, the disciples were totally absorbed by what Jesus had been saying. They no longer asked him, "Where are you going?" There is no contradiction between John 13:36 and 16:5.

Sometimes, when we ask God a question, he does not immediately give us a clear answer. However, God will answer clearly at the right time even when we have stopped asking the question.
One of my favorite human quotes, CS Lewis, from 'Til We Have Faces" (A Fable Retold) "I saw well why the gods do not speak to us openly, nor let us answer. Till that word can be dug out of us, why should they hear the babble that we think we mean? How can they meet us face to face till we have faces?"

I think most of our questions are dishonest, assuming things that are not so, and desiring answers on our terms. We think them honest because we do not know better, but it is deception from within us that asks.

Upvote 0